Menu

"Learning Language Arts Through Literature" NEED HELP!!!!

Lanette

First of all, I'm brand new to this forum and I really hope I'm posting this in the right location....

I will be homeschooling my two sons, ages 6 & 8, in the fall for the first time. They are both kind of advanced for their age groups, but I don't want them moving ahead too quickly because I want them to have firm foundations in language arts. Both boys LOVE reading, writing, etc. but one prefers non-fiction and the other prefers fiction. So when I ran across LLATL, I thought I'd found the perfect curriculum for their likes! I wanted some type of curriculum that allowed me to customize it as needed, but something that wouldn't leave me spending hundreds of dollars. And for our first year homeschooling, I REALLY don't want to do that because I know how common it is for home school rookies to discard stuff after the first year and I don't want to waste a lot of money.

I found the red (grade 2) set at a library and after going through it extensively, I thought it would be perfect for my 6 yr old. It does seem to be a little below grade level and he's supposed to be going into the first grade. Well, he just took it upon himself to read one of the books a few minutes ago that's meant for like week 16. He read one of the stories and understood it (with ease) and was able to understand the comprehension questions with ease. He's a super speller and while some exercises (like the handwriting) look like they may be useful, I'm wondering if this level will be too easy for him. BUT I don't want to move him up to the next level because I feel like that would be jumping him head too fast and I could cause him to not cover important material.

I hope someone can help me and keep me from stressing out even more so than I already am! Thanks in advance!

Why don't you go ahead and start it now? Just give him some whenever he is interested or when there is down time suggest that he do some. Whenever he is finished move on to the next LLATL or whatever product you decide to use after that. :)

Mandy

Why don't you go ahead and start it now? Just give him some whenever he is interested or when there is down time suggest that he do some. Whenever he is finished move on to the next LLATL or whatever product you decide to use after that. :)

Mandy

I think I may do that. I was thinking about either doing that, or starting halfway through the book (after I made sure he knew everything else) at the beginning of the school year. The boys will be coming out of public schools and they always enjoy doing some form of small workbook activities during the summer.

I like LLATL, but I used it a grade 'below'. My 5.5 year old is doing Red. He'll start Yellow at 6.5 - my oldest did the same with no problems. So I used Blue for K, Red for 1st and Yellow for 2nd.

I will say though, that even doing it this way the readers were easy for them, but they do serve other purposes in the lessons - they use the stories to teach spelling, grammar, narration etc. I also think the literature books in Red are just wonderful.

Also, you can check the skills index in the back of the teacher's book to see more clearly what (and when) is covered, maybe you could just do section 3 if he's ready for it?

Hope that helps!

My dd6 has been working through A Beka Phonics (1st grade- bleh!!) and now we've gotten to the part where they explain all the weird spelling rules with all the unnecessary jargon that gets even MY head spinning. :willy_nilly:

I'm about to start her in LLATL Red. She is an excellent reader but I still feel she needs the phonics review. LLATL does a fantastic job of explaining the phonics rules in a kid-friendly way. The reading selections are fantastic. I don't think the point of of language arts and phonics are to drill and drum our kids full of facts but to give them a firm foundation in reading and instill in them a love of reading. Your ds may be able to read the recommended books with ease but the lessons are built around the books. IMHO, would start him with the Red book and if he accelerates quickly, you can skip lessons as needed. My dd8 (almost 9) is still working through the yellow book and it's the perfect fit for her. But my dc are as different as night and day.

I find that, while the reading may not be challenging with LLATL, the activities related to the reading may be more advanced. For example, the related writing assignment may be more difficult than the actual reading of the book. Because of this it may be worthwhile checking all the related skills and activities before moving ahead. Mind you, it's been awhile since I've used Red, but that's what I'm finding with some of the older levels.

For my dd it wasn't the reading, but the writing that was the challenge. She could sit and read an entire reader if I let her (she loves them), but the skills taught are what makes LLATL so good. Someone said kid friendly. I agree. It is understandable and they really learn. The spelling/phonics rules, instead of a huge list, being taught has made my dd's spelling soar. She is able to apply these rules when she needs them. I have actually had to cut back on the amt of writing, because some of the assignments are too long for her. My dd did the Red level as a 7 yo. She in now on week 2 or 3 of the yellow and I love all of it. The grammar is gentle and not like a pounding herd of buffalo. Yet it sticks. This week she will be learning how to use a telephone book. To get more reading practice have your child read from a history reader, or science, or other read aloud book that you are already using. My dd likes to read a Bible story or picture book to me at bedtime after I have read a chapter from our current nighttime read aloud. There are so many ways to have them practice their reading skills, so don't let the readers in the early levels discourage you. When you find your child misspells a word, add it to her spelling list. Or add 1 or 2 months of the year every now and then. I like that the spelling list is short enough to allow me to customize according to my child's need.

