Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week fourteen

Robin M

Started Reading:

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (American author, DD class 900)

God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible by Vaughan Roberts (British author, DD class 200)

Still Reading:

The Conviction to Lead: 25 Principles for Leadership that Matters by Albert Mohler (American author, DD class 300)

The God Who is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story by D.A. Carson (Canadian author, DD class 200)

Finished:

12. The Disappearing Spoon: And Other Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean (American author, DD class 500)

11. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman (American Author, DD class 600)

10. A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller (American author, DD class 200)

9. Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick (American author, DD class 300)

8. Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald (American author, DD class 100)

7. The Bungalow by Sarah Jio (American author, DD class 800)

6. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)

5. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (American author, DD class 800)

4. The Next Story: Life and Faith After the Digital Explosion by Tim Challies (Canadian author, DD class 600)

3. The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (Australian author, DD class 800)

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (English author, DD class 800)

1. The Dark Monk: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch (German author, DD class 800)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week I read Out of the Silent Planet, my first book in the CS Lewis Challenge (if I end up pursuing that one). 2.5 stars, rounded up to 3.

I'm currently reading The Swerve: How the World Became Modern (thanks to whomever it was here that recommended it) slowly,

Agenda 21, about a dystopian future in the US based on a real Agenda 21 that has been written already (not a novel) so this is political, and aparently a thriller, but either I'm not at that part yet or I have no idea what a thriller is ;).

and, for light reading. Serendipity as I may as well finish this series.

I think that's what I'll do. 1984 was still some years away when I read 1984. :) but I don't feel the desire to read it again. If I need to, I'll just check the synopsis.

When I read it it was in the future as well, but so far haven't had the interest to reread it yet. Back then I read it more for the story than the politcal message.

What are you reading this week?

I am still wading through Hopscotch...and don't seem to be making much progress. :glare:

Continuing:

Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar (Readalong; Chunk; Continental - Argentina)

The Burgess Bird Book for Children by Thornton Burgess (Continental - USA)

The One Year Devotions for Women: Becoming a Woman at Peace by Ann Spangler (Inspiration)

The One Year Chronoligical Bible NLT (Chunky; Inspiration)

I finally finished 31 - Textbook of International Health: Global Health in a Dynamic World by Anne-Emanuelle Birn (Chunky; ***) and 33 - Global Health Disparities: Closing the Gap Through Good Governance by Enku Kebede-Francis (***)

With the end of march, comes the end of the first quarter of the year, (thanks for the reminder Shari) so it is a perfect time to do a progress check. How is everyone doing with the challenge and all the personal challengers you've set such as the 5/5/5, continental or mini challenges.

I am making better progress on total read than I thought I would, though many of my completed books are read-alouds. But I'm not doing so well on the mini challenges. And I still haven't figured out what my 5/5/5 might be...

Total Read: 35

Book Club: 3

C.S. Lewis: 0

Inspiration: 0

WEM: 0

Chunky: 2

Canada: 2

Continental: 13 (8 North America, 0 South America, 0 Africa, 4 Europe, 0 Asia, 1 Australia, 0 Antarctica)

Book Versus Movie: 0

2013 Reading Completed

01 - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Continental - England; ****)

02 - Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll (Continental - England; ****)

03 - When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Child Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse by Lundy Bancroft (****)

04 - The Self-Esteem Workbook by Glenn R. Schiraldi (*)

05 - The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton (Continental - Australia; *****)

06 - Junie B. Jones Complete Collection (#1-24) by Barbara Park (Continental - USA; ****)

07 - Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May.) (#25) by Barbara Park (Continental - USA; ****)

08 - Junie B., First Grader: Aloha-ha-ha! (#26) by Barbara Park (Continental - USA; ****)

09 - Junie B., First Grader: Dumb Bunny (#27) by Barbara Park (Continental - USA; ****)

10 - Junie B., First Grader: Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten (and Other Thankful Stuff) (#28) by Barbara Park (Continental - USA; ****)

11 - Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery (Oh Canada; Continental; ***)

12 - Dinosaurs: A Companion to Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House Research Guides #1) by Will Osborne (**)

13 - Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 1-4: The Mystery of the Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

14 - Peter Pan by J. M. Barre (Continental - England; ****)

15 - Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 5-8: The Mystery of the Magic Spell by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

16 - Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 9-12: The Mystery of the Ancient Riddles by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

17 - Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 13-16: The Mystery of the lost Stories by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

18 - Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Book Club; Chunky; Continental - UK; **)

19 - Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 17-20: The Mystery of the Enchanted Dog by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

20 - Emily Climbs by L. M. Montgomery (Oh Canada; Continental; ***)

