Menu

s/o How do your college students spend their summers - brag alert

I've been facebook messaging ds19 who is spending the summer between his freshman and sophmore year doing research on campus. He sounds like he loves his work. He is studying the dna relationships between the species of the tulip trees in North America and East Asia. I actually understood some of what he was talking about (hey, I watched the OJ trials.) He has had to do some troubleshooting to find out why there was DNA in the control batches - only to find out that they had some contaminated reagents. He is getting some excellent mentoring from his professor. Also, they have weekly department meetings where they mentor the research assistants on how to write research proposals. They will get lots of practice which will help him when he has to do independent research as an upper classman.

He has had a couple of departmental picnics, a frisbee golf outing and just hanging out. Apartment living has not been his undoing (Praise God.) He is so indecisive about food and can get low blood sugar while deciding what to eat :glare: . But, he appears to be managing well and making a lunch to take to work every day.

This is the kid that I had to practically shove out the door to go away to college. I had to make the phone calls to set up college visits. I had to hold his hand and/or prod him to get his applications done. (Or I was sure I would have 40 year-old unemployed genius living in my basement.) He has matured so much in the last year. He has matured so much in the last two weeks. I am so proud of my shy, reticent boy. :hurray:

That is great. It is really cool to see our "kids" grow.

My oldest daughter just finished her freshman year. She is taking Chemistry and Multivariable Calculus this summer while living at home. She changed majors from Art to Mechanical Engineering after first semester and by taking these she will actually be one class ahead of her peers in the fall.

My younger daughter just finished her sophomore year and she is an a math research project in another state. She is doing math modeling in ecology on a project about Mammoth populations and what caused them to die out. She is really enjoying being with people who love math as much as she does and while she is living on campus she is responsible for all her own meals (there is no summer dining plan) so that has been a learning experience for her.

I LOVE these threads relating what our "kids" are doing. It's nice to know they aren't just "gone" after they graduate and go to college.

My oldest is still working at his college and a nearby church while getting ready for his wedding in 4(!!!) weeks.

Middle is researching G Proteins (I'll admit to having to google) in a paid lab job and working on a worldwide Lazy Eye lab job (clinical studies) in an unpaid lab job, both at URoc. He also still has a few hours per week in a paid campus job. He's had far more free time, so we've heard from him more often. It's fun watching him grow and do his own grocery shopping and getting together to do city things with friends - different friends now as there aren't as many students there over the summer.

I'm so glad you started this thread, Ellen, as I was wondering how the other summer research interns are faring and if all you moms are walking around with stupid grins on your faces, like I am, due to being so darn happy for and proud of our kids.

This is the kid that I had to practically shove out the door to go away to college. I had to make the phone calls to set up college visits. I had to hold his hand and/or prod him to get his applications done. (Or I was sure I would have 40 year-old unemployed genius living in my basement.) He has matured so much in the last year. He has matured so much in the last two weeks. I am so proud of my shy, reticent boy.

Finding good professors who not only challenge our students but engage them as academic peers is just priceless. What can be better than having a real mentorship and doing real science? I'm so happy to hear it is going well!!

My oldest daughter just finished her freshman year. She is taking Chemistry and Multivariable Calculus this summer while living at home. She changed majors from Art to Mechanical Engineering after first semester and by taking these she will actually be one class ahead of her peers in the fall.

I would think having some talent and skill in art would actually make for a better engineer. How very cool.

My younger daughter just finished her sophomore year and she is an a math research project in another state. She is doing math modeling in ecology on a project about Mammoth populations and what caused them to die out. She is really enjoying being with people who love math as much as she does and while she is living on campus she is responsible for all her own meals (there is no summer dining plan) so that has been a learning experience for her.

Finding those friendships, too, with others who love the same subject, is another priceless benefit of a good college experience. As is figuring out meals in a college dorm when there is no meal plan. My ds will have 4 weeks of that later this summer!

My oldest is....getting ready for his wedding in 4(!!!) weeks.

Every time I read this I think "wait,what?!" then I remember I had read this before. I remember back when other old time board members had kids getting married, but their kids were always so much older than mine that it seemed a regular part of life. Now the "kids" getting married are closer in age to my own kids and it boggles my mind. Wow. And Congratulations!!

Middle is researching G Proteins (I'll admit to having to google) in a paid lab job and working on a worldwide Lazy Eye lab job (clinical studies) in an unpaid lab job, both at URoc. He also still has a few hours per week in a paid campus job. He's had far more free time, so we've heard from him more often. It's fun watching him grow and do his own grocery shopping and getting together to do city things with friends - different friends now as there aren't as many students there over the summer.

