Menu

FPEA Convention...anyone go? Worth it?

I have been to one convention in 13 years of homeschooling. I basically just want to go look at curriculum and let my FDIL (a future teacher) see what homeschooling is all about. My decision is not financially based, I just wonder if there is anything I "must do" or "must see" or if there is anything to avoid. I would only be there Friday night and Saturday as dh has school. Any tips, advice, pros or cons would be welcome.

This will be my 3rd year at FPEA. I LOVE it!!! I enjoy many of the classes, the environment of being around so many other homeschool families, and having some momma time with my friends, but most of all..........the curriculum hall!!!! I just love taking my time and browsing through everything. I would go online and decide on which classes you would like to attend, but be sure to save plenty of time to make your way through the curriculum hall, it is HUGE!!!!

We plan a spring vacation around it! Seriously LOVE the FPEA convention! I try to go about every other year now. It's so nice to be around fellow homeschoolers, participate in all of the family activities that they have planned, and actually be able to flip through curriculum that I'm interested in. We're hitting Disney and Star Wars Weekends while we are down there....spending half our time camping at Disney's Ft. Wilderness and the other half staying at the convention resort. The resort is gorgeous.

LOVE the FPEA convention. I agree with a previous poster about deciding ahead of time which lectures you would like to attend. It makes it a lot easier. If I am unfamiliar with a speaker, I will research them before deciding. The vendor hall is HUGE! It is very easy to get sucked in and spend too much money. All of those "this is a great deal for only $5" purchases can add up. Ask me how I know. LOL Rainbow Resource always carries a ton of various things as does Rock Solid and they will be back this year. If there is something you know you definitely want to buy from either one, I would recommend getting them before they sell out.

Since you are staying Friday night, I would suggest the Get-N-Go dinner if you have more than just the two of you. The hotel restaurants are pricey and the dining hall adds up quickly too.

If you are not traveling with kiddos, the adult swimming pool is a nice place to relax after a long day. The convention is always a time of refreshing for me. I go down with friends and the kids stay with grandma and grandpa.

I want to go now :(

I don't think DH would go for buying plane tickets just so I can look at "shiny things" though. And any deals would definitely be negated by airfare, and accomodation.....though we could just fly over there for the day then come back.

I live in Aus, the closest we get to "conventions" is what amounts to a school camp.....no shiny things to look through :(

Tickets are still available, you can register on the website. I bought mine yesterday. Lots and LOTS to see in the hall. Some good classes. A bunch of classes on religion and parenting, that I avoid. I'm a liberal, and Episcopalian, so much of the stuff there is too conservative for me, but I still love going. My husband sort of got hives from it...not his scene...but it's fun. SO MUCH to look at.

I'm still debating whether or not to go...We can register online until May 15. I went once a few years ago and had bad luck choosing speakers. But I've got a better idea now of who the speakers are, and I might be able to pick out the kinds of workshops that would be most useful to me. At first glance it looks a little more...inclusive...than in years past, but I haven't looked over the speakers and vendors very carefully.

Really, I think I just want to go look at the fun curricula, but why pay money to go spend more money?

On the other hand, I could use some encouragement from workshops--I'm starting to feel burned out with homeschooling...

I don't care for the speakers...it's either conservative/punitive/patriarchal christianity (which we do not ascribe to) or vendors talking for an hour about why their curriculum/method is top notch. Lol. The vendor hall is cool, albeit overwhelming at times. It was nice going the first few years we HS, just to be able to flip through, handle, see in person, so many different products. I wouldn't pay for it now, the registration fee isn't worth just going to the vendor hall. I much MUCH prefer the used curriculum sale that usually happens around that time!

I don't care for the speakers...it's either conservative/punitive/patriarchal christianity (which we do not ascribe to) or vendors talking for an hour about why their curriculum/method is top notch. Lol. The vendor hall is cool, albeit overwhelming at times. It was nice going the first few years we HS, just to be able to flip through, handle, see in person, so many different products. I wouldn't pay for it now, the registration fee isn't worth just going to the vendor hall. I much MUCH prefer the used curriculum sale that usually happens around that time!

That was my experience when I went before, too. Maybe it's wishful thinking that things will be differnt this year. I wish we could get a vendor hall ticket for $5 or $10. I'd totally drive to Orlando for that. :D