Menu

beautiful, but funny tasting berries

PIE!

We went shopping at Sam's Club on Saturday because we don't have a membership and they were open to the public that day. I was amazed at their berries. I did not see a single moldy or bruised berry in the whole store. We bought a lot of bluberries, blackberries, and strawberries.

We've eaten most of them already, but I've noticed they have a sort of funny taste - especially the strawberries. It's not bad or strong, just a little different. Do they treat them with something to make them all stay so beautiful in the store? I'm just curious if the slightly funny taste and the uncanny prettiness of the berries are related somehow.

If the berries aren't organic, it's quite possible they've been sprayed with dye to enhance visual appeal. Strawberries can be sprayed with red or blue dye or both.

Conventional berries are sprayed with fungicides to keep them from rotting in transit or on the grocery store shelves. I don't know if you can taste fungicides or not.

Supermarket produce is bred to survive transit rather than for taste. Try organic berries, frozen organic berries (the wild frozen blueberries are particularly good), or freeze your own berries in season.

Conventional berries are sprayed with fungicides to keep them from rotting in transit or on the grocery store shelves. I don't know if you can taste fungicides or not.

Supermarket produce is bred to survive transit rather than for taste. Try organic berries, frozen organic berries (the wild frozen blueberries are particularly good), or freeze your own berries in season.

Ha, I shop at stores where the strawberries are inevitable pre-molded. At least they're safe. Eew.

If the berries aren't organic, it's quite possible they've been sprayed with dye to enhance visual appeal. Strawberries can be sprayed with red or blue dye or both.

Yuck. How about those places that serve blueberry muffins that contain only dyed blue apple bits? Ha!

It's funny you posted about this. I am a buy-organic-only-when-absolutely-necessary woman. Recently, I bought organic strawberries and organic blackberries by accident. Both times I bit into my first berry, I was astounded by the flavor and thought "these taste the way they tasted when I was a kid." I usually buy (non-organic) berries at Sam's Club, but I have decided that organic is worth it for these. I don't know why non-organic berries taste the way they do, but you're right -- there is a difference.