Menu

Latin

mhaddon

I am planning on starting Latin next year. I was thinking of MP Prima Latina for my boys, but know that it isn't the only Latin program. Any other recomendations?

Also, if you started Latin in 1 or 3rd (I will have both grades) did you also run a grammar program? If so I was debating between Shirley Grammar or Rod and staff.

Suggestions and recomendations would be wonderful!

We are doing Song School Latin for a fun intro before Prima Latina. It is the highlight of our school day....and it works. Today, I asked DS how he was (he looked upset a bit after gymnastics) and he said "sum bene" without thinking, lol.

My kids all began with Prima Latina in 4th grade--it was perfect for them and easy for me to teach (well, actually learn alongside them!). Back then MP only had PL and Latina Christiana and we went through that progression. My oldest then began working through Henle, while my younger two moved into Cambridge Latin (just a better fit for them). All three have done well.

When we began homeschooling, my oldest was in 3rd, and I used Rod & Staff for our grammar program. When he began Latin in 4th grade, I had him continue working through R&S, which he did up through R&S Grade 6. By that time, I felt he had a solid grasp of grammar and that Latin was providing enough practice with grammar without doing both.

For my younger two (who were in 1st and pre-k when we began), I used First Language Lessons (working slowly over 2 years) and then we moved to R&S English Grade 3. And again, they also began Latin in 4th with PL.

I have three kids who are all very different learners, and R&S was easy to adapt to each of their needs. Sometimes they wrote the lessons, sometimes we just did them orally. Whatever worked at the time for each child. This path served my kids well, and helped me gain confidence in the early years. I probably wouldn't do it differently, if I had to do it over.

Nancy in NH

I am planning on starting Latin next year. I was thinking of MP Prima Latina for my boys, but know that it isn't the only Latin program. Any other recomendations?

Also, if you started Latin in 1 or 3rd (I will have both grades) did you also run a grammar program? If so I was debating between Shirley Grammar or Rod and staff.

Suggestions and recomendations would be wonderful!

We started Getting Started With Latin in third grade with DD and will start it next year with DS1 as a third grader. Then possibly on to Latin's Not So Tough, because it works well for DD, and I have it, but if it's not a good fit for DS1, we'll try something else.

Disclaimer: This is not my pathway. It was recommended by another WTM poster, and I copied it for reference. We may start SSL this summer or fall.

I post this to give you another perspective, but take it with a grain of salt that I cannot personally endorse it (with no direct experience).

2nd grade - Song School Latin

3rd grade - Minimus Latin

4th grade - Minimus Secundus (holding pattern)

5th grade - Latin for Children A

6th grade - Latin for Children B

7th grade - Latin for Children C

8th grade - Latin Alive 1

9th grade - Latin Alive 2

10th grade - Latin Alive 3 (or maybe right into Wheelock)

11th grade - Wheelock

12th grade - Wheelock (or maybe translation of Vergil if we skip LA3)

When mine were 3rd and 1st we did PL and R&S English for both. The 1st grader didn't do the workbook for PL though. She listened in to practice w/the C.D. and flashcard practice. Then when she was in 3rd, she started the program over w/a headstart in it, since she had known much of the vocab for awhile. (in 2nd and 4th, the 4th grader did LCI, and 2nd grader again, just listened in to practice sessions, no bookwork with it.)

Now, even in First Form, my 5th grader still does R&S English

We just finished Latin for Children Primer A in 4th, but it was our first year home. The are the same company that makes SSL. I think you could have your 3rd grader actually do the program while the 1st grader tags along. They have wonderful free online videos and games.

I am using PL with my 2nd and 3rd next year. I have minimus but PL looks easier to implement and the right level of gentle/substantial. We've already done SSL which was a fun and easy intro. LfC is out of the question for me because SfC is so terrible, and I assume they're similar...

We've tried several Latin programs before we found one that fit. We used LL and LfC, but neither worked for us. We tired GSWL and it was amazing! Indy learned so much. After that, we moved to GP's Latin Prep I. Much of the beginning was review from GSWL, but that was fine. We also have Minimus, which we use every now and then for fun. Next year (6th) we'll use LP II and III, and Minimus Secundus. After that, maybe Wheelock.

Now I'm confused again. I think I will start out and do SSL this summer. I will have K, 1, and 3rd. Then pick up PL for the oldest and my 1 son is pretty good at picking up. My husband and I both took Latin in HS so it won't be so difficult for us to teach :)