Menu

I'm much too practical for Romance Novels

Moxie

I'm not turned off by the naughty bits just the exaggeration. No two people are so good together that they turn into a quivering mess every time. Once in awhile, it would be nice to read, "she fell asleep in his arms, not quite satisfied but content that there would be another chance tomorrow". It would be nice if they had to work for it a bit, does that make sense?? But I suppose that wouldn't sell very well. I am finding myself rolling my eyes more then anything.

I think the scenerio you wrote sounds unrealistic for a new relationship. What you're describing is a scene from a 20-year marriage where both people need to get up early in the morning.

Why do so many women like romance novels? Obviously they are hugely popular. Does it help with one's own teA life or is it used for self brewing or....? It seems if someone doesn't have a very satisfying teA life that romance novels would make it worse, but maybe it helps turn a woman on and help with teA with her husband? Anyone know?

I like romance novels, which are not the same as erotica. Not all romance novels have gratuitous sex in them. They are a love story with a happy ending. I like happy endings. There are many romance novels that have no sex in them.

*I like mysteries, science fiction, literary fiction, romance novels, and most any other kind of book.

Nora Roberts is at least believable, for the most part. I like some of her supernatural/romance trilogies.

Blushing in shame, I admit I have read 5 Nora Roberts novels. Two from the In Death series, and the Three Sisters trilogy. That New England witch trilogy reeled me in right away. I promised myself I would never read another Roberts book. I was afraid Roberts would be a gateway drug to Jody Picoult. Turns out Roberts was actually the gateway drug to J.D.Robb.

But no more. ;) I can quit anytime I want.

Blushing in shame, I admit I have read 5 Nora Roberts novels. Two from the In Death series, and the Three Sisters trilogy. That New England witch trilogy reeled me in right away. I promised myself I would never read another Roberts book. I was afraid Roberts would be a gateway drug to Jody Picoult. Turns out Roberts was actually the gateway drug to J.D.Robb.

Oh, I detest Picoult! Her books are infinitely readable, but I feel SO emotionally manipulated!

But why the shame? Why do people feel the need to be embarrassed or ashamed of the fact they read romance novels. I know the very first one I read I snuck it out the library. Yep...under my shirt, I was so embarrassed (I worked in the library at the time so I knew how to get by the security and I did not keep the book, brought it back a day later...snuck it in the same way). No one was going to see me with a romance book. Eventually I realized it was no ones business but mine what I read so now I don't care. BUT why? I even had someone a yr or 2 back make a comment when they found out I read romance books that push the edge, the person said something along the lines of "But I thought you were an intellectual". Grrr.

I live in the real world. I read to escape it and I never read a romance looking for good literature or reality. Some of my favorite authors for romance (some a little beyond that):

Robin Schone (not her newest book)(super spicy)

Amanda Quick (mild)

Nora Roberts(mildish)

J.D. Robb(mildish)

Lora Leigh(spicy)

Linda Howard (medium)

Shayla Black (Spicy)

Shannon Mckenna(super spicy)

Sandra Brown (mildish to medium)

Nalini Singh (mild)

J.R.Ward (medium)

Amy J. Fetzer (mild)

AnnMarie Mckenna (medium)

Y'all know JD Robb and Nora Roberts are the same author, right?

My life has been stressful for the past few months. I decided I needed some brain candy to help me drift off to sleep at night so I bought a cheap romance novel off of Amazon and downloaded it to my phone.

It's fine. The writing isn't terrible, the story is ok. Two people who are trapped on an island, shock, fall in love.

All I can think is "it's been a week without a shave, she looks like a gorilla by now" and "all that nekkid time on the beach is going to lead to some unfortunate sunburns and sand in bad places". Plus, I'm getting a little tired of his "member" that must have magic powers based on the way she is turned on by it. Seriously, no one is that talented.

Are there any realistic romance novels or do I need to try harder to shut off my brain??

I totally want the name of this island love story please. Unrealism sounds great to me after the last two weeks I've had!!

Another vote for Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series, I just wanted to be adopted into that family.