Menu

Any Washington DC restaurant recommendations?

What kind of food do you like? What's your price range? Do you want restaurants actually in DC or in NOVA?

My dh and I both like Jaleo (Spanish tapas) a lot. The chef that started that is Jose Andreas. He has two other great restaurants that also have the "small plate" theme. They aren't a chain but all have him as the main chef. They are Oyamel (Mexican) and Zaytinya (Middle Eastern). The idea is that it's all small plates...you order maybe 3-5 small plates per person. It's fun because you get a lot of different foods to try. They certainly aren't cheap but can be reasonable.

http://www.jaleo.com/

http://www.oyamel.com/

http://www.zaytinya.com/

We go out a fair amount (and used to go out more before kids) so if you narrow it down a bit more as to type of food, etc I might have more thoughts.

Here is a link to Washingtonian Magazine's 100 top restaurants.

http://www.washingtonian.com/packages/verybest2008

If you don't mind driving into Virginia and have a generous budget, I highly recommend L'Auberge Chez Francois and The Inn at Little Washington.

Did I just hear that The Inn at Little Washington was named the best in the world? I'm sorry, but I just heard something like that while passing the TV and have no details.

We are adventurous and would be willing to try about anything. We have plenty of beef and steak places here in the midwest, though, so I'm not really looking for that. Good seafood would be nice.

We're staying in DC but would drive to VA once or twice for a really good meal. The kids will be eating with us for some meals, but dh and I will probably have a few dinners by ourselves.

Cost isn't an issue.

Great recommendations so far, thanks!

I totally recommend Food for Thought in Williamsburg. It's across the street from Chili's and a couple of hotels on the main road into town.

We chose it based on the Trip Advisor reviews. They were extremely accommodating to our party of 12, which ranged from 7-80 years old. Everyone enjoyed the atmosphere, and we all had fun reading from the trivia cards on the tables. Their food selections were varied, and the food was excellent.

I'm one of those people who want the same thing everywhere I go. I typically stick to chain restaurants. I do not like the unknown, and I was a little unsure about choosing this place. But it was one of the highlights of our trip.

If you are adventurous maybe try some ethnic restaurants in Adams Morgan (Columbia Rd area). They have a really great Ethiopian restaurant there I ate at ages ago! There's lots of ethnic to explore.

Old Ebbitt Grill has been there since forever and is a popular spot for theater goers. It is very good. For seafood try Pesce in Dupont Circle or Legal Seafoods.

My brother in law is the comptroller for the Palm Restaurants. Of course that is lots of beef but they also have seafood. I love their lobster bisque. Lots of biggies in the area eat there for power lunches. You might spot somebody. I saw Ted Koppel there once!

If you want to be near capitol hill try the French restaurant La Colline.

I have eaten twice at L'Auberge Chez Francoise (I think, I often seem to get it confused with another French restaurant in Old Town Alexandria) but frankly, while it is great and everything, it is that German influenced French cooking (Alsace-Lorraine) and I just don't like it as much as other types of French cooking.

I have never eaten at The Inn at Little Washington. You have to book months in advance and it is a good 1.5 hours from DC in good traffic (and traffic is often not good!). You would definitely not take children there!

I was at school in The Burg for 4 years; don't miss one of the taverns. Your kids will really enjoy the "colonial" experience. It's fun. My personal fave is King's Arms Tavern, nearly all the way down Duke of Gloucester Street ("DOG" Street, as they say) by the capital. Reservations are a must.

Now I live outside DC--waaaaayyy outside, near Warrenton. The Inn at Little Washington isn't just expensive: Prepare to leave a kidney. Seriously. If you are willing to drive that far, consider Foti's in Culpeper or Apt. 2G in Front Royal as much less stuffy but still fabulously delectable alternatives. Both are run by veterans of the Inn at Little Washington kitchens.

Another great place to find restaurants (including really good seafood and the ethnic cuisine that Faith referred to) is Old Town Alexandria. A couple of favorites of mine there are Casablanca and Taverna Cretekou, but there also used to be a great Cajun place as well as a good Ethiopian place. Chez Andree also is (or was) quite good and is much easier to get into than L'Auberge Chez Francois. Old Town's just a short drive along the Potomac River from Mount Vernon! (Note: Don't bother with the peanut soup at the Mount Vernon restaurant, but DON'T MISS peanut soup in Williamsburg. YUM!!)

Finally, the Lebanese Taverna (several locations, but locally owned) is one of my very favorite eats in the area. Just thinking about the kibbeh makes me drool....:tongue_smilie:

Have fun!