Menu

Living In A Fifth Wheel/RV?

Outdoorsy Type

Have we done a thread like this? I have been searching, but haven't found anything.

We close on our house next month, and are setting off in a fifth wheel for the summer. :) dh is in between jobs, and we aren't sure how long we will be in transition or where we will ultimately end up. We are ready for adventure!

What sort of things would you count absolutely necessary for light schooling over the summer?

I have Teaching Textbook DVDs and a computer that we can use over the summer, and I have kindles for books. We also have an IPad for apps and online content.

Then there are just the basics of figuring out how much clothing to pack, how many toys, how many "real books"etc.

Any advice from those who have btdt?

Thanks!

How old are your kids? Do you usually do school year-round?

I think I would forget about most traditional subjects and informally study the places you'll be visiting on your trip, visit historic sites, landmarks, and other places of interest, and leave the textbooks at home.

If you want to do some math, I think TT is a great option, because you could leave the books at home and just use the CDs.

Have a wonderful trip!!!

We live and travel in one full time. Honestly, other than math, the road provides a killer education. This month alone we have been to two state capitols, a wind farm, the beach, the mountains, two museums and a science center (slightly busier than a usual month). We've also met a man who travels the country with several large pythons (which we held), and a group of guys that is touring on the bluegrass circuit. If you look around the road is very fulfilling.

I buy field guides of the area we are in, and I make sure to have plenty of blank journals.

If this is a temporary journey for you, I saw give up formal schooling for the summer and just explore!

Have fun!! (The kids will get a great mechanics class after your rv breaks down five times in five hours!)

Oh and I totally agree that it's not like a regular house for organization. Don't be afraid to keep books in the bathroom, or under the kitchen sink. It took me a while to figure out that not everything is going to have a dedicated separate place like in a house.

I agree that traveling is an education in and of itself.

Make sure you consider weight limits when you're packing, both on the 5th wheel and on your tow vehicle. I think it's very, very common for RVs to be overweight. That creates a danger for the passengers and everyone else on the road. And of course "real" books are quite heavy.

We only use our RV for vacations, but it took me awhile to figure out how best to organize things. We've had it for six years now and I'm really still learning what works best.

For a couple of months I could probably handle it, I thought you were going to say you were moving in permanently and I was getting claustrophobic just thinking about it! :crying:

Sounds like it could be great fun!