Menu

What handi-crafts kits can I start and do easily?

I'm not a naturally creative person but I've also wanted to try my hand at some kind of handi-work. I've thought I might like to try quilting or such. My dd just got a weaving loom for her b-day, an easy peasy make a potholder one, and I enjoyed working on it. Is there something a bit more sophisticated I could try but is laid out very clearly and easily? Are there starter kits for small quilts? I don't really want to do the embroidery variety but would like something with precut pieces perhaps to start- or patterns w/ the material together. Any ideas for something I can start ? Any quilt kit recommendations? I seen some sets on Amazon here while back but I wasn't for sure if any were decent and what I wanted.

Ornamental knots?

Here is a book

http://www.amazon.co...rnamental knots

The author has a series of wonderful you tube videos. And there are lots of other videos available online. You don't need to invest in looms of anything.

Waldorf programs (like Oak Meadow) incorporate a lot of handicrafts. And here is a bog post on handicrafts that I have always liked:

http://higherupandfu...h?q=handicrafts

When my children were younger we bought many craft kits from Hearthsong, and a few from Magic Cabin. Both are owned by the same company. They had a lot of great ones with quality materials. My children made:

- a wooden knicknack shelf

- scarves & placemats on a weaving loom

- potholders with cotton loops

- a wooden chest

- lino prints

- beaten metal jewelry

- hand-stitched moccasins

- felt and bead dolls

- tissue paper flowers

- drawings and paintings

- stuffed animals

- aprons

And a lot more that I can't remember right now. They had a lot of fun. I hope you can find some fun kits at their websites. Klutz books are great, too.

Small knitting project? Like a dishcloth or something?

I've seen small quilting kits in the fabric store, so maybe one of those would be good. I want to say that there are "quilt block of the month" kits, but you could make a pillow with the block instead of putting it into a whole quilt. Or make a crib-sized quilt to donate to charity?

OH, thanks for the ideas ladies you made me think some more. I just ordered 2 books off of Amazon, one on Calligraphy and one on Crazy Quilting. I don't know why but the knots made me think of calligraphy which I always thought seemed interesting. Since I've been teaching the kids cursive I've been writing it just for fun so I thought that calligraphy would be a neat one to explore. I thought the crazy quilts would be perhaps a good starter into quilts and the book I ordered is supposed to hit all the details from beginning to end. It seems from reviews there are small projects I could do to start. Now I'm thinking of woodcarving for ds as he has done some basic whittling on his own so he would perhaps enjoy it. I'm thinking I will print out the Ausburg drawing book as well when my laptop is up and running(as I cannot print from my Chromebook).

I looked a bit at looms but there seem to be many and in different sizes at that, then of course there is the issue of how do I use it!

Rainbow Resource has a nice loom selection. We have lap looms, an Easy Weaver loom, a bead loom, etc. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer.

We love this weaving book

http://www.amazon.co...s=you can weave

It's not about loom weaving, but about weaving you do without fancy equipment -- 'look inside' will give you an idea.

ETA I am still using potholders ds made ages ago from the Klutz potholder kit (+ extra Klutz-colored yarn sets) -- he made LOTS.

The first quilt I made was out of 5 1/2 in squares. My mom had me map out on graph paper the design I wanted with colored pencils. The she helped me cut the first few suares then set me to it. I did not cut them all out at once. I think I did a quarter of the quilt at a time. She had me hand sew some of them together and some of them I used a sewing machine. It was a wonderful experience and kept me busy all winter. I was around 9 or 10.

I recently got a huge order in from corps for rediscovery. I bought kits for indian life, colonial, and frontiersmen. The kids will do candle dipping, make moccasins, make a real arrow, make a rag quilt, make corn husk dolls, do weaving, and spinning and possibles bags etc. They are very excited about it all, even the boys with the quilting.