Menu

jumping into Hake grammar at 8th grade

We've been all over the place with grammar. He did Shurley at co-op in 4th and 5th. Then he did a year of Easy Grammar Plus in 6th. This year, in 7th, he started out with the old Voyages in English (because we went with Kolbe for most subjects). We didn't care for that so we ended up dropping it mid year and now he is working through GWG 8. He has done fine with all these programs though I realize they are not the most rigorous. I'd like him to have one more solid year of grammar in 8th. I have been looking at Hake and am moving my youngest boy into that next year for 5th. Would the 8th grader be able to just jump into Hake 8 without having done the lower levels?

Funny, you ask. I didn't actually use Hake 8. I used Hake 7 for both my 7th and 8th grader. My 8th grader always has a little trouble with grammar which is why I thought he'd be fine with Hake 7. It worked out great. And really, as far as I am concerned it has all the grammar we'll ever need to know. :-)

FWIW, Hake 5 & 6 and then also 7 & 8 are very similar to each other. Our plan is to use Hake 5 spread over 2 years (started in 5th grade), then use Hake 8 spread over two years (starting in 7th grade), and then hopefully we'll be done with formal grammar instruction. (Looking back, if I had realized I would follow this plan, I would have used Hake 6 instead of 5 - those 2 levels teach different concepts in only 8 lessons out of 120+ lessons. I can't recall exactly, but levels 7 & 8 are that similar as well.)

FWIW, Hake 5 & 6 and then also 7 & 8 are very similar to each other. Our plan is to use Hake 5 spread over 2 years (started in 5th grade), then use Hake 8 spread over two years (starting in 7th grade), and then hopefully we'll be done with formal grammar instruction. (Looking back, if I had realized I would follow this plan, I would have used Hake 6 instead of 5 - those 2 levels are different in only 8 lessons out of 120+ lessons. I can't recall exactly, but levels 7 & 8 are that similar as well.)

Thank you very much for this information! We're thinking of starting Hake in the fall, and that is something that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Your plan sounds like a good one.

Thanks for sharing the tips! To the poster spreading one level over 2 years, is that just a personal preference or it it too much to do in one year?

I'm looking to start Hake 6 next fall with my 6th grader and assumed she'd finish it in a year.

Thanks for sharing the tips! To the poster spreading one level over 2 years, is that just a personal preference or it it too much to do in one year?

I'm looking to start Hake 6 next fall with my 6th grader and assumed she'd finish it in a year.

Just personal preference to spread it over 2 years. Once I realized how similar the 5/6 & 7/8 levels are to each other, and considering the high amount of review built-in, it made sense for my DS. This way I'll spend money on only 2 levels instead of 4 and get essentially the same concepts covered. Not much new is introduced between 5/6 and 7/8, although the complexity of the material is slightly higher in 6 & 8 vs. 5 & 7. My DS is strong in LA and just seems to "get" grammar concepts easily.

There are around 110 - 120 lessons, and that's definitely doable in a year if you school 180 days and do 3 lessons per week. DS does one lesson per day on the days we do grammar and it takes him about 15 to 20 minutes per lesson. He does every other review problem (only odds, or only evens) in every lesson, BTW, and that's plenty of review for him.

My ds started Hake 8 this winter and is doing fine with it. He previously did FLL3, most of FLL 4, a bit of CLE 500, some Daily Grams 6, Less than half of R&S 7. We've been more successful getting Hake 8 done than most of the other things we've tried, LOL. (Not because it's easier.... but because it's more user-friendly than R&S and it's accomplishing its purpose better than Daily Grams.)

Is Hake pretty independent? Does your student do it all on their own?

Yes, for us it is independent. The instruction is all in the student text, written to the student, and DS prefers it that way. :coolgleamA: The teacher book is a solutions manual only. DS works on his own and comes to me only when he has a question on new material. Each review question also references the relevant lesson number next to it, so if he has forgotten something, its just a matter of quickly flipping back to that lesson.

FWIW, Hake 5 & 6 and then also 7 & 8 are very similar to each other. Our plan is to use Hake 5 spread over 2 years (started in 5th grade), then use Hake 8 spread over two years (starting in 7th grade), and then hopefully we'll be done with formal grammar instruction. (Looking back, if I had realized I would follow this plan, I would have used Hake 6 instead of 5 - those 2 levels teach different concepts in only 8 lessons out of 120+ lessons. I can't recall exactly, but levels 7 & 8 are that similar as well.)

I totally agree about 5&6 and then 7&8 being very similar.