I love it! Another fabulous research opportunity. Don't you just love having our kids now being the expert and "teaching" us about a topic?

My ds is almost through with his 2 week research stint in Iceland. He is part of a team studying the formation of sub-glacial pillow lavas along the section of the mid-Atlantic ridge that is in Iceland. He has been doing GIS mapping and sample collecting, not to mention getting lowered into a magma chamber of a (obviously) dormant volcano. He said he has learned so much and his geologist's eye has been honed to recognize intrusions and xenoliths. And he had a day to explore Reykjavik. After being in the cold arctic for 2 weeks he heads next to the hot desert of Utah for more volcanic research.

I can't find enough superlatives to describe how wonderful all these experiences are, on so many different levels. Yay us! And bravo to our kids for continuing to make us so stinkin' proud!

My ds is almost through with his 2 week research stint in Iceland. He is part of a team studying the formation of sub-glacial pillow lavas along the section of the mid-Atlantic ridge that is in Iceland. He has been doing GIS mapping and sample collecting, not to mention getting lowered into a magma chamber of a (obviously) dormant volcano. He said he has learned so much and his geologist's eye has been honed to recognize intrusions and xenoliths. And he had a day to explore Reykjavik. After being in the cold arctic for 2 weeks he heads next to the hot desert of Utah for more volcanic research.

I can't find enough superlatives to describe how wonderful all these experiences are, on so many different levels. Yay us! And bravo to our kids for continuing to make us so stinkin' proud!

Wow! All of these research summer opportunities sound just amazing! Are these all undergrads? Where are they in school? (just because I'm curious! I have heard a lot about how colleges are so different in terms of whether or not undergrads get to experience really innovative research opportunities, or if they are more reserved for the grad students.)

Is the student above majoring in geology?

Wow! All of these research summer opportunities sound just amazing! Are these all undergrads? Where are they in school? (just because I'm curious! I have heard a lot about how colleges are so different in terms of whether or not undergrads get to experience really innovative research opportunities, or if they are more reserved for the grad students.)

Yes, all these research positions are held by undergrads. And I agree each project sounds really, really interesting! One of the things we looked for when researching colleges was ample opportunity for undergrad research. It is more likely to happen in a smaller school where there aren't grad students, though there are a few lucky undergrads in big state U's that will get to do research. I seem to remember Creekland's ds was also looking for research opportunities during the college search process. I hope she, Ellen and Tania reply with their stories.

Yes my ds is a geology major. He just finished his freshman year, and a year ago hadn't even considered geology as a major. He just knew he wanted to major in science, probably either physics or chemistry and/or math. He took a geology course fall semester on a whim, and loved it and loved the professor who wrote next to his grade on his first midterm "ever considered majoring in geology?". It is this same professor who is leading the research in Iceland.

Many small liberal arts colleges encourage original research projects during the senior year. The school that both my son and Jane in NC's son attend requires it, and has designed the entire 4 year program to prepare the student for it. They also offer lots of funding for travel related to the research, and many students get to present their work at professional meetings. Anyway -- research opportunities is something to consider when the time comes to search for colleges.

Middle son (my research guy - oldest is doing accounting/business with no desire for research) just finished his freshman year at U Rochester - a medium sized university that is also a "small" research U (small in quotes because it's not really a small school, just small for a research U). He was deliberately looking for research as an undergrad and over 75% of UR's undergrads do research. Having so many participate provides a community of similar minded students. Not all start in or right after freshman year, but he wanted to, so networked around and had 3 offers - 2 of which he accepted for the summer. His paid job will continue into the fall, but he can't work 30 - 40 hours in the labs once school starts, so will cut back to 10 - 20 hours. The grad students he is working with (and the profs) are showing him the ropes and have included him in their "crew." While he's doing some of the "basic" stuff now (cleaning, preparing) they are also showing him what is going on with the specific projects and he's picking up on that quickly too - truly getting involved. He's enjoying it far better than if he'd come home and spent the summer working in a food factory (as oldest did and many of his friends are doing).

It is important to pick schools carefully if your student wants to participate in research. Middle son spent a bit of time on school websites looking to see what the departments/profs were researching to know if he was even interested in potentially joining them. U Rochester literally has oodles of research options - he only applied/networked to those he had an interest in. Some schools have just a few options. Those are good if you know you like those options and feel you'll get a spot in one. Other schools have none - and their students have to apply elsewhere for summers if they want to do things. (Many times these schools have "usual" schools their students apply to.) These students seldom get to continue through the school year.

