Menu

Ellie! I've got some WRTR questions!

So I've read my 4th edition of WRTR, and while I continue to work through it a couple times we are going to start learning the phonograms. I made my own set of cards (based on the ones included in the book) and I'm having a hard time hearing the difference in somethings.

#1: ui

The card says the two sounds it makes are "oo" (long sound) as in fruit, as well as "u" (long sound) as in suit. Is there really a difference in sound in these two words?

#2: y

"y" as it yet

"i" (short vowel sound) as in baby

"i" (long vowel sound) as in my

Doesn't the y in baby have a "y" sound and not a short "i" sound?

I know I had more questions but I can't think of them now. I'll come back when I remember! Thanks for helping out :)

Oh, and others can feel free to post questions here as well (assuming, Ellie, that that's okay with you!).

So I've read my 4th edition of WRTR, and while I continue to work through it a couple times we are going to start learning the phonograms. I made my own set of cards (based on the ones included in the book) and I'm having a hard time hearing the difference in somethings.

#1: ui

The card says the two sounds it makes are "oo" (long sound) as in fruit, as well as "u" (long sound) as in suit. Is there really a difference in sound in these two words?

We mostly mispronounce words with the second ui sound. The first sound is as you say in fruit; the second sound (and ew makes the same sounds) has a y sound. Imagine saying "syoot," the way you might say "few." Yes, there really are people who pronounce it that way, even if there aren't quite so many in the U.S., lol. It is still one of the two sounds that ui (and ew) make.

#2: y

"y" as it yet

"i" (short vowel sound) as in baby

"i" (long vowel sound) as in my

Doesn't the y in baby have a "y" sound and not a short "i" sound?

Ah, the old "I don't say i, I say ee" argument. :lol:

Here is Spalding's answer:

Q. Why are baby and other words pronounced with the first (short) sound of i when most people say the second (long) sound of e?

A. The Spalding Method teaches children to analyze the written spelling of words. Spelling has remained relatively constant over the years while pronunciations vary among geographical regions and countries. In the English spelling system y and i are used interchangeably, but y and e are not. For example, in the words gym, rhythm, system, we use y to represent the first sound of i.

When teaching children to spell, pronouncing the word ba by (short i), helps them to write y, not e. Note that the accent is on the first syllable. When reading the word for speaking, you have a choice: have children pronounce the word as spoken in your region or maintain the original pronunciation which is consistent with the spelling. Children have no problem with the difference. They understand that pronouncing words two ways helps them spell and read.

And FTR, there are people who pronounce i instead of ee. I promise, lol.

I know I had more questions but I can't think of them now. I'll come back when I remember! Thanks for helping out :)

Oh, and others can feel free to post questions here as well (assuming, Ellie, that that's okay with you!).

I am always happy to try to answer any questions. I don't have all the answers, but I'll give it my best shot. :D

Thanks for your help! In your opinion, will the world come crashing down if we just forget that second sound of y? I KNOW it won't be Spalding if I did that. But would it cause major problems and/or seriously damage my children's potential for spelling success?

Thanks for your help! In your opinion, will the world come crashing down if we just forget that second sound of y? I KNOW it won't be Spalding if I did that. But would it cause major problems and/or seriously damage my children's potential for spelling success?

What about words like "pilgrim"? "hit"? "kick"? You can't not teach that y's first vowel sound is short i. You can discuss using it at the end of a word, but you can't neglect teaching it at all. :-)

Can I ask a much more general question? In SWR, there are all these supplemental things listed at the bottom of each lesson.

How much should I really do if he seems to be "getting it"?

Sorry. I don't know SWR.:-( There are lots of experienced SWR users here, though, so if you start a new thread, I'm sure you'll get the answers you need. :001_smile:

I teach it, but I don't emphasize it. I tell them that it's technically the second sound of "y" and teach them the rule, but sometimes point it out when we are spelling. I don't usually ask them to mark it that way (Ha, how's that for consistency? Point is that they know there's a reason behind it, but it's a bit foreign to the way WE speak in our home).

Ellie, new question, or maybe an old question:

Does WRTR cover the same things as FLL? Or should I supplement with FLL?

I know you've said WRTR is a comprehensive LA program, I'm just anxious and impatient. And I have planning time now and WRTR hasn't come yet (reference earlier toe tapping). Just want to be able to cross this off my mental list.

Thanks!

Ellie, new question, or maybe an old question:

Does WRTR cover the same things as FLL? Or should I supplement with FLL?

I know you've said WRTR is a comprehensive LA program, I'm just anxious and impatient. And I have planning time now and WRTR hasn't come yet (reference earlier toe tapping). Just want to be able to cross this off my mental list.

