Menu

Best writing curriculum for future author?

MunRoLy

*** I apologize in advance for no paragraphs...my computer won't let me!*** ds13 has always loved to write stories. He doesn't actually like to write with pen and paper... when he was younger he would dictate to me and then he learned to type. He is incredibly creative and is currently working on a novel. In the past he's written short stories, plays, novels... He has had very little formal writing training because I really wanted to encourage his creativity. He has always been inspired to write books like the authors he loves, so I guess most of his training comes from books he's read. He has been doing grammar for a year (Daily Grammar Practice) and he does spelling and dictation. I just started him on Kilgallon elementary, but what else can I do for my boy who wants to see his books on the shelves of Barnes and Noble one day? I bought Apologia's Jump In and we are just getting started with that. What would you suggest? He is very passionate about it and ready to do the work it will take to make him a better author. Thanks!

It's not a curriculum, but NaNoWiMo Young Writers program has good resources. Check out the workbooks for now, and then I think they offer a lot more during November.

I know adult novelists who use NaNoWiMo to kickstart their writing, so I'm guessing it's a pretty solid program.

ETA: Oh, they do have a curriculum of sort. Here are the lesson plans.

Brave Writer: Writer's Jungle and or High School help. It is on sale now pdf form. through the HSBCop

www.bravewriter.com has podcasts and samples to look and listen to Julie Bogart

They have online classes as well if you are interested in those.

Just in case you don't know : NanoWrimo is a month of writing too in November.

IEW is great too. How to Write a Story sounds like a good fit. Just my suggestions. Good luck!

For short story writing I like Writer's Toolbox by Nancy Loewen and the other story writing books not included in the anthology. But it sounds like he has been basically inferring how to do this himself, by copying the structure and techniques used in books he likes?

Studying punctuation and sentence structure has helped me write with more confidence and a stronger voice. I like to write like I talk and that requires advanced punctuation skills, especially semicolons, dashes, and ellipses. The cozy grammar punctuation videos are good, but there are less expensive ways to cover the topics.

Wannabe writer's should immerse themselves in words and experience, imho. A second or 3rd language; vocabulary study. Poetry study is a terrific addition- both how to write it, study it and memorizing it. Kids learn tropes through poetry, along with form, structure and how to break the rules. Memorizing poetry fills thier heads with amazing words, sentences and imagery. Also, writer's need to have the mechanics of writing down cold. Writer's should write. Writer's should read. Voraciously.

True artists spend years honing skills. I haven't found that formal writing/skill building kills the joy of writing for wannabes-quite the contrary- I have found that it gives them the tools they need to really have the confidence to take off. I like both IEW and WWS.

Finding a local writing group could be a cool help- I was part of one with 3 published authors and an publisher and ended up having a short story published in a book. We had a couple of high schoolers in the group- bascially we take turns reading something and then offer honest, gentle, helpful criticism to each other. I receieved some feed-back from a retired English teacher that changed how I write. Check local bookstores, the library, etc for a group near you.

Maybe not just yet, but at some point in the next few years get him a subscription to Writer's Digest. The publishing industry today is a complicated thing to navigate, and there's much more to it that just good writing, sadly. If becoming a published author turns out to be his passion, he's going to need to learn to navigate social media, craft an image, communicate with agents and publishers... Writer's Digest is great at teaching both the writing and all the other stuff.

It doesn't focus so much on the actual craft of writing, but "On Writing" by Stephen King is a great look at the life of an author. There might be some bad language in it, so it would probably be best to hold off on that one for a couple years, but it's a good read for someone trying to get published for the first time.

Thank you for all the ideas so far. I will definitely look into all of these suggestions. I am not a writer at all... Avoided English classes in college like the plague. (math is my thing). So I personally can't teach him what he needs to know.

Wannabe writer's should immerse themselves in words and experience, imho. A second or 3rd language; vocabulary study. Poetry study is a terrific addition- both how to write it, study it and memorizing it. Kids learn tropes through poetry, along with form, structure and how to break the rules. Memorizing poetry fills thier heads with amazing words, sentences and imagery. Also, writer's need to have the mechanics of writing down cold. Writer's should write. Writer's should read. Voraciously.

True artists spend years honing skills. I haven't found that formal writing/skill building kills the joy of writing for wannabes-quite the contrary- I have found that it gives them the tools they need to really have the confidence to take off. I like both IEW and WWS.

Finding a local writing group could be a cool help- I was part of one with 3 published authors and an publisher and ended up having a short story published in a book. We had a couple of high schoolers in the group- bascially we take turns reading something and then offer honest, gentle, helpful criticism to each other. I receieved some feed-back from a retired English teacher that changed how I write. Check local bookstores, the library, etc for a group near you.

I think you've managed to kill ALL of Mrs. Mungo's kittens with one paragraph! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But finding a local writers groups would be a great idea for this DC.