Menu

Independent vocabulary curric for 8th?

DD is a pretty good speller (when she thinks about it), but mostly she is excellent at memorizing things. ;) We've done 8 years of Abeka spelling - her averages have always been between 95 - 100% each semester. I'm thinking that for 8th I'd like to branch out and try a vocabulary program instead. I have her working on a review packet of Latin/Greek roots between now and fall (she finished up Abeka 7th and I wanted something for the summer too). What to do in August??

Originally, I thought I wanted her to try MCT Word Within, but now I'm a little afraid of it. LOL It sounds *very* rigorous! :ohmy: Also, she isn't particularly interested in doing a more in-depth study of Greek or Latin, and Abeka 6th grade she completed a year study of various roots alongside her spelling (as part of that curriculum). I nixed CE I and II because I felt it would be repetitious for the study she's already completed.

I don't want to tie her down with anything that will take too long - a.) because she is a voracious reader and is expanding her vocabulary quite naturally and b.) because we have other 8th grade fish to fry in trying to bring her up to speed in composition/essay skills.

What I really want is something concise and purposeful. I'd love it to be self-directed. I'd really love if we could just have a list of interesting words for her to study, input into spelling city, test on Friday and move on. I don't mind if it's Greek, Latin, English or whatever. Workbook activities (not word scramble and other silliness, but helpful/interesting) are also good.

Is there such a thing?

Have you looked at Wordly Wise 3000 workbooks? We really like them and they fit the criteria you mentioned. Good exercises with the words in context. My DS completes one lesson every week, by working on it two days per week, about 15 minutes per day. I believe each level has 20 lessons, so he does two levels per year this way with great retention. You can buy student workbooks, teacher manuals, and answer keys, without having to prove you are a homeschooler, from all the usual sources, Amazon, etc. Also you can see complete word lists & there are good free online activities to reinforce the lessons at wordlywise3000.com, and you do not have to register to use them.

Get the National Spelling Bee lists choose a list or two and have her define them. she could learn the regular words, as well as the Challenge words

http://myspellit.com/

This doesn't cost much.

Other options:

English From the Roots Up Vol 1 or Vol 2.

100 Words Every Freshman Should Know. There other books like this. Look on the Amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Words-Every-School-Freshman-Should/dp/B0099RK7J4

Get the National Spelling Bee lists choose a list or two and have her define them. she could learn the regular words, as well as the Challenge words

http://myspellit.com/

This doesn't cost much.

Other options:

English From the Roots Up Vol 1 or Vol 2.

100 Words Every Freshman Should Know. There other books like this. Look on the Amazon link.

http://www.amazon.com/Words-Every-School-Freshman-Should/dp/B0099RK7J4

We actually have the Spellit words because my younger dd went to the county spelling bee this year. I could use that but I'd have to come up with something for her to use for daily reinforcement, and right now it's better if there is just a workbook for her to follow. ;)

Have you used English from the Roots Up? I had looked at it previously.

In this thread, Lori D. told us her method of using English From the Roots Up, if you're interested. (hers is post #7)

Only familiar with English from the Roots Up. When it became clear that Latin was just not going to happen here, we switched to becoming familiar with some Latin and Greek roots through EftRU to assist with vocabulary.

We used just the book (not the flashcards), and did it as a sort of game. We'd cover up the definition and list the words using that root, and try to come up with words we thought had that root in it. From that, we would try to guess what the root meant. Example: "photo" -- we came up with telephoto, photograph, photosynthesis, etc. -- "Oh look, those words have to do with cameras, lens, or light. Cameras need light; maybe it means light?"

Then we would read the definition, the list of words in the book using that root, and the explanation about the root. If we came up with words not in the book's list, we'd look them up in the dictionary; if they did come from that root, then we'd add them to the list on the index cards we made to go along with each root.

For extension activities: check out:

- this past thread for more ideas on how to use or schedule EftRU

- in that thread, rcom's posts Cynce's Place blog with downloadable freebies (schedule, notebooking pages, flashcards for EftRU)

- the Shelby Family Academy has word search puzzles of the roots for fun review at a new website: TTKreations

EftRU was enjoyable, interactive, and really did help DSs learn roots that helped them later on in high school for deciphering vocabulary. BEST of luck in finding what is the best fit for YOUR family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Sadlier Oxford's vocab is available at Vocabtest. It might be a good site to check out to determine what level is correct for your daughter before you order, or if you wouldn't mind vocabulary becoming more of a online game activity rather than a structured workbook.

Sadlier Oxford's vocab is available at Vocabtest. It might be a good site to check out to determine what level is correct for your daughter before you order, or if you wouldn't mind vocabulary becoming more of a online game activity rather than a structured workbook.

Thank you for this! We use Wordly Wise and I see it is on the Vocabtest site too! Never heard of it before.

AFAIK, it is only sold through either the publisher or Kolbe Academy. Amazon Marketplace also often has some copies for sale but availability can be hit-or-miss.

Thanks! The shipping seems a bit high on the publisher's website. I'm going to keep my eye out for it on Amazon (there are actually several there now, but I'm not ready to order for next year, yet).

Sadlier Oxford has been great for us this year as well. The only problem I've encountered is the lack of an answer key (I have no problem figuring out the correct answer, but I would like my end of the day grading to go a little faster). I don't want to distract from the OP question, but I am wondering where Sadlier Oxford users purchase their answer key? I had purchased the student books through Kolbe, but they only sell the teacher's manual to families registered with their program.

We get the TM through our virtual charter, but as all it contains is just an answer key it would be pretty easy to use without it IMHO. We are also using Sadlier-Oxford Grammar and Writing for Standardized Tests and the TM for that was backordered for a bit. I was able to correct it fairly easily without the TM until it came in.

We used Sadiler Oxford when I taught English in ps. I am using English from the roots up with my son, and plan on continuing through the second volume. If a child learns the roots then they can come close to defining any word by looking at the root and context. I will probably go with SO of high school if I feel like he needs it.

• 1 month later...

Sadlier Oxford has been great for us this year as well. The only problem I've encountered is the lack of an answer key (I have no problem figuring out the correct answer, but I would like my end of the day grading to go a little faster). I don't want to distract from the OP question, but I am wondering where Sadlier Oxford users purchase their answer key? I had purchased the student books through Kolbe, but they only sell the teacher's manual to families registered with their program.

Sadlier Oxford rocks! I have used it off and on for years when I don't have time for MCT. I have never had an answer key as the correcting doesn't take all that long. If you use Stanford testing, you will really notice the results in the vocab scores.