Menu

What is the best, most versatile laminator?

The search feature isn't working well for me at the moment, and there are so many different makes and models that I'm feeling overwhelmed. I would be using it for many applications, but Homeschooling is one. I thought I'd ask for recommendations. If you'd care to share why you love the choice you made, that would be helpful too. Thanks!

I just have the cheap scotch laminator, but I've been totally happy with it.

Can you give some examples of how you'd like it to be versatile? Mine's simple and I wouldn't consider it versatile, but it's done everything I've ever needed it to.

I'm not really 100% sure lol. I would use it for my own home published books (cooking, organizing, etc), for organizational projects...labeling, etc. I would also use it for homeschooling projects, for boards in our nature study area, etc. I know I would use it quite frequently, and I guess what i really need to know is whether I would need the 13 inch or if the 9 would suffice, and what brands are most reliable. Sorry my first post was rather vague. I guess I'm not completely sure what I should be asking. :) Thanks for your reply!

I got this one when it was on sale for $17 or so a few months ago

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Thermal-Laminator-Roller-TL901/dp/B0010JEJPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363830391&sr=8-1&keywords=scotch+laminator

I like it just fine. Takes a while to heat up but it laminates easily and fairly quickly.

I don't know how versatile they can be.

Yeah...my wording was really bad. It sounded as if I wanted it to be some type of transforming robot or something. Versatile was a terrible adjective. I really just wanted to be sure about the ability to accept various thicknesses of paper, what width most people choose, and how reliable the different brands seemed. I suppose I shouldn't try to post after a bad day. Thanks for your responses! :)

I have this one from Amazon and it has been great.

http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Cows-Laminator-Includes-3016c/dp/B005FVNH68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363832142&sr=8-1&keywords=purple+cows+laminator

It heats up in about 90 seconds. It came with a bunch of 3 mil laminating pouches but I prefer the 5 mil. I have never needed anything over 8 1/2 x 11 laminated, so this one works well for me and it was reasonable. I have laminated regular paper and heavy card stock without any problems.

Ok. I'm off to compare the scotch to the purple cow. Thank you for narrowing my focus and reminding me that I can just take the occasional larger item somewhere and have it laminated. I really do appreciate everyone who gave an opinion.

Another vote for the Scotch :). I've only needed a bigger item laminated once, and I just took it to Staples.

I'm sorry you had a bad day, but I would really like a transforming robot laminator! My boys would think I was super cool, then :D.

If it cleaned, planned, shopped and cooked meals, plus laminated, I would be in love. If it was a robot of any kind, my boys would think life was grand. Of course, for weeks, we'd never accomplish any learning apart from what could be gleaned from the super awesome transforming laminator! :D

If you are looking for a heavier duty laminator check out mybinding.com. Their descriptions include advantages and disadvantages to the different products like binders and laminators. These laminators are, of course, more expensive. . .but the reviews/descriptions might help to narrow things down for you.

If you are looking for a heavier duty laminator check out mybinding.com. Their descriptions include advantages and disadvantages to the different products like binders and laminators. These laminators are, of course, more expensive. . .but the reviews/descriptions might help to narrow things down for you.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm headed over to check it out. :)

I have the Scotch/3M one. I like it better than the professional roll-style laminator at church. The only benefit to the professional one would be if you needed to do BIG objects, but I never need more than the size of an 8.5x11" sheet of card stock. The quality of the lamination here has been better than that of the professional. Not bad for the $16 I bought it for (Amazon Deal of the Day a few years back). I use the "Universal" brand laminating pouches from Amazon. They work great. I can even print a sheet, then cut items out of the sheet (you wouldn't want these items to get wet, of course). They have held up to my boys, not de-laminating at all.

I have the Scotch/3M one. I like it better than the professional roll-style laminator at church. The only benefit to the professional one would be if you needed to do BIG objects, but I never need more than the size of an 8.5x11" sheet of card stock. The quality of the lamination here has been better than that of the professional. Not bad for the $16 I bought it for (Amazon Deal of the Day a few years back). I use the "Universal" brand laminating pouches from Amazon. They work great. I can even print a sheet, then cut items out of the sheet (you wouldn't want these items to get wet, of course). They have held up to my boys, not de-laminating at all.

I think I'm going to go with the purple cows 13" laminator. Sometimes, I want to laminate something that's 12x12. I don't do huge items often, so the price of those super sized laminators would never be justified for me, even if I saved for one. I'll just take the big items to Kinko's or somewhere similar. Those times are rare enough to work around.

Thank you for mentioning that you successfully use the "Universal" pouches. I always appreciate tips like this! :)