Menu

Looking for science/engineering advice

So, DD13 wants to go into civil engineering. This is completely out of my realm. To be honest, science has always gotten short shrift here as I've focused more on history and lit. So, I'd appreciate any recommendations for science. I want something rigorous enough to prepare her for college, of course. I would prefer something that doesn't depend on me learning it along with her, though I will if necessary. Any advice?

Oh, and she's currently finishing up MUS Pre-Algebra. I know the math will be just as important as the science.

Thanks in advance!

Math is even more important, because her math skills will dictate the possible science sequence in high school.

As an engineering major, she will have to take two semesters of calculus based physics in college, so I strongly suggest you plan for her to take an algebra based physics in high school.

She may also have to take chemistry, so I would include a strong chemistry course.

I recommend you search this forum. Dicentra recently had a great thread about high school chemistry.

It is not absolutely necessary to have calculus in high school, although it would be nice to have had an introduction; it is, however, absolutely essential that she has rock solid algebra skills. I can not stress this enough. I teach physics at an engineering school, and the students who struggle because of math do so because they are lacking pre-algebra and algebra skills, not because they have not had calculus.

I would encourage you to switch to a stronger math program than MUS. Kids who are really good at math can make the leap from the very basic level of MUS to more rigorous programs, but most kids are going to need a stronger background than MUS will give to be able to succeed in engineering. I am using MUS with my youngest because it is so very basic. I need to meet her where she is. She couldn't handle a stronger math program at this point.

Also, you need to make sure that she does algebra-based physics and algebra-based chemistry in high school.

If she is a 7th grader now, then

8th - conceptual physics and algebra I

9th - algebra-based chemistry and geometry

10th - biology and algebra II

11th - algebra-based physics (especially an AP Physics B level, like Giancoli's Physics) with precalculus or advanced chemistry with precalculus

12th - advanced chemistry with calculus or advanced physics with calculus

If she is an 8th grader now, then

9th - conceptual physics and algebra I

10th - algebra-based chemistry and geometry

11th - biology and algebra II

12th - algebra-based physics (especially AP Physics B level, like Giancoli's Physics) with precalculus

My first degree is in civil engineering. You do need a strong foundation in math and physics. I needed chemistry for the environmental engineering portion and the properties of concrete portion. I did not need any of my high school biology. A basic knowledge of geology is good to have just by general reading. Civil engineering does cover many fields though from construction, earthquake engineering, offshore oil rig design, environmental, traffic.

Also, you need to make sure that she does algebra-based physics and algebra-based chemistry in high school.

:iagree:

If possible, I would try to have your child complete the equivalent of both AP Physics B and AP Chemistry. My oldest is planning on studying engineering in undergrad, and he has been advised to take computer sciences courses during high school as well.

it is, however, absolutely essential that she has rock solid algebra skills. I can not stress this enough. I teach physics at an engineering school, and the students who struggle because of math do so because they are lacking pre-algebra and algebra skills, not because they have not had calculus.

I absolutely agree.

My son is an engineer, and had very basic science at a very under-par high school. However, he excelled in math and did a couple of out-of-the-box math things in high school. The math caught the attention of every college he applied at, and the science (or lack thereof) was never discussed, that I recall.

Julie

For the different levels of physics, these are what I would use:

conceptual - light math - Conceptual Physics by Hewitt

regular high school - algebra I - Holt Physics

honors/advanced/AP Physics B - algebra II at least as a corequisite but preferably as a prerequisite - Giancoli's Physics: Principles with Applications

calculus-based - I haven't actually taught it at this level in over 20 years, but I am planning to use University Physics by Young and Freedman (originally was Sears&Zemansky)

For the different levels of chemistry, these are what I would use:

conceptual - light math - Conceptual Chemistry

regular high school level - Zumdahl's World of Chemistry

honors/advanced - Tro's Introductory Chemistry

I don't know what I'd use for AP level chemistry. I have seen a lot of posts about it, but I haven't looked at AP level chemistry textbooks at all yet.

Thank you all! That is very helpful. AngieW, she is in 8th grade now. Your suggested progesson is exactly what I was tentatively leaning toward, but I wasn't at all certain. I got by with online Geology for my college science. Not exactly rigorous! :)

Now, off to research curriculum options.

I have a civil engineering B.S. and agree with the previous poster who said that it is not critical that your student complete calculus in high school but to have very solid algebra skills. I'm one of the few on this board who thinks MUS is fine for bright STEM students. We are using it through precalculus and will then have DD dual enroll into a college precalculus course her senior year.

As for science, I'd focus on solid chemistry and physics courses and add a basic biology course. Personally, I took biology and advanced biology in high school and had a low quality physics class. I still managed to do very well in my civil engineering studies, just to reassure you that your student's preparation doesn't have to be perfect.

Realizing it has been a few years, but I graduated with a Civil degree. At least at the time the first year calculus, chemistry, and physics classes were weed out classes. I was fine on the math side of things, but struggled through physics and I had algebra based physics in high school and did well with it.

I would also recommend a drafting with either AutoCad or Microstation elective. The faster you can read drawings and at least have some knowledge of making them, the better off you will be.

What in Civil Engineering interests your son at this point? As someone said earlier Civil Engineering covers so much.