Menu

Does your library have video game consoles?

trlt

After reading the thread about WTM books in your library I looked more closely at our local library (we don't go there since they never have books we need. We go to another city's library). Our library has a game cube console in the teen section. Is that normal? I always thought our library was lacking but this seems to be wayyyy over the top lacking to me! I found out about it by going to our "friends of the library" facebook page. Why would a library have a game console to play?

Whats wrong with the library having a game console?

My library hosts a Teen night, I've never been to it, but they play video games there...

They also have various types of media available for check out, and while my library has never loaned video games, I have heard of others that do/did..

Libraries need patronage because they are funded with Tax dollars and I don't see anything wrong with libraries creating programs to keep their patronage up. Now if the game is disruptive of the library environment, then I can imagine there being a problem with that. However, my library is big enough that they have program rooms where no one has ever noticed the noise from Teen Game night.

Why don't you go and visit your library again, and take a more open view of the library? Ask about their programs, tour the facilities etc...

I guess I should clarify...I used to visit our library frequently. I stopped because they never had books that I needed and it wasn't worth going to when there is another library in the next city that had most of the books I need. I have an issue with having video game consoles when they don't have books. I can understand that they want to keep their patronage up but, in the case of my library, maybe they should try getting books!

ETA: I guess I am just bitter because of the lack of books.

OUrs has an XBOx and Playstation, oh and a Wii, and regularly scheduled weekly game days - which is mostly what the summer "reading" program consists of... They have some books - but space for a really awesome amount of them since they now have what was the whole library when the adult stuff moved into the new building. The Manga section is the biggest section...

Games and computers - that is what the kids around here go to the library for, there are a lot of kids "dumped" there afterschool and in the summer, so this is their way of providing entertainment.

Do I like it? Not really..... but I guess it is a better place for my teenager to hang out than the alternative.... I think. We have more books here that she reads than they do anyway.

Yes, in the teen section. They also have a number of games that can be checked out. Our library has made a huge transition in terms of buying technology over books lately. I have mixed feelings about it....mostly I hate that they don't have filters on the computers they've set up for internet usage. Alternatively, they could put in an adult only section of seating. I don't let me kids anywhere near the computers for fear of what they might see, iykwim.

I guess I should clarify...I used to visit our library frequently. I stopped because they never had books that I needed and it wasn't worth going to when there is another library in the next city that had most of the books I need. I have an issue with having video game consoles when they don't have books. I can understand that they want to keep their patronage up but, in the case of my library, maybe they should try getting books!

Did you inquire about InterLibraryLoan possiblities also, it might be easier or just as nice to have the books you want shipped to your local library.

I guess those consoles can be annoying, but who knows what a difference they will/can make in some young persons life (either providing inspiration to create something new and interesting or just keeping them from getting into trouble else where and preventing them from getting a record, etc.)

ETA: I guess I am just bitter because of the lack of books.

I understand completely, try and be positive though. Don't let it get you down, I'm sure there is some way to express your concerns to someone in some degree of power. It might actually change something if you file a formal complain that for years the library selection hasn't been up to par and now they are buying expensive electronics etc...

Have you looked into it?

Hmm, ours does not; or at least, not that I'm aware of. It doesn't have a separate teen section. There's the YA book/movie section but it's just two aisles sandwiched between the audiobooks and large print sections. The far side of the library has all the computer stations but I hardly ever see teens on the computers. Maybe it's because our library is in a fairly affluent area and the kids already have their game systems at home. Or that the kids around here prefer online gaming while they skype.

As far as I can tell they don't even have video games for check out. People actually go there to do research, find books, study. I've seen it with my own eyes! :laugh:

Did you inquire about InterLibraryLoan possiblities also, it might be easier or just as nice to have the books you want shipped to your local library.

I guess those consoles can be annoying, but who knows what a difference they will/can make in some young persons life (either providing inspiration to create something new and interesting or just keeping them from getting into trouble else where and preventing them from getting a record, etc.)

I'm 99% sure our town looks at it this way. We are a small town, with NOTHING to do for the kids, seriously, nothing. The library, the park and courts are all right there together. The library is sorta the hangout for the kids (a group of them anyway).

I wish there was more emphasis on BOOKS there, that is not even what my kids go there for - occasionally they snag something. We have some manga on the table right now.... But i guess ours is more of a "community center" with some books on the Youth side of the wall.

But school holidays? It will be packed with kids (you know, because it is cheaper than child care?!?!) and they plan game days and such. I know it is to give the kids someplace to go so they won't get in trouble wandering around, or in the case of the youngers being home alone.

I understand completely, try and be positive though. Don't let it get you down, I'm sure there is some way to express your concerns to someone in some degree of power. It might actually change something if you file a formal complain that for years the library selection hasn't been up to par and now they are buying expensive electronics etc...

Have you looked into it?

I sent the librarian here the idea of having a library amazon wish list to help fill the shelves... she thought it was an awesome idea and was going to do it... i'm still waiting 3+ years later. I had seen the idea on another libraries website and thought it was mega cool.