Menu

Gift registries for high school grads???

ValRN

I just received an email today from a homeschooler who will be graduating and going off to college in the fall. In the email, the student includes that the student has registered at Target and Bed Bath and Beyond.

I've never heard of such a thing a high school grads registering for gifts. Is this a common practice? Am I prude in feeling that this goes against social etiquette and demonstrates that this student EXPECTS people to buy her gifts? I was a bit taken aback by this, but I've been known to overreact to things. Is this a new thing and I'm just behind the times?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/education/article/245042/35/Graduation-gift-registries-The-new-trend

It does look like this is a relatively recent innovation, although I remember getting promotional materials about a graduation gift registry from Target when my daughter was prepping for college.

I don't have an objection to registries in general, but I do know that one is never supposed to put such information on an invitation or announcement. Instead, you just pass it along informally to any guest or well-wisher who asks. If it's done in that way, I don't have a problem with it, since it avoids Mom or the graduate, himself/herself having to get on the phone and verbally suggest items to anyone who calls asking for ideas.

http://www.wkyc.com/...s-The-new-trend

It does look like this is a relatively recent innovation, although I remember getting promotional materials about a graduation gift registry from Target when my daughter was prepping for college.

I don't have an objection to registries in general, but I do know that one is never supposed to put such information on an invitation or announcement. Instead, you just pass it along informally to any guest or well-wisher who asks. If it's done in that way, I don't have a problem with it, since it avoids Mom or the graduate, himself/herself having to get on the phone and verbally suggest items to anyone who calls asking for ideas.

Bolded - Yes, I can understand this, but it was not done in this manner. I guess I'm just a behind the times.

Heigh Ho - It was not an graduation party invitation or an graduation announcement. It was simply an email to say "this is where I'm going and how I'm trying to raise money to get there. Oh, and by the way, I'm registered here and there."

Ah, this may fall under 'crowdsourcing'. Basically you let everyone know what your project is, and if they want to contribute in any way, they can. Usually the request is in person though, or through a friend of the person who supports the mission. Haven't had anyone approach me for college funding, but have had for other, smaller endeavours.

There is a mom I know casually with whom I am friends on Facebook. Her child is graduating from high school this month, and they have set up a page on one of those fund-raising websites, asking people to cover his college expenses. I have to admit this makes me squirm. As with registries, I can see such a thing might make life easier for friends and family who approach the graduate or a parent asking for gift suggestions. But the idea of promoting it to all and sundry on Facebook as though it were a business or a charitable endeavor feels . . . odd.

There is a mom I know casually with whom I am friends on Facebook. Her child is graduating from high school this month, and they have set up a page on one of those fund-raising websites, asking people to cover his college expenses. I have to admit this makes me squirm. As with registries, I can see such a thing might make life easier for friends and family who approach the graduate or a parent asking for gift suggestions. But the idea of promoting it to all and sundry on Facebook as though it were a business or a charitable endeavor feels . . . odd.

The thought of this makes me very uncomfortable. I agree that there may be special circumstances for some students, but I do not feel that something like this should be extended beyond relatives.

Wouldn't we all like for someone else to fund our children's educations?

DH and I feel that it is the parents' responsibility to pay for their child's undergrad degree and the student's responsibility to assist in that funding by earning scholarships. Grad school is the student's responsibility, however, we are committed to helping in whatever capacity we are able to help.

The registry announcement is questionable. The fundraising requests are downright rude! If you want to announce that your kid is looking for lawns to mow or odd jobs to do to earn money for college, I'll be the first to hire him and pay generously for what will likely be mediocre work. If you want handouts, no. Just no.