Menu

Avocado based salad dressing...

Joker

Since my taste and smell has been out of whack for the past year, I have been unable to eat any salad dressing. I think it's the vinegar that bothers me since other condiments with vinegar are too horrible for me to eat as well. Avocados have been the one good food that has never tasted bad. So, I thought I would just try to make my own dressing. Does anyone have a good avocado based recipe that doesn't include vinegar? I think olive oil would be ok since I've sautéed veggies in it and have had no problem with taste.

Since my taste and smell has been out of whack for the past year, I have been unable to eat any salad dressing. I think it's the vinegar that bothers me since other condiments with vinegar are too horrible for me to eat as well. Avocados have been the one good food that has never tasted bad. So, I thought I would just try to make my own dressing. Does anyone have a good avocado based recipe that doesn't include vinegar? I think olive oil would be ok since I've sautéed veggies in it and have had no problem with taste.

Do lime/lemon juices bother you like vinegar does? I would do avocado with lime juice and cilantro and garlic.

Alternatively, you could try dressing your salads with flavored olive oils (infused with basil or other herbs)?

Do lime/lemon juices bother you like vinegar does? I would do avocado with lime juice and cilantro and garlic.

Alternatively, you could try dressing your salads with flavored olive oils (infused with basil or other herbs)?

I've added lime and lemon juice to foods and it's been ok. Cilantro doesn't work now though. I could try some variations with the juices though. Thanks!

Creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing (there are many variations online; this one is from Cook's Illustrated):

INGREDIENTS:

1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled

1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco

1 tablespoon lime juice

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon minced red onion

1 tablespoon minced cilantro

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Put the avocado, hot sauce, and lime juice in the container of a food processor and process for 30 seconds, or until the avocado is broken down.

Add the remaining ingredients and process until the dressing is completely smooth.

The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.

I waited tables in a Mexican restaurant once that was famous for its salad dressing. It was guacamole and ranch dressing mixed together in roughly equal parts. I never ate it, so I cannot attest to its yumminess, but it had many, many fans.

Terri

Thanks, everyone! Tonight before dinner I threw an avocado, some olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt into the blender. I added a bit of water to get the consistency I wanted. It had no taste to me which is what I'm going for these days as it's either bad taste or nothing. I had a bunch of local, organic kale but I cannot eat it plain and needed a dressing with it, and this worked really well. Dh actually ate all the leftover dressing on his salad and said it was really good. Hopefully, I can replicate as I didn't measure anything.