Menu

How to use K12 Human Odyssey with a WTM-style history cycle?

My plan is to flip it. SOTW 1-4, HO 5-7, and American Odyssey in 8th. Just for variety. :)

I considered that, but I'm not sure if my dc will be ready for HO in 5th. I figured I would save American Odyssey for high school.

Here is the sequence I prefer:

K: Geography and American history (just the very important bits)

1: To 500 (SOTW)

2: 500-1650ish (SOTW)

3: 1650ish to present (we preferred K12's History 4)

4: American (we used Hakim's concise edition)

5: HO1

6: HO2

7: HO3

8: Geography (such as Geography Alive)

9: American (American Odyssey)

10: World in big history fashion (Ways of the World is excellent and can be used over one or two or more years)

Here's what we're doing/have done:

K---year of basic American history (symbols, major holidays, major figures) and some basic world social studies on modern cultures (using DK's A Child Like Me)---I wanted her to have some basic background on US history---George Washington, Statue of Liberty, etc

1-4---SOTW, with the addition of more American history resources in 3-4 (The Story of the USA workbooks, historical fiction, nonfiction bios, field trips, etc)

5-6---HO vol. 1 and part of vol. 2

end of 6 start switch to American history as primary spine, filling in with HO for world history at appropriate places. Use Hakim's History of US as primary American spine

7-8---continue with the Hakim as primary, filling in with world (HO 2 and 3)

We're currently in the late 1800s with the second go round of this cycle. We go year-round, so I can speed up or slow down without worrying we're going to run out of time (for the most part). I don't yet know what 9-12 is going to look like.

We did the first volume of Human Odyssey in fifth grade, the second in sixth, and the third this year in seventh. American Odyssey will round out eighth grade :)

The reading level increases with each volume. The first is really not that difficult.

This is our plan as well. Human Odyssey 1 in 5th grade has worked very well for us. I've already purchased American Odyssey (LOL), and it looks like it will be a challenging but good fit for DS by the time he's in 8th grade.

We did 2 years of ancients as we started with a unit on hominid evolution & prehistory and then we added a whole bunch of Biblical history (we're Catholic so the two aren't contradictory ;) ) in K & 1st. Then medieval in 2nd. Then I decided world history was getting too dark for DS to join in so we did 2 years of American history in 3rd and 4th. DD showed an appalling lack of geographical knowledge (she seriously thought Argentina was one of the 50 states :banghead: ) so this year is world geography in 5th. The plan is to do HO in 6th-8th before picking up with whatever the normal honors track sequence is for the H.S. option we end up choosing.

We did 2 years of ancients as we started with a unit on hominid evolution & prehistory and then we added a whole bunch of Biblical history (we're Catholic so the two aren't contradictory ;) ) in K & 1st. Then medieval in 2nd. Then I decided world history was getting too dark for DS to join in so we did 2 years of American history in 3rd and 4th. DD showed an appalling lack of geographical knowledge (she seriously thought Argentina was one of the 50 states :banghead: ) so this year is world geography in 5th. The plan is to do HO in 6th-8th before picking up with whatever the normal honors track sequence is for the H.S. option we end up choosing.

We go year-round, so I covered general evolution the summer between K and 1st, then again in the summer before 5th, going more deeply into hominid evolution that time. I did a pretty relaxed world geography (using lots of travel videos and www.sheppardsoftware.com) in 5th as well. We need to do another geography course, perhaps next year (8th).