Thanks!

*Spalding* covers many of the same things. Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual. :-)

Most of us hsers don't do Spalding for the reading, grammar and composition lessons, but you certainly could. The spelling lesson alone (which is where children learn to read by learning to spell) includes penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. (You understand that the "reading lesson" isn't where children learn to read; it involves literature analysis, comprehension work, and whatnot.)

So, yes, if you wanted to, you could do Spalding as a complete "language arts" program (it really hurts me to write "language arts," lol). It's all in the manual. Wait...which edition of the manual are you getting? If it's the fourth, then never mind. Just stick with FLL. :-) (although you can still do the literature). If it's fifth or sixth, then you'd want to also get the Spalding readers, as they teach the kinds of literature and writing covered in the manual.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have another question!

My daughter was pretty quick with learning many of the phonograms, but now she's starting to struggle. She learned about the first 40 without problem, but the next 25 or so are hit or miss (she knows some, but not others). Are there any recommendations for creative ways to teach them so they are committed to memory? I didn't see too many ideas in the book (4th edition), but was wondering if you had any suggestions. Here's what we've been doing:

1. I hold up the flash card and tell her the sound(s) the phogram makes. She repeats them back to me. She writes them down.

2. After a few of those I hold up the card so she can tell me the sounds. For the ones she doesn't know I then tell her.

3. I lay the cards out on the table and she tells me (and then picks up) the ones she knows. I help her with the rest.

4. I hold the cards to myself and say the phonogram sounds to her, she writes down the phonogram.

But we're getting to the point where she just can't seem to learn/remember many of them. I think we just need to change things up a bit, but I'm just not sure what to try next.

Thanks for your help!

Are you drilling the phonograms daily? That's in the manual. :-)

There are two kinds of drill: oral and written.

For written drill, you dictate the phonogram and she writes it. You will teach her to ask "which one?" when you say, for example, /A/ (the "long" sound of a). There are, um, three phonograms whose only sound is /A/: ai, ay, and eigh. The single phonogram "a" has three sounds, so she should know that one without asking. So, you would say "/A/" for the phonogram eigh; she will ask, "Which one?" and you will say "/A/ the 4-letter." She will write eigh. Or you will say "/A/", which is ay. Or you will say "/A/ never used at the end of a word," and she will write "ai."

For oral drill, you will hold up the phonogram card and she will say the sounds.

These are the "crutches:"

oy-- just the sound

oi -- /OY/ never used at the end of a word (you teach it this way, too)

ew-- just the sound

ui-- you say the sounds and "never used at the end of a word" (ditto)

eigh--/A/ the 4-letter

igh--/I/ the 3-letter

kn--always used at the beginning of a word

gn--the 2-letter

aw--just the sound

au--never used at the end of a word

ck--used after a single vowel that doesn't say its name

dge--used after a single vowel that doesn't say its name

sh--just the sound

ti-- /sh/ of nation

ci--/sh/ of facial

oa--/O/ of boat

oe--/O/ of toe

r-- just the sound

wr--/r/ the 2-letter

I love this thread! It is so helpful!

I am working with my almost 5 year old on the phonograms. She has 15 more to learn. For the written drill we review all the phonograms at least once daily. Is that correct? (We are doing oral and dictation daily). Even after reading the manual 3 times I am still not completely confident in my ability to teach this method.

I agree! I am loving this thread as well. I have been going over the manual for a few days now. Just when I think I'm okay with it, I freak out about something else. In what order do I do what? Do I have to teach all the phonograms before I start on the list? or just the first 45? After the first 45 are taught when and @ what rate do I teach the remainder? I know I love the concept behind this method, but I do doubt my ability to implement it with success.

Oh, and Ellie this is for you. My DDs asked me about the book I was reading. I explained that it would be for our new spelling program. But I didn't stop there. I went on to say that this brilliant and wonderful woman was going to help us with it. I basically told them you were a genius and would be holding Mommy's hand through the whole process.=)

Ok, I have another question!

But we're getting to the point where she just can't seem to learn/remember many of them. I think we just need to change things up a bit, but I'm just not sure what to try next.

Phonogram BINGO! You can make a chart (or five - so you can include a big variation of phonograms) like a BINGO card with some of the phonograms she's struggling with. Give her pennies to mark the boxes with. Call out the phonograms (ones that are on the card & a few that aren't). She marks the one she knows. When she gets BINGO, she calls them (just the row/column) back out to you. I let my kids keep the pennies for the ones they got right (as long as I'd actually called 'em). This will help with recognition, but not necessarily writing them properly.

