Menu

Literature list to go along with Spielvogel's Western Civ.

I have course descriptions for Years 1-3 of a WTM-purist Great Books Study with Spielvogel history correlated with literature. If you want a copy, PM me with your email address and I will send them. We have finished Year 1, are almost done with Year 2, and Year 3 is a draft I'm working on for next fall. I don't have Year 4 done yet, but I was just thinking today about drafting that out too.

I have course descriptions for Years 1-3 of a WTM-purist Great Books Study with Spielvogel history correlated with literature. If you want a copy, PM me with your email address and I will send them. We have finished Year 1, are almost done with Year 2, and Year 3 is a draft I'm working on for next fall. I don't have Year 4 done yet, but I was just thinking today about drafting that out too.

WTMCassadra, I just sent you a PM. I would greatly appreciate it if you would send me what you have. I am working on this tonight and am a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Okay, you all inspired me to work on the Year 4 coordination this morning. Year 4 is tricky because much of the literature is so dark and despairing, which I would prefer not to focus on. They have all their lives to be exposed to that stuff. I don't have the editions chosen or anything, but if you'd like the Year 4 history/lit coordination table, PM me and I'll send that as well.

Okay, dd and I went over book lists and read synopses and reviews and came up with a list for next year (Ancients through Middle Ages - Chapters 1-16 of the Western Civ. Comprehensive Volume). I took into account her interest level and time we would have to devote to this. She's doing Chemistry through a tutorial and two maths next year, so some of these selections may end up being read and discuss only; no written analysis\essays.

Luckily most of these have units included in Excellence in Literature. :) I'm not educated in ancient\medieval literature so if anyone sees anything glaringly out of place please let me know.

The Epic of Gilgamesh

The Odyssey

Oedipus Rex

Julius Caesar

Beowulf

Canterbury Tales (selections indicated in EiL)

Sir Gawain an the Green Knight

King Lear

Pilgrim's Progress

Divine Comedy: Inferno

The Prince

Faust

Finish out the year with Shakespeare's comedies - Twelfth Night, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado About Nothing

These are all great choices, but IMHO, it is a LOT of titles. We were able to manage 1-2 titles per chapter, meaning roughly 1-2 titles per month. Now, I do require an essay on just about all of the ones I do, but that's still a heavy load if they are doing the Spielvogel exercises also.

That's why I end up pacing for hours to come up with my lists--I have to be careful not to overload.

You have five Shakespeare plays there (assuming those are the Julius Caesar and King Lear you list). Do you want that many?

What about some shorter works of poetry? You could include "The Dream of the Rood" and "Parable of the Christ Knight," as well as some medieval lyrics found in any anthology of western literature in your library system. That would help you pull in more works from other nations, too; your medieval list is very heavy on British lit. If you wanted to bring in some female authors, look for lyric poetry by Hildegard of Bingen and Christine de Pizan. "Lanval" by Marie de France is a short Arthurian story which might be a good addition, and you can find it translated into both verse and prose.

Do you want to bring in any works from the Arabic world? 1001 Nights has been very influential in western literature; prereading might be desirable.

These are all great choices, but IMHO, it is a LOT of titles. We were able to manage 1-2 titles per chapter, meaning roughly 1-2 titles per month. Now, I do require an essay on just about all of the ones I do, but that's still a heavy load if they are doing the Spielvogel exercises also.

That's why I end up pacing for hours to come up with my lists--I have to be careful not to overload.

You have five Shakespeare plays there (assuming those are the Julius Caesar and King Lear you list). Do you want that many?

What about some shorter works of poetry? You could include "The Dream of the Rood" and "Parable of the Christ Knight," as well as some medieval lyrics found in any anthology of western literature in your library system. That would help you pull in more works from other nations, too; your medieval list is very heavy on British lit. If you wanted to bring in some female authors, look for lyric poetry by Hildegard of Bingen and Christine de Pizan. "Lanval" by Marie de France is a short Arthurian story which might be a good addition, and you can find it translated into both verse and prose.

Do you want to bring in any works from the Arabic world? 1001 Nights has been very influential in western literature; prereading might be desirable.

Thank you for these suggestions. I will go back and cut some of these...i have no idea how long some of these will take to read so did think we might have to skip or just listen to an audio book of a few and move on. Right off the bat I'll take out King Lear and Twelfth Night though. I like the idea of adding 1001 Nights and some poetry but will have to cut a few other selections to make room for them. It's hard to make a list that thoroughly represents the time period being studied and offers enough material to constitute an English credit without going overboard...can you tell i've never done this before. :p Okay, I'll go re-work the list and come back with a revision later.

5LittleMonkeys: Yes, you are wise to trim it a bit. This is why I pace for hours over every one of those history/lit tables. I have to be so very, very choosy because time is limited.

All: Thanks for all of the interest in the course descriptions. I think I'm caught up (again) on sending them out. When I get Years 3 and 4 completely finished, perhaps I should throw the files up on a blog somewhere for easier access. I didn't realize they would be so popular!

If you want to cut something to add in selections from 1001 Nights and the shorter poetry I suggested, just cover one Shakespeare comedy. You could start the next year with another couple of his plays, if you want to cover more. If things are taking too long by the time you get to The Inferno, save The Prince for a government class later. If time is too short when starting Faust, skip it and move on to the Shakespeare comedy.