21 - Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 21-24: The Mystery of Morgan's Library by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

22 - Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 25-28: The Mystery of Morgan's Rhymes by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

23 - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Book Club; Continental - USA; *****)

24 - Magic Tree House #29: Christmas in Camelot by Mary Pope Osborne (****)

25 - Magic Tree House #30: Haunted Castle on Hallows Eve by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

26 - Magic Tree House #31: Summer of the Sea Serpent by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

27 - Magic Tree House #32: Winter of the Ice Wizard by Mary Pope Osborne (****)

28 - Magic Tree House #33: Carnival at Candlelight by Mary Pope Osborne (****)

29 - Magic Tree House #34: Season of the Sandstorms by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

30 - Magic Tree House #35: Night of the New Magicians by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

31 - Textbook of International Health: Global Health in a Dynamic World by Anne-Emanuelle Birn (Chunky; ***)

32 - Magic Tree House #36: Blizzard of the Blue Moon by Mary Pope Osborne (****)

33 - Global Health Disparities: Closing the Gap Through Good Governance by Enku Kebede-Francis (***)

34 - Magic Tree House #37: Dragon of the Red Dawn by Mary Pope Osborne (****)

35 - Magic Tree House #38: Monday with a Mad Genius by Mary Pope Osborne (***)

Rating System:

***** it was amazing

**** really liked it

*** liked it

** it was okay

* didn't like it

Next week starts our readalong of 1Q84 by Murakami, a mind bending ode and chunkster to George Orwell's 1984.

I honestly don't know. It's been a few years since I read 1984. Read a suggestion somewhere on the interwebz that if find any references to 1984 confusing, to read the wikipedia synopsis. Which is what I'll probably do. Same as I did with Hopscotch when some of it wasn't making sense.

Oh, darn it...I might actually have to read 1984 first. :glare: I have this (unreasonable?) aversion to reading the synopsis of anything I haven't actually read in full...

I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) reading 1Q84 though!

I just finished Cloud Atlas. I gave it 2 stars on Goodreads. I found the middle chapter was irratating and pretentious. And I felt like the last chapter got way too preachy. I liked the idea of the novel, and I like how it was constructed, but he lost me in the 6th chapter, and even though I toughed it out to the finish, I didn't enjoy it as much.

That's funny...I wasn't impressed with Cloud Atlas either, but the middle two chapters were the ones I liked the most. I agree though that the construction of the novel was unique and interesting, but the actual stories just didn't come together for me.

I know I've posted about the Dewey's Read-a-thon before on these threads. It is a twice annual event in the blogosphere, on FB and Twitter where the basic idea is to set aside an entire 24 hours for nothing but reading. Dewey's is fun because the organizers actually have updates every hour on the 'Net to encourage / inspire all the participants. Some bloggers host mini-challenges (like recreating your favorite book cover or posting pictures of your Afternoon Slump Munchies), there are giveaways, games, etc. If you want to join in, you just read, read, read, and post your progress periodically, or participate in the minichallenges, or cheerlead for other Readers. There's zero pressure and you read whatever you want, for however long you want.

Sign-ups are going on now at the Dewey blog if anyone is interested. The read-a-thon is Saturday, April 27, beginning at 8am EST. [Disclaimer: I'm not an organizer or anything. I have just participated in the past and it was a blast! I have never made it the full 24 hours (and probably never will)]

This looks like like a lot of fun...I wonder if I can get my DS on board for 24 hours of nothing but reading... :tongue_smilie:

We got DD her own personal high capacity iPod when she was 4 years old because she kept wanting to abscond with ours to listen to audiobooks.

My DS 5 has appropriated my ancient portable CD player and listens to books on CD every night. I refuse to buy him an iPod because he has a bad habit of breaking everything. :smash:

:iagree: I've added quite a few books to my TBR list thanks to this group. I love reading everyone else's reviews, even if it's not something I'm interested in reading. I also found there are others who love or hate some of the same books as I.

I haven't found a down side to this group, unless I count having too many books to read. :D

I don't think it is a matter of having too many books to read, but not having enough time to read them! :lol:

:iagree: I have so many books on my "want to read' list. And my list is growing rapidly thanks to this group. This group and my book club have pushed me to read books that I might not have chosen on my own. Some I have loved and other's I've hated, but I'm so glad I've had the opportunity to expand my reading experiences.

Remember this scene in The Matrix?

I want that. Now. I have a STACK of books I need to read, understand, and implement NOW. Books on child development, books on gifted children and how they learn, books on parenting, books on discipline. I also have curriculum I need to read - The Writing Road To Reading, the MEP Reception lessons, the Miquon Teacher's Notes and Lab Annotations, Telling God's Story.