We also set the phonogram cards on the floor in a crazy pattern. (You can have a 'treat' of some kind hidden at the end if you like. Following the crazy pattern all over the floor is enough for my kids.) They call out the sounds & get to pick it up if they get them right. Then, they move onto the next card ... space the cards however you need to.

We also sometimes play, "I'm thinking of a multiletter phonogram" -- which involves giving a clue & letting them guess, then giving more clues until they get it. My kids like coming up with their own clues and stumping me! It would go like this, "I'm thinking of a multiletter phonogram that only says one sound." (They guess /A/, two-letter-/A/, that we may use at the end of English words 'ay'.) I shake my head & say, "My phonogram can't be used at the end of English words." (They guess /A/, two-letter-/A/, that we may not use at the end of English words 'ai'.) I shake my head & say, "My phonogram is made up of only vowels." (They guess 'oi'.) I shake my head & say, "My phonogram says the name of the letter that comes before P in the alphabet." (They successfully guess 'oa' and then it is their turn to stump me.)

Other game ideas (some will be do-able, some not) are here.

I'll tell you that SWR doesn't expect 100% mastery of the phonograms for quite awhile. Using them in context helps, IMO.

I agree! I am loving this thread as well. I have been going over the manual for a few days now. Just when I think I'm okay with it, I freak out about something else. In what order do I do what? Do I have to teach all the phonograms before I start on the list? or just the first 45? After the first 45 are taught when and @ what rate do I teach the remainder? I know I love the concept behind this method, but I do doubt my ability to implement it with success.

Are you really asking, or are you just commenting on things you freak out on? :-)

You teach the single-letter phonograms that begin with circles, then the single-letter phonograms that begin with lines; after that, you teach them in the order of the cards.

If you're doing the fifth or sixth edition, you teach the first 45 phonograms, then you begin teaching the words in the spelling list; you continue drilling phonograms already taught, plus you continue teaching the new ones, until all 70 are learned.

Oh, and Ellie this is for you. My DDs asked me about the book I was reading. I explained that it would be for our new spelling program. But I didn't stop there. I went on to say that this brilliant and wonderful woman was going to help us with it. I basically told them you were a genius and would be holding Mommy's hand through the whole process.=)

:grouphug:

Thank you. DD's school uses this and I didn't know all the extra stuff you say with them. They do it in class and have us work with them on phonograms at home but I didn't know the extra stuff they should be saying too. I didn't even know to do a written drill too until you said it in an earlier thread and now I learned how you let them know which one to write when it is a sound that can have more than one possibility. DD already knows all 70 phonograms but while she is a okay speller for the end of kindergarten she doesn't know the rules as well for spelling as she does when she reads and I think having her know the extras and practicing writing them would help her spelling.

One question I have is once they have the phonograms memorized how often should you drill them so they don't forget it? I haven't been working on them as much now. Every once in a while I go through to see if she still knows them and if she has any that she needs to work on we work on those but she usually will the next day when I ask.

Thank you. DD's school uses this and I didn't know all the extra stuff you say with them. They do it in class and have us work with them on phonograms at home but I didn't know the extra stuff they should be saying too. I didn't even know to do a written drill too until you said it in an earlier thread and now I learned how you let them know which one to write when it is a sound that can have more than one possibility. DD already knows all 70 phonograms but while she is a okay speller for the end of kindergarten she doesn't know the rules as well for spelling as she does when she reads and I think having her know the extras and practicing writing them would help her spelling.

How kewl that your dd's school does Spalding. Excellent!! The teachers should give you more information, though.

And you only give children a crutch if a phonogram has just one sound and there are other phonograms that also have the same one sound (e.g., r and wr, kn and gn--n doesn't use a crutch because it's the "original").

She sounds fine for a 5yo. :-)

Spalding is more than the rules. There are only 27 of them, and they don't apply to all words. A rule is only further explanation of a phonogram. For example, that "a" has three sounds is not a rule. That it says its second sound at the end of a short word or syllable is (Rule 4).

One question I have is once they have the phonograms memorized how often should you drill them so they don't forget it? I haven't been working on them as much now. Every once in a while I go through to see if she still knows them and if she has any that she needs to work on we work on those but she usually will the next day when I ask.

Daily drill, which presumably she does at school, yes? But daily drill, at least oral drill if not written. She'll be doing more spelling words next year, which will help her remember the phonograms better because she'll be using them more, KWIM?

Ellie, I wanted to thank you for recommending Spalding and helping us get started with it — through answers you gave me, and everyone else. It is going really well at our house.

YW. And yay!