And, of course, some students don't care to research (my oldest is an example). Not all need to follow the same path to be successful. But for those who do want research, spend more time checking out what is available when doing school searches. My middle guy was sold on URoc when he spent the night and was talking with students about what they were researching - real undergrads doing real research and happy to talk about it. (Of course, URoc had already made his first cut from their website.)

There just seem to be so many choices, where to begin! We visited the physics department at the local uni and they talked about the amazing research their undergrads were doing, because they don't have a grad program, and I was really impressed. It made me rethink the college selection process. But it still feels overwhelming, and I don't know where to begin.

There just seem to be so many choices, where to begin! We visited the physics department at the local uni and they talked about the amazing research their undergrads were doing, because they don't have a grad program, and I was really impressed. It made me rethink the college selection process. But it still feels overwhelming, and I don't know where to begin.

My suggestion is to visit more schools (more types as well as more in number). One can only learn so much when visiting one school in the same manner that one can only see so much when looking at one car or taking one vacation. Once you have more experience by looking at others, then you can start to differentiate what you like or don't. You'll start to get a feel for fit.

Then too, if you think grad school or professional school is possibly in the future, check to see where recent grads have gone and what their stats were. This will give you an idea of what can be attainable from College A if your student can match up to previous students. It's no guarantee, of course - they'll still need to prove themselves and do the work to get there - but it's shown what can be.

Once you have some scores (SAT/ACT/PSAT and others) you can start to compare where you think your student is likely to get in. For the best research opportunities, 'tis better to be in the upper portion of students at the school, not middle of the pack or lower (with the exception of really non-score dependent majors). Researchers prefer students who are doing well academically (in their class and/or at the college - not SAT/ACT at that point) to those who are middle of the pack or lower.

Lucky me! My son is doing an archaeological dig at a site close to home so, even though he is living with the other students, we can see him when he has free time. Yesterday we took him out for lunch; today I dropped off some homemade biscotti. We try not to bother him too much since collegiality with other participants is so important. They do group cooking during the week--a great way to wind down after being in the hot sun for much of the day.

At the end of June he returns to the site in Britain where he attended a field school last summer. This year he has a junior supervisory position and received a grant to cover his airfare.

To Grantmom: Read Colleges that Change Lives.

This makes me jealous. We lived in Iceland, on the now closed Keflavik naval base for 2 years. I loved it. I still want to go back for a visit some day.

My daughter is an undergrad,she just finished her sophomore year. She attends a very small LAC and learned about several summer research opportunities from her advisor, who is the head of the math department. She applied for 2 different projects this year and chose this one.

My other daughter attends a large state university and her school requires students to complete an internship or research project in order to graduate so they are quite helpful when it comes to finding opportunities.

Ds attends Hope College which prides itself as one of the top schools for undergraduate research. We started focusing in on smaller schools after reading Colleges that Change Lives, which opened our eyes to the benefits of smaller LACs. (dh and I both went to large Big Ten universities and we knew that it was unlikely that undergrads would ever have a relationship with a professor, let alone research opportunities.) Hope was one that stood out as far as science was concerned. Even though he liked the other schools on his list and could see himself as being happy at any of those schools, when ds was accepted to Hope's Honors Biology program, the decision was made. Their Honors Bio program does viral genomics research for Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Although ds has no interest in medicine, he has learned valuable research skills and the genomics emphasis will help him with his goal of becoming an evolutionary biologist. Ds will probably end up in academia, so the opportunities to do research early and often really made sense for him. He also was attracted to the fact that it was a solid bio program with enough of an organismal emphasis to keep him happy (rather than a bio program that is largely pre-professional.) They have a large percentage of students who go on to get PhDs.

As far as his research position goes, he is a full-time paid summer research intern. He will make much more there than he would at home either as a lifeguard (only 15-20 hours a week) or competing for minimum wage jobs with adults who are out of work.) He also gets a deal on housing. He may have the opportunity to continue doing research with this professor during the school year - working fewer hours, obviously. He may choose not to because he has to take Organic Chemistry (the GPA-buster) next year. They like to get kids in research early on campus and then help them find off-campus opportunites as upper classmen so that they can start developing relationships with professors at bigger universities where they may apply for grad school.

Ditto what Creekland says!! Great advice.