Menu

If dd8 has read all of the American Girl books . . .

Tracy

What else might she like?

She has just finished the last of the American Girl books. She loves history. These are the first books that she has really fallen in love with, and she is at a loss what to read next. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ETA: Dd8 does cry at times reading the American Girl books, so I am looking for something that would not be graphic or very disturbing.

How about the American Diaries/Dear America books?

http://www.amazon.com/Dear-America-Books/lm/R87F1LOP1KXMF

Or the Royal diaries series? My dd has read and enjoyed many of both of these series.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-like-a-princess-complete-royal-diaries/lm/1ZHIXIT9OAOOD/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_1

Has she read all the mystery ones too? There are a lot of Kit Mysteries that are pretty fun!

She has read some of them. I know there are some she hasn't read. But since she came to me with this question, I am taking the opportunity to help her to branch out a bit.

Rose, I have a question about the Dear America books. I made the mistake of getting the Oregon Trail one and it was such a SHOCK to my daughter that she refuses to read any of the other ones. Are all of them as graphic?

Oh, they must not be graphic. Dd8 has been known to cry reading the American Girl books. I don't want her to read anything stronger than that at this point.

Oh, they must not be graphic. Dd8 has been known to cry reading the American Girl books. I don't want her to read anything stronger than that at this point.

I don't know about ANY of the other ones, but the Oregon Trail was pretty realistic about what happened - children and Mommies dying, starvation, etc. At least they didn't mention any of the cannibalism! That would have really put her over the edge. She's not my gritty reality girl.

Take a look at the "Girls of Many Lands" series. At our library it's shelved right by the American Girls books. The books are a bit longer than the typical American Girls book, but I think they're about the same reading level. You might want to preview them to see if you think the content would be good for your sensitive DD. I second the recommendation for the Royal Diaries books as well.

Hmm, we have not read the Oregon Trail one - good to know! I will definitely have to add a caveat to any future recommendations!!

I definitely look them over before giving them to dd. She has read "winter of the red snow" about the Rev War, and said there wasn't anything in it she found disturbing, and the civil war one, "a light in the storm" and though one character did die (he drowned) it wasn't gory or bloody or anything. Nothing like what you described in Oregon Trail! So I guess take the suggestion with a grain of salt, and pre-review, for sure.

The Princess Diaries have not been at all disturbing - even the Marie Antoinette one ended well before the, um, troubles.

The Cracked Classics series by Tony Abbott. (We are planning to read it when we finish his current series we are reading)

Each book has two kids leap into a great/good fiction book. Since most of these are older books it is historical in it's own way.

http://www.amazon.com/Cracked-Classics-Trapped-Transylvania-Dracula/dp/0786813245

Trapped in Transylvania: Dracula

Mississippi River Blues: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

What a Trip! Around the World in Eighty Days

Humbug Holiday: A Christmas Carol

X Marks the Spot: Treasure Island

Crushing on a Capulet: Romeo & Juliet

Check out the National Park services Bookstores. Don't know if there is just one or if they are at the individual parks but you may find some on line.

I picked up a girl book there many moons ago. I don't have it handy so no idea the name, but I do think it was a series. A much older book set.