Menu

What To Use for 7th Grade/Beyond After Completing Singapore 6B

JBJones

I'm trying to figure out what to use after completing Singapore 6B. While DD scored very high in math on her last ST, she seems to sometimes struggle with critical thinking (we have been putting in extra work here) and gets stressed out very easily. I struggle with trying to find the right words to ensure that I explain everything correctly/the best way for her to understand. She does math totally different than I do. (We also use TT and I plan on throwing in LOF for variety this coming school year.) This is my question: What would be the best math curriculum for us starting in 7th grade? I need one that has tons of in depth explanations ( for me and her), lots of examples, and some to lots of review.

I know there are threads that discuss math curriculums for after S- 6B, but I need to know which one would have the best in depth explanations, etc. Thank-you for your help. I'm trying to make my plans in advance.

We have used Mathematics: a human endeavour by Jacobs to help with critical thinking. It is a pre-algebra book, but focuses on investigations and unusual topics in math, rather than on number crunching. It is excellent for developing mathematical thinking.

Ruth in NZ

Sorry you didn't get more replies. This question has come up many, many times on this forum. If you do a search, say, "after+singapore", you will find most of those threads.

Some people go on to DM or NEM. Most American homeschoolers go on to a Pre-Algebra program. Some advanced kids go directly to an Algebra program.

Hope that helps.

In terms of review, Horizons Pre-A is excellent for that because of the "spiral" format. However, the explanations in the student book & TM are IMHO lacking compared to Singapore DM. DD is doing a combo of DM & Horizons. With a bright child, I would drop TT and substitue Horizons as the complement to Singapore.

My 7th grader is going on to Lial's BCM and then into Lial's Introductory Algebra. We weighed out our choices (DM, NEM, something entirely different, etc.) and decided on BCM b/c I already had Intro Alg. to use and figured he might as well get used to Lial's style and format, kwim?

I liked the format and layout of Galore Park SYRWL Maths. It 's not mind-blowing or inspiring, but it's not pricey, it offers plenty of practice and is not intimidating. I supplement with CWP and Zaccaro for trickier word problems.

I liked the format and layout of Galore Park SYRWL Maths. It 's not mind-blowing or inspiring, but it's not pricey, it offers plenty of practice and is not intimidating. I supplement with CWP and Zaccaro for trickier word problems.

I did like Galore Park maths, but I think that it needs more continual review: some topics only come up once a year, which was too infrequently for Calvin. The author said that there had been plans for more review of previous topics to keep them fresh, but the books were too large already. I used these books for review - the syllabus is similar, so it worked well.

L

To those who feel Singapore curricula don't have enough review, did you know that Singapore publishers put out a multitude of 'assessment books' at the secondary school level for extra practice? You can get them from popular.com.sg if you pay the international postage. Sgbox.com may also carry them, or may bring them in to the US if you ask.

For my son who seems to need incremental and clear math instruction, I am moving to a pre-A Dolciani text (1985) next year after SM level 6. I cannot give feedback on how well this has worked because we haven't started it, but he and I both like the way it is presented. I am repeating pre-A concepts rather than jumping straight into Algebra to build his confidence and make sure the concepts are solid.

Guest rsummer

I am thinking of moving to Life of Fred Fractions/Decimals after 5B then completing that series. Did you use Standards edition by chance? I'm stressed about not having a HIG for it!