Menu

Teaching Textbooks, Opinion Poll

What is your opinion of TT for highschool math?  

1. 1. What is your opinion of TT for highschool math?

• Use it, LOVE it, will keep using it.
    • Use it, Like it okay, may switch.
    • Like it, but there are better programs out there!
    • Haven't used it, but want to try it.
    • Have no desire to use it.
    • Use/used it, hate it!

I won't vote because our experience is very limited. We've only used and are currently using TT's Geometry program. My dd who finished it last year loved it (she was using Saxon Alg. II concurrently). My ds, who is using it this year, likes it as well (he's doing Lial's Intermediate Alg concurrently).

HTH.

We've used Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 & Geometry. We'll be starting Algebra 2 soon.

I wouldn't place my son or myself in the "Super Math Mind" category, so when people say that it's "too easy" or not "rigorous" enough, it doesn't bother me.

Before we did TT, math wasn't really getting done at all. He wasn't very good at it, and I wasn't good enough to really help him . . . so we kind of just "limped" through it while frankly not learning anything.

I think it's a good well rounded program, and I feel we are both learning a lot. We are not rich people and don't have the option to co-op or tutor or anything other than sit at home and learn together, so this is THE most expensive part of our homeschool program, but I feel it is 100% worth it.

I feel like the fact that I'm still homeschooling and my son still loves me is a living breathing testimony to the miraculousness of the program. :D

Guest Katia

We use it and love it. I have two dds who have used Algebra 1 and Geometry, and just the one dd has used Algebra 2 and is using Trig/PreCalc this coming year.

Older dd tested reasonably well on ACT in math, even though she didn't finish either the Algebra 1 or Geometry. It was good enough averaged with her English scores to get her many scholarships in college.

Youngest dd scored in 13+ grade level on her 10th grade Iowa tests last year. She was taking TT Geometry, and we added in Life of Fred Advanced Algebra to keep up her algebra skills so she wouldn't forget anything.

This year, along with the TT Trig/PreCalc she is continuing with LOF series too, as she just likes it and thinks it's "fun".

I have a good friend in Minnesota who's ds took MUS Algebra 1 but they didn't understand MUS Algebra 2 so switched to TT. They LOVED it, and with only having taken TT Algebra 2 and TT Geometry, he got college scholarships and is now a math major. Because of TT!

Yep, we love TT and have good to great test results with it.

DS did Alg 1 and 2 and is currently working on Pre-Calc. (We had Chalkdust Geometry or I would have bought that, too.) DS asked me to purchase the Pre-calc course... he works on math on the weekends and late at night (without my having to use a cattle prod). It's understandable...at least, ds says so--and his SAT scores bear that out.

TT has worked well for us in certain areas. I wanted Chalkdust to increase the rigor for the Algebra series. My kiddos are 6th & 8th and this is our tentative plan:

5th: TT 6

6th: TT 7

7th: Chalkdust Pre-Alg

8th: Chalkdust Alg 1

9th: Chalkdust Alg 2/ TT Geometry

10th: finish TT Geometry/ Chalkdust