Menu

Possible move to Atlanta area, advice please!

lamolina

We may be moving to the Atlanta area in the next year. My husband would be working in the SW corner of Atlanta, right at the edge of the perimeter. I don't know for sure if we will be homeschooling all our children or not, but either way I would like to live in an area with good schools for resale purposes.

Do you all have any suggestions on areas or cities to live in?

I have looked at Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Newnan, and Tyrone. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions for me!? Also, any other cities or areas that you like that would be easily accessible to work? I don't want my husband to have a super long commute and I have heard the traffic is pretty bad!

Thanks so much!

I have looked at Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Newnan, and Tyrone. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions for me!? Also, any other cities or areas that you like that would be easily accessible to work? I don't want my husband to have a super long commute and I have heard the traffic is pretty bad!

We lived in Peachtree City for 15 years. MISS IT!!! Would move back in a heartbeat if dh could work there again but he loves how his career has evolved since moving. He worked near the airport. We were on the south side of Peachtree City so it took about 40 minutes, which we consider to be a reasonable commute. Traffic on the north side is MUCH worse. What I love about Peachtree City? Walking or driving golf carts to the store and restaurants. Golf cart parking at the shopping centers. Concerts at the Fred. The world's funnest 4th of July parade. People that care about their community. Schools are good (mine went to school there, we didn't homeschool until we left) but there are many homeschoolers too. Oh, and the best pizza is at Partners Pizza. You have to try the baked potato pizza. I will get to visit there in a couple of weeks and always get my potato pizza!!!

There are at least two others on the board who have lived or live in Peachtree City. Hopefully, they will chime in too.

If you move to Georgia, be aware that some public school districts there have lost their accreditation. Whether you home school or you kids go to public school, as you wrote, that does affect the resale value of your property. GL

If you move to Georgia, be aware that some public school districts there have lost their accreditation. Whether you home school or you kids go to public school, as you wrote, that does affect the resale value of your property. GL

That isn't an issue in either of the counties she has mentioned. Both of those are fine as far as that goes.

I did read about the school issues in DeKalb county and of course the issues with the Atlanta school district. I expect we may be in this house for quite a while so super fast resale is not an issue (although we said that with the last house too!)

Thanks for the input on Peachtree City! I do really like what I have heard of it. What do you think of the towns around that general area? We would be moving back from South America and I really don't want to be in an area that is all about keeping up with the Jones, if that makes any sense!

Do you think the extra cost of living in PTC is worth it, even if we don't use the schools?

Thanks for the input on Peachtree City! I do really like what I have heard of it. What do you think of the towns around that general area? We would be moving back from South America and I really don't want to be in an area that is all about keeping up with the Jones, if that makes any sense!

Do you think the extra cost of living in PTC is worth it, even if we don't use the schools?

I loved the lifestyle in PTC. Although some of the towns around it have replicated some of what is great about PTC, it's not the same. The schools are only one part of the package. There is some keeping up with the Jones but I think you have that everywhere to some extent.

Does anyone know anything about any good charter or magnet schools? I am always interested in schools that are kind of outside the box. My kids went to a school for a while in a school with something called the responsive classroom. It was a totally different school philosophy and very interesting!

Does anyone know anything about any good charter or magnet schools? I am always interested in schools that are kind of outside the box. My kids went to a school for a while in a school with something called the responsive classroom. It was a totally different school philosophy and very interesting!

I would love to live in Peachtree City or maybe Senoia. We go to church in Fayetteville and just bought land out there. I think there was a charter school in Tyrone but I will have to check to see if there still is one.

Where will your husband be working? That would make a difference to me on how far out I would move.

just fyi: Walking Dead is filmed in Senoia.

There are two charter schools in our area. I am in the Newnan area and would be happy to answer any questions. The schools are good minus a couple in our county and (one we happen to be in :/ ) there is a huge homeschooling population here. www.enchea.org is the largest homeschool association for our area with two major elementary co-ops, even options of middle school and high school students. They have formal proms, graduations, field trips, etc.. It is a great association.

charter school links (I have no experience with these but have heard good things about them as well.)

http://odysseycharterschool.net/

http://cowetacharter.org/

eta: PTC is still a great town as well but Newnan has truly boomed lately and many families are moving from that area to ours.

He would be working right outside the SW corner of the perimeter. With that in mind, would you all say live South? Not in Atlanta somewhere? How about West?

I really haven't made any decisions about schooling yet but like to know all the options!

To me it looks like Peachtree is much more expensive for housing than the surrounding areas.

He would be working right outside the SW corner of the perimeter. With that in mind, would you all say live South? Not in Atlanta somewhere? How about West?

I really haven't made any decisions about schooling yet but like to know all the options!

To me it looks like Peachtree is much more expensive for housing than the surrounding areas.

yes, if he is working on the southside, stay south of Atlanta. You can move west but traffic on i-20 is horrible. Best traffic is coming up i-85. it takes DH 30 minutes to get to work from Newnan exit. Peachtree city is more expensive your drive may be slightly shorter but not by more than five minutes or so. Newnan has some pricey housing as well, don't let it fool you! You can get out of the town no matter which town you choose and find nice plots of secluded properties!