DS is four. He has mastered many phonograms already and loves listening to his older sister's Spalding stuff as well as playing with the phonograms. Here's the thing. He hates drawing and coloring, though he is great with other fine motor stuff like taking things (like clocks!) apart and putting them back together. He doesn't draw stick people, or circles, or anything that indicates he might be ready to start writing. How do I proceed?

He's just 4. At this age, just learning things like drawing circles starting at 2 on the clock, vertical lines starting at the top, drawing horizontal lines "in the direction that we read and write" would be fine. And the drawing should be fun, as in drawing in Cool Whip or chocolate pudding. :-) When he's 5ish you can think about having him write the phonograms, and when he learns to write his name, he should form the letters properly, and capitalize only the first letter (and know why he does that).

I'm comin' back for more....

We're getting ready to start on the spelling notebook. But I'm a little confused about the first seven pages. First of all, I understand that we should do the first two pages right away since DD has learned those phonograms and knows them all. But with the second page, do we fill in all five columns before we even start the spelling list? Some of them are awfully complicated words, considering we haven't worked on the basics yet. And then pages 3-7 are more of the same thing: columns of of words that go with specific phonograms (some of which we haven't learned yet).

Are we supposed to do ALL of this (as per the examples in the book) before even beginning with the first spelling words? Or are these pages something we work on as we come to the words later on?

Thanks again :)

I'm comin' back for more....

We're getting ready to start on the spelling notebook. But I'm a little confused about the first seven pages. First of all, I understand that we should do the first two pages right away since DD has learned those phonograms and knows them all. But with the second page, do we fill in all five columns before we even start the spelling list? Some of them are awfully complicated words, considering we haven't worked on the basics yet. And then pages 3-7 are more of the same thing: columns of of words that go with specific phonograms (some of which we haven't learned yet).

Are we supposed to do ALL of this (as per the examples in the book) before even beginning with the first spelling words? Or are these pages something we work on as we come to the words later on?

Thanks again :)

Primary children don't do the rule pages.

Teach Rule Page 1 when your dc has mastered first 45 phonograms and written all 70 in manuscript and cursive (p. 76). Follow the procedures for teaching.

Teach the words in the spelling list up to the word "spring" in Section I, then teach Rule Page 2.

You can teach Page 7 when all 70 phonograms have been taught.

Intermediate children learn Rule 9 (Page 3) after they have completed spelling words up to the word "setting" in Section K, then teach pages 3 and 4.

Teach Pages 5 and 6 just before the word "coming" in Section K.

With older dc, you dictate the headings on each of the rule pages before you start the spelling words. Then you go back and teach the rest of the rule pages when you need to.

If you have the 4th edition, just read the EAL word for word. It tells you exactly when to teach/dictate the material on the rules pages. It took me weeks to notice this. But there will be a break in the list and it will say something like, "Now teach the five kinds of silent e's". With my first grader I just take a lesson to discuss the already completed rule page in the book or in my notebook. With my third grader, I dictated it to him. Then we go back to the spelling words and keep on until the next thing it tells you to teach. These explicit instructions seems to be missing from my 6th edition.

Ellie,

I am a little confused... We memorized all 70 phonograms. (We are using the 4th edition). A five year old would then start on sections A-G (page 133 in the 4th edition), is that correct? Do we wait to do page one until cursive is learned? What should be our next step?

A 5yo starts the spelling words when he has learned the first 54 phonograms.

You don't do cursive with a 5yo.

You make posters of the rule pages for children under 8yo/3rd grade; younger dc only write their words in a spelling notebook, not the rule pages.

The sixth edition does say when to teach the rule pages to older dc, but you have to pay attention more, or in a different way, lol.

Ellie, I just want to say thank you for your patience with us and our many questions! My girls and I have done the first 45 phonograms, have started their spelling notebooks, and are reviewing and adding in new phonograms daily. And to tell you the truth, when I first got the manual I almost threw it out the window! I do not know about the other editions but the 5th IS NOT user friendly! Thanks to your encouragement I hung in there.

To anyone else who is still unsure, it does get easier once you actually start doing the spelling notebook. Things that didn't make much sense before just kind of click once you are actually putting it into practice. Good luck to all. With plenty of hand holding, I am sure it will all turn out fine. My girls actually said, "Yea, spelling!" this morning. This is a good thing!

• 1 month later...

Ellie, I have a question for you. I am using the 4th edition. My dc (who turned 5 a week ago) just finished section H. Should I review A-G and H? Or just move on to section I? She loves reading and spelling and seems to be doing well. Not sure what my next step should be.