I want to say "I know Spalding". NOW.

Let's not forget about my "fun" reading: The Iliad, One Hundred Years of Solitude, 1Q84, etc.

Please excuse me while I freak out. Talk amongst yourselves.

That clip is awsome! If only it were that easy!

This is how I feel though...so many books to read, for so many different purposes (some quite important) and just not enough hours in the day. Never mind the fact that DS still needs to be fed and the house still needs to be cleaned... :eek:

That clip is awsome! If only it were that easy!

This is how I feel though...so many books to read, for so many different purposes (some quite important) and just not enough hours in the day. Never mind the fact that DS still needs to be fed and the house still needs to be cleaned... :eek:

Wait a minute - didn't I just feed you yesterday? What is this thing you call breakfast? :p

I read and enjoyed Heart of Danger: A Ghost Ops Novel by Lisa Marie Rice. This is a romantic suspense novel with paranormal elements (not vampires and the like, rather unusual abilities). It has a strong physical element and would not work well for conservative readers.

"Ghost Ops. A small unit of super-elite soldiers so secret only two men know of their existence. Betrayed by their commanding officer while on an antiterrorist mission, the team is massacred. Only three survive—and find themselves framed and disgraced. But en route to the court martial, they escape . . . and disappear.

Beautiful, brilliant, and determined, Dr. Catherine Young is on a mission to find a man who has vanished into thin air. Walking into a high-tech hideaway bearing an essential message to Tom "Mac" McEnroe, Team Leader of the betrayed Ghost Ops force, is the most dangerous thing she has ever done. The soldier she encounters is frightening and suspicious, but her senses reveal the man underneath: tough, honorable, and so breathtakingly masculine Catherine feels weak in his presence . . . But to surrender to Mac's passionate desires would put her life in dire jeopardy. Catherine has a gift that enables her to see into the heart of others—and looking into Mac's is like staring into the very heart of danger itself."

Currently rereading Jennifer Ashley's The Duke's Perfect Wife (Mackenzies Series). This is fourth in a historical romance series which starts with The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Mackenzies Series) which was a great read and my favorite of the series.

Regards,

Kareni

Finished this week:

#19 Unnatural Death by Dorothy Sayers (audiobook) - Interesting and entertaining, and I liked the narrator. I did not appreciate the racism and anti-Semitism displayed from time to time (common back then, I know, but that doesn't make it right), and was a bit annoyed at Wimsey and Parker for not "cluing in" to the culprit as soon as I thought they should have ;).

#20 Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick - Several of you here recommended this book - thank you! I learned so much about North Korea's history, culture and politics. Fascinating and heartbreaking.

This week I read Out of the Silent Planet, my first book in the CS Lewis Challenge (if I end up pursuing that one). 2.5 stars, rounded up to 3.

I liked the second book, Perelandra, so much more than the first. Haven't gone on to the third yet.

I may have to give up on my 5/5/5 challenge ths year. I've read 1 in the Canadian category, 3 in the British mystery category, 2 in the biography/autobiography category and 0 in the other two (dusty classics and dusty inspirational). I keep finding other books, either already on my shelf, at the library, or to buy that I'm more interested in reading right now! :p Also, dd is studying the Eastern Hemisphere and Africa this year, and I'm trying to read about at least some of the countries/areas she is, so I think I might be able to complete the Continental challenge. I've definitely got Europe covered already, and Anne of Green Gables and maybe one other count for North America. Just have to squeeze in at least one for South America and one for Antarctica at some point... I think there's a few on my completed list that fit in the dusty or inspirational categories as well, and I hope to read at least a few more of each. And if I can wade through Les Mis, I'll have completed at least one chunky book. :)

I may have to give up on my 5/5/5 challenge ths year. I've read 1 in the Canadian category, 3 in the British mystery category, 2 in the biography/autobiography category and 0 in the other two (dusty classics and dusty inspirational). I keep finding other books, either already on my shelf, at the library, or to buy that I'm more interested in reading right now! :p

The other possibility is to select new 5/5/5 categories. I suggest:

Books already on my shelf

Books at the library

Books that I want to read right now.

Regards,

Kareni

Let's not forget about my "fun" reading: The Iliad, One Hundred Years of Solitude, 1Q84, etc.

Please excuse me while I freak out. Talk amongst yourselves.

Wait, what? 1Q84 isn't fun? I started it last night and nothing has actually happened yet, but so far I'm interested. At my age I try to only read books I'll like. Even if I decide to read or re-read a classic, it's because I want to. :)

When I read it it was in the future as well, but so far haven't had the interest to reread it yet. Back then I read it more for the story than the politcal message.