Absolutely. We initially considered buying in Sharpsburg to get more house for our money, but I am so glad we decided on Peachtree City. There is a very small town feel to the community, and the golf cart paths make life fun~I can't tell you how many times we decided we needed a quick break from school and got on the golf cart path for a ride to the lake or park to re-energize. It has also been nice as my little ones grew to be teens, and could run errands for me on the golf carts...big plus!

I think Sharpsburg and Tyrone have similar small town atmospheres; Fayetteville and Newnan are larger and busier. In fact, I avoid the co-op someone else listed (enchea) because Newnan is too busy for me and I don't want to deal with the drive or traffic. Many others from PtC participate however, so it just depends on your tolerance for car drives. There are several other academic

co-ops in the area though (and a hybrid school I keep seeing emails about) if that is what you are looking for.

Also, fyi, Tyrone recently shut their elementary school doors and students are being sent to other towns.

Hth!

Absolutely. We initially considered buying in Sharpsburg to get more house for our money, but I am so glad we decided on Peachtree City. There is a very small town feel to the community, and the golf cart paths make life fun~I can't tell you how many times we decided we needed a quick break from school and got on the golf cart path for a ride to the lake or park to re-energize. It has also been nice as my little ones grew to be teens, and could run errands for me on the golf carts...big plus!

I think Sharpsburg and Tyrone have similar small town atmospheres; Fayetteville and Newnan are larger and busier. In fact, I avoid the co-op someone else listed (enchea) because Newnan is too busy for me and I don't want to deal with the drive or traffic. Many others from PtC participate however, so it just depends on your tolerance for car drives. There are several other academic

co-ops in the area though (and a hybrid school I keep seeing emails about) if that is what you are looking for.

Also, fyi, Tyrone recently shut their elementary school doors and students are being sent to other towns.

Hth!

Miss the paths so much.......... As to co-ops, do you know if there is still one at Providence UMC? I heard they started one shortly after we moved. For the OP, that would be right on the PTC/Fayetteville line, on the southeastern side. I think we would have started homeschooling while still there if we'd stayed any longer............................

There is definitely a different feel to the areas of PTC/Fayetteville and Newnan areas. I don't think you can go wrong with either area. I wouldn't say stay away from either one. I remember when PTC was the "big" town and the horrible traffic. Newnan definitely has grown in size and has more traffic now..

There is definitely a different feel to the areas of PTC/Fayetteville and Newnan areas. I don't think you can go wrong with either area. I wouldn't say stay away from either one. I remember when PTC was the "big" town and the horrible traffic. Newnan definitely has grown in size and has more traffic now..

Traffic in PTC is only bad at a few key intersections, most of which can be avoided unless traveling from Newnan to PTC.

There are several other academic co-ops in the area though (and a hybrid school I keep seeing emails about) if that is what you are looking for.

Hth!

thanks for this! Could you tell me any more about the coops, the hybrid, and why Tyrone doesn't have elementary schools!?

why Tyrone doesn't have elementary schools!?

Tyrone's school was very old and very small, a financial drain. I used to sub there and was stunned the school was still open 10 years ago. There are other schools very close, if not closer, to those who live in what is considered "Tyrone".

My DH used to work in PTC. We moved outside of PTC because houses were less expensive. I really regretted it! PTC is so nice and living outside of it you miss almost everything that PTC has to offer. It's not like most towns where you are only looking at driving a little farther for all the amenities. Your resale value in PTC will be very good and that will be important in the Atlanta metro because the housing market there has fallen drastically. It will take decades for values to come up in many of the surrounding towns. You don't want to live in ATL if you want more house for the money. The area where your DH works will make the commute in and out not too bad.

If you don't want the PTC lifestyle, then most areas on your list will be cheaper and fine. Schools in Fayette Co. are almost all going to be pretty decent. When you start looking in other counties, you need to be more careful. Clayton Co was the one that lost its accreditation.

Thanks for the input Cathie and Paige. PTC is sounding really great. I am excited to come up there and look around, but that won't happen for a few months still.

Does anyone think there are any cities to the Northwest that would be a doable commute, or would they all be really bad to get down to the SW corner of the perimeter? I ask only because my husband will also have to drive up to Rome, GA at least once a week.

Thanks!

Several people I know do drive from Marietta, where Iive, to the airport for work. However, most are pilots or flight attendants and don't do it every day. I do have a Hartsfield-Jackson air traffic controller on my street who regularly commutes to the airport. If you want more information on Marietta, let me know. We have lived here for 17 years.

Several people I know do drive from Marietta, where Iive, to the airport for work. However, most are pilots or flight attendants and don't do it every day. I do have a Hartsfield-Jackson air traffic controller on my street who regularly commutes to the airport. If you want more information on Marietta, let me know. We have lived here for 17 years.

Would not want to do that drive on a daily basis! I hated when I had to drive to the north side for appointments, etc. Traffic was horrid, even when it wasn't rush hour.

My husband wouldn't complain about it, but I don't want him to get home late every night because he is sitting in traffic. The kids need their Daddy time! But, he will also have to go to Rome so we need to take that into account at least a little bit. I think it will likely be 1 drive to Rome per week.

So, it sounds like if we want the shortest commute possible that we are really only looking at the southern suburbs? Tyrone, Senoia, Newnan Sharpsburg, PTC, Fayetteville. Any others towards the SW side of town that we should consider?