By all means, move on. :-)

It doesn't hurt, though, to include a few review words each week. Remember to read (ore read again) chapter 6, "Teaching in the Different Grades."

Well done!

As you are reading through the second time, I recommend doing everything: practice the handwriting while reading the precise dialogue to yourself. Drill yourself on the phonograms. When you get to Chapter 5, get out a notebook and start making one. Follow the exact instructions for "teaching program for third grade and older students." When when you get to the Extended Ayres List, read every word and enter it with markings into your notebook. The EAL gives instructions for when to dictate the remaining rule pages. Follow them and keep going. I really didn't get Spalding past the phonogram drill until I bit the bullet and made my own notebook. It forced me to slow down my reading enough to see that all the instructions really are there.

Ladies,

Will you tell me what exactly you use for the notebook? My 4th edition is still in a box somewhere but I am looking for it and need to get my notebook done ASAP. I am embarrassed to share that I could never figure out what to use for the notebook or where to get it. :)

Ladies,

Will you tell me what exactly you use for the notebook? My 4th edition is still in a box somewhere but I am looking for it and need to get my notebook done ASAP. I am embarrassed to share that I could never figure out what to use for the notebook or where to get it. :)

You can get them from Spalding.org but I just used composition books from the store. Although, I have read that the binding is different or less bulky to better help facilitate handwriting. Not sure, maybe I will go purchase. ;)

We have actual Spalding notebooks which I bought because I was getting a couple of other things from Spalding and the prices were actually fine. And I do like the 5/8 in line spacing without the dashed middle line for younger kids. That is pretty much impossible to find elsewhere. But for third grade and up it's just a regular wide-rule composition book and you don't need anything special for it. I think the Spalding ones are only 50 leaves which is supposed to be better for hand positioning since the book isn't so thick.

We have actual Spalding notebooks which I bought because I was getting a couple of other things from Spalding and the prices were actually fine. And I do like the 5/8 in line spacing without the dashed middle line for younger kids. That is pretty much impossible to find elsewhere. But for third grade and up it's just a regular wide-rule composition book and you don't need anything special for it. I think the Spalding ones are only 50 leaves which is supposed to be better for hand positioning since the book isn't so thick.

Yes, what she said. :) I just ordered mine.

You can get them from Spalding.org but I just used composition books from the store. Although, I have read that the binding is different or less bulky to better help facilitate handwriting. Not sure, maybe I will go purchase. ;)

Aha! This is precisely the tidbit of info I need. I am off to look and definitely need a notebook that works for younger kids which is why the usual comp books weren't cutting it. ;) Thanks!

Okay, while I am ordering the comp books is there anything else I need? I am very streamlined and prefer to work with the fewest resources possible. I already have and use phonogram and spelling rule cards from Logic of English and hope to mesh those with the WRTR manual a bit. I really love the simplicity and frugality of the WRTR method/notebook so I am willing to tweak a bit to make this happen. I will only be using this for phonics and spelling. ;)

ETA: Good tip on the paper. I will add that for my younger two.

Okay, while I am ordering the comp books is there anything else I need? I am very streamlined and prefer to work with the fewest resources possible. I already have and use phonogram and spelling rule cards from Logic of English and hope to mesh those with the WRTR manual a bit. I really love the simplicity and frugality of the WRTR method/notebook so I am willing to tweak a bit to make this happen. I will only be using this for phonics and spelling. ;)

ETA: Good tip on the paper. I will add that for my younger two.

WRTR is not a method. Spalding is the method. :-)

Truly, you'll be better off if you just pick a method and go with it: either Spalding or LOE. Since you already have LOE stuff, do that.

I haven't ever tried LOE but I also like things streamlined and I also like being frugal. If you are already ordering from Spalding, just get their cards. They are inexpensive and sound like the only thing keeping you from just doing Spalding all the way.

Just my two cents :)

I don't think there is anything else you need. Pencils, obviously. When we do a lesson we do the words the first time on a whiteboard but that's just a personal preference thing. My dd really likes using a ruler to mark her words but most families have rulers already :)

Oh dear. I do know this and I am ashamed of myself for writing the word method next to WRTR. Sorry!

WRTR is not a method. Spalding is the method. :-)

Truly, you'll be better off if you just pick a method and go with it: either Spalding or LOE. Since you already have LOE stuff, do that.

By all means, move on. :-)

It doesn't hurt, though, to include a few review words each week. Remember to read (ore read again) chapter 6, "Teaching in the Different Grades."

Well done!

Thank you, Ellie. You are so helpful. I have read every (or almost every) post you've written on WRTR. If it wasn't for you, I probably would have given up. I am so grateful to you. This has been such a perfect fit for us.