I was fairly young when I read 1984, so I read it for the story too.

:iagree: I have so many books on my "want to read' list. And my list is growing rapidly thanks to this group. This group and my book club have pushed me to read books that I might not have chosen on my own. Some I have loved and other's I've hated, but I'm so glad I've had the opportunity to expand my reading experiences.

I don't belong to any IRL book clubs anymore, but when I did, I joined so that I'd be challenged to read books I otherwise would not have chosen. Okay, I admit I joined for the food a night out too, but still...

I may have to give up on my 5/5/5 challenge ths year. I've read 1 in the Canadian category, 3 in the British mystery category, 2 in the biography/autobiography category and 0 in the other two (dusty classics and dusty inspirational). I keep finding other books, either already on my shelf, at the library, or to buy that I'm more interested in reading right now! :p Also, dd is studying the Eastern Hemisphere and Africa this year, and I'm trying to read about at least some of the countries/areas she is, so I think I might be able to complete the Continental challenge. I've definitely got Europe covered already, and Anne of Green Gables and maybe one other count for North America. Just have to squeeze in at least one for South America and one for Antarctica at some point... I think there's a few on my completed list that fit in the dusty or inspirational categories as well, and I hope to read at least a few more of each. And if I can wade through Les Mis, I'll have completed at least one chunky book. :)

The other possibility is to select new 5/5/5 categories. I suggest:

Books already on my shelf

Books at the library

Books that I want to read right now.

Regards,

Kareni

What Karen said. Don't give up, just change your categories to fit. Sounds like you are doing great!

I just finished reading Wheat Belly by William Davis, M.D.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=wheat belly

2.5 stars.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with much of what the author writes, but much of his evidence is not scientifically backed-up even though he goes into quite a few scientific explanations in the book. The author often says things like 'research was never done in this area' or 'research needs to be done in this area' in regard to many of his theories. Much of his philosophy seems to be based on his physical observations but w/out the scientific evidence to back it up. I think much of what he says is probably right & is on track (& a few other things are over-simplified), but the extreme dietary changes he advocates & science studies he does quote are weirdly (off)balanced by his repetition that these ideas are based mainly on personal observation. Also, his manner of writing is almost provocative -- making it a bit of a stressful read, imo.

Many dietary books recommend cutting out carbs anyway, and Davis does do that (w/ the caveat that all wheat be cut out completely & that wheat is the most-damaging carb for you). I just wish he had presented his info/stance in a somewhat different manner.

Tried/slightly modified version of one of the recipes in the back of the book & liked it. Will try more of the recipes.

Info re: cutting out wheat = probably good.

Theories = various but most stated w/out scientific back-up or research.

Presentation = so-so.

Recipes = good/tasty &/or seem do-able.

Still working on (well, have barely started) The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig.

How interesting, I'll have to check it out. When I was young, I was sensitive to egg, wheat and corn and thought as I got older, had out grown it. Went through the health kick of eating only wheat bread, brown rice, etc and really didn't feel all that great. My allergies were at an all time high. Went back to white bread and stayed far far away from all the so called healthier pastas, etc. No more icky belly and allergies improved. A couple weeks ago fell off the wagon (food wagon that is) and god, my poor tummy. Amazing how foods can affect you.

Wait, what? 1Q84 isn't fun? I started it last night and nothing has actually happened yet, but so far I'm interested. At my age I try to only read books I'll like. Even if I decide to read or re-read a classic, it's because I want to. :)

Oh no! You misunderstand. I'm not saying they aren't fun, it's just that my fun reading isn't exactly light, given their length, topics, and types. That is all. None of them can be knocked out in an evening.

Just finished 1984. Um... What the heck did I just read? :blink:

I finished it this morning. I know I read it in the late 70's. I know I wrote a paper.....I wish I had kept it because I would love to know what I said. I did find it very interesting but it was nothing like I remembered.

Spring break and painting have put me behind, but I'm about a third of the way through an updated edition of The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors: The Story of Three Sisters by Juliet Barker. There are extensive passages included from the works set in Angria and Gondal as well as information about other family members. Barker includes information from contemporary news accounts as well as private correspondence to round out the context. I've reached the point where Charlotte leaves the school in Belgium. I've lingered over descriptions of the course of study followed by Charlotte and Emily at the school--especially their reactions to the syllabus and to the standards for evaluating their essays.

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: I just lost all my quotes from other peoples' replies and my reply.

This week I'm reading Love Life: for Every Married Couple, Hearts of Horses and The Swerve. My timer rang just as I lost my other reply, so sorry, no links and I can't go back and re-find the posts I wanted to reply specifically to.