Menu

Getty questions

Excelsior! Academy

They are not 2 hours apart, but 20 minutes is optimistic. It depends on traffic.

Both could be done in one day—assuming you have a high capacity for museums. I have never considered it, but I live here, and feel no pressure.

If I was doing it during the summer I would go to the Getty (Brentwood) in the morning, and then end the day at the Getty Villa in Malibu (enjoying the late afternoon sun). In winter I'd reverse it. Enjoying the morning sun at Malibu, and then getting the night vistas over LA at the Getty (Brentwood).

Do get reservations in advance. You need them!

Bill

We just went to the Getty Center last week or the week before (I live relatively near, but not in, L.A.). Given the hours the centers are open (10:00-5:30), you could do both in one day, but you would not have enough time at either facility to truly experience them. We were there from open to close, and still didn't get to see everything we wanted to see. We spent a lot of time looking at the manuscripts exhibit, though. You may spend less than we did.

How long it takes to get there depends on the traffic. It can take a long time to travel a short distance in L.A. traffic since it's absolutely ridiculous, so the time could be 20 minutes at one point in the day, and two hours at another time during the day.

I would not try to go to both in one day. They are both pretty large and not located near each other. I mean, you could, but you would be exhausted, I think.

The Villa is mostly Greco-Roman, whereas the Getty Center seems a bit more varied. I learned all I ever wanted to know about male anatomy from the kouros at the Getty Villa. Just saying.

I would not try it. You need reservations (for parking!!!) and you might well miss your "slot" due to traffic. If its sunny day take sun glasses to the Center - when we went I got a migraine from the bright sun on all the white buildings. The Villa near the beach is lovely and I could spend an entire day there.

An art teacher once gave me good advice when visiting galleries. She said don't try to do everything in one day. Do a bit, enjoy it, take it in and then save the rest for the next time. It's tough when you may not be back, but I can see the wisdom. I've been to the Getty twice. The first time we saw the galleries. The second time we visited the gardens and just enjoyed the architecture. There are a lot of puzzles and things built into the architecture. It's wonderful to just sit in the gardens for a while and take it all in. I'm glad we didn't rush through everything.