Menu

What do you do for PreK or K art?

Momof3

I would love to be doing something "official" for art class...but the art curricula I've seen are all sooo expensive!

I've got two in "school" right now (ds4 and dd3). We have "Fine Arts" Friday - with about an hour to devote to music and art activities. I usually just come up with something I've seen online or think the kids would enjoy...making play-doh "pots," finger painting, making a snowman collage, etc. But I do wonder sometimes if they wouldn't benefit from moving thru a series of art lessons, you know, actually learning techniques and stuff.

I consider myself to be creative and moderately 'artistic,' but I never took any real art classes myself, and the curriculum I see (artistic pursuits, atelier, etc.) looks so neat!

Anyone have any thoughts? Do you use a particular curriculum for art? Has it been worth the expense? Do you take a more off-the-cuff approach like me? Anyone know of an inexpensive art approach that covers all of the basics?

I have a set of books by Irene Luxbacher called 1-2-3 I Can Draw! (Starting Art). It can be purchased rather cheaply (used) and other titles include Sculpt, Paint, Collage, Make Prints, Architecture.

But they are wonderful! Step-by-step pictures, elements of art/technique simply discussed, and the projected are super-cute and DO-able. We've been looking through the print one and there are different types of print demonstrated and a cute project to practice.

I also have How To Teach Art to Children, but it's too much for my 4.5 yr. old (as well as my 6.5 yr. old)... but it's also very nicely done. We'll use it in a year or 2.

I also like Art Treasury, which shows a work of art and then teaches a technique to be modeled from it. We'll probably use it next year, along with a how-to-draw animals book.

Currently with my 4.75 & 3.25 dses we do a craft associated with our BFIAR book or a holiday/season craft and we rotate "free art" everyday. This includes tempera painting on the easel, watercolor, fingerpaint, play-doh, and collage, color pencils and ink. I don't give them really any instruction as to what they should be making or doing, just tips on working in whatever "medium". We have done things such as mixing colors, tints and shades, etc.

I plan to start Artistic Pursuits "The Way They See It" for a gentle intro to a more formal program. I don't think it has a lot of step by step and I plan to supplement with Draw, Write, Now.

They will have a solid 2 years of just experimenting with different art supplies before doing anything formal.

We have not done anything like that. But we did learn about Monet and Van Gogh. I got all the books about them I could find at the library, and we watched and read (both) "Linnea in Monet's Garden." Then I got Post cards of their most famous paintings and put them up in the "art corner." My 5 y/o can identify a Monet or a Van Gogh among other pieces even if they have never seen that particular painting before. They are already leap years ahead of my in art study lol.

Oooo, I LOVE those postcards! Thanks for the link. Off to put them ALL on my wishlist! :p

Artistic Pursuits has a preschool program that I'm eyeballing... but I can't see DH being happy for me to spend $40+ on a preschool art program! :blink: Especially since my youngest nearly K.

We've also used The Complete Book of Arts & Crafts:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Arts-Crafts-Grades/dp/0769685579/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

But it is definitely more on the CRAFT side, not art. However, it covers paper crafts that all kids should do at some point, LOL. Weaving paper strips, for instance. You can't NOT ever do that! ;) ;) Marble painting (rolling them around)... fun, but who'd think to do it otherwise?

And lastly, we use a lot of Pinterest ideas.

(We love art. :D)

Artistic Pursuits has a preschool program that I'm eyeballing... but I can't see DH being happy for me to spend $40+ on a preschool art program! :blink: Especially since my youngest nearly K.

My thoughts exactly. :) I am looking for something that teaches art (as opposed to just neat art projects for kids, etc). I love curriculum planning, and I enjoy doing my "own thing" for most subjects...but I'm feeling like I don't know enough abt teaching art to really give my kids a full education on the subject... Like I said, I know they're still very young, but I'd like to start out right. :)

If you can get past the self-righteous tone of this book, Young at Art: Teaching Toddlers Self-Expression, Problem-Solving Skills, and an Appreciation for Art by Susan Striker has good ideas for projects with preschoolers. Another idea book is Encouraging the Artist in Your Child (Even If You Can't Draw) by Sally Warner.

We use and love Artistic Pursuits, but I didn't start it until 1st grade. Until then, we used projects from the Usborne Art Treasury and subscribed to Mark Kistler online Draw Squad. My dc are very artistic and I feel like they benefited a lot from both resources. Even when my ds was 4, his 3D drawing was impressive. I attribute that to Kistler :001_smile: .

I was majoring in art education went I stopped to have kids. I feel very comfortable teaching the girls art and have plenty of ideas BUT I love all those pricy programs. I just don't have the money to spend on them. This is what I have been doing:

1. Pick a artist

2. Get a book or several from the library about this artist or the style they work in.

3. Google artist name & project for kids

4. Create

I also love the Drawing with Children book. I just got it so I haven't read the whole book. Teaches how to draw not artist study and it is a great deal on amazon right now.