Menu

Let's talk about 6th grade science curriculums

Guest For Narnia

Guest For Narnia

My son is wanting to begin his 6th grade science over the summer (NOT complaining!!) We have never done a formal science cur., though, so I am not too familiar with what is out there. Maybe someone can help me weigh the options. We are wanting it to be very hands on, and heavy on experiments/labs, not so intense so a to freak him out. Whadya think?

My son is wanting to begin his 6th grade science over the summer (NOT complaining!!) We have never done a formal science cur., though, so I am not too familiar with what is out there. Maybe someone can help me weigh the options. We are wanting it to be very hands on, and heavy on experiments/labs, not so intense so a to freak him out. Whadya think?

Welcome! Perhaps it would be helpful if you read through this 6th grade planning thread to see what some of us are planning, then come back with more specific questions. Once you've narrowed down your choices, and gained an idea of specific programs that appeal to your taste (secular or not; based on a textbook, living books, narrative books, encyclopedias, online, pre-recorded DVD, etc.), its much easier to address pros and cons.

I gave up on homeschool science curricula and switched to Holt Science and Technology. Best year of science we've had! The kids love it, there are fun labs to do, and hrw.com has tons of supplemental material. It also has SciLinks. You can buy the texts used on Amazon for under $10.

Tara

We are wanting it to be very hands on, and heavy on experiments/labs, not so intense so a to freak him out. Whadya think?

Explorations Education fits this description fairly well, probably at the advanced level.

Other things we are kicking around

CPO Physical Science

Conceptual Physical Science

Prentice Hall Science Explorer

ACS Middle School Chemistry

Sorry I didn't provide links, I am on a mobile device.

I've used BJU Science 6 with 2 boys now, and we love it. It is a gentle intro to textbook reading for those who have used a relaxed approach to science in their homeschools (which was our situation), and it has quite a few fun experiments and activities in it...probably more than you can get done. I always picked at least one per chapter.

After a year of trying to get CPO to work for us, i think we are going with living books, experiments and Spectrum Science (which both my son and i like a lot, and it gets done) spectrum is a simple, cheap workbook--basically reading comp for science, but we have both learned a lot using it. I am tired of trying to find a curriculum that works for us when we all really enjoy science anyway.