I am also looking at LLATL for my ds8 for the fall. I will be using yellow. Is it necessary for me to buy the teachers manual and if I add ETC will that be to much? My ds is just now starting to like to read.

Yes, you need the teacher's guide. There are parts in the student activity book that read "discussion with teacher" or "writing from dictation" and you won't know what to do without the guide. I don't think it would be too much to add ETC. In fact, I hope it's not because that's what I plan to do. :) We took a break from LLATL yellow so that ds wouldn't start orange so soon. In the meantime, we're keeping skills up with ETC, FLL, and WWE. Ds now loves ETC so I know I'll need to keep that when we go back to finish the rest of yellow.

I am also looking at LLATL for my ds8 for the fall. I will be using yellow. Is it necessary for me to buy the teachers manual and if I add ETC will that be to much? My ds is just now starting to like to read.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have the TM. When I did LLATL I didn't always use the TM. For many of my children adding ETC would have been too much.

I rarely use the TM for the yellow. I have not read thru the entire TM for the discussion lessons but so far what I am seeing is like this.

Lesson 4, Day 4 Part a says in the TM---- we learned about adding suffixes to the end of a a word in lessons 2 and 3. Now we will add -ing to words ending in -y.

But the thing is it is right there in the Stu wkbk in the grammar guide instructing the proper way to add -ing to words ending in -y. I just go over the grammar guide box in the wkbk without lugging the huge manual out to help me with the sentence or two above.

Now, like I have said, I have not used the entire year yet, but so far I have not needed the TM. The grammar game played toward the end of the year is described in the TM and not in the Swkbk. There may be more.

I rarely use the TM for the yellow. I have not read thru the entire TM for the discussion lessons but so far what I am seeing is like this.

Lesson 4, Day 4 Part a says in the TM---- we learned about adding suffixes to the end of a a word in lessons 2 and 3. Now we will add -ing to words ending in -y.

But the thing is it is right there in the Stu wkbk in the grammar guide instructing the proper way to add -ing to words ending in -y. I just go over the grammar guide box in the wkbk without lugging the huge manual out to help me with the sentence or two above.

Now, like I have said, I have not used the entire year yet, but so far I have not needed the TM. The grammar game played toward the end of the year is described in the TM and not in the Swkbk. There may be more.

Agreed... with the yellow book you can definitely get by without the TM. After we worked with LLATL.... we went on to Total Lan. Plus. For us it seemed to work a bit better bc it focuses on one general topic throughout the book like... prepositions.... etc...

I would like to add to what I said above. Each week I look at the TM to see if there is anything I am missing just in case. As I was preparing for week 5 I noticed the teacher discussion lessons are a bit more involved in the TM than in the Swkbk. For example Day 3, part a and b if I didn't have the TM I would not know that they have further discussion on practicing looking up proper businesses in the phone book. On Day 5, part a I would not know all of those blanks in the Swkbk are for reviewing past spelling words. And in part b there is a dictation passage to be called out. (Thanks to the poster above who mention dictation---I had not seen this yet)

So while these things can be done without, they do add to the program. I know my dd will enjoy that game in lesson 26. Without the TM I would know nothing of it.

I think it's an absolute must-have. There are lots of "Discussion with teacher" sections that you have to have the TM to do. The Student workbook gives you no hint sometimes what needs to be discussed. We are in Lesson/Week 21 and I just can't imagine going through the program without it. If cost is an issue, you can buy used at a very reasonable price.

As for ETC, I'm not sure but my dd8 would've taken the load okay but would have HATED school. It all depends on the child.

I did buy & use the yellow TM. Agree with the discussion points that simply weren't in the student book. However, yellow was fairly independent for my student otherwise. I believe you can also download e-books from the common sense press website. I don't think adding ETC would be too much, my DD did Classical Writing Primers at the same time as LLATL Yellow last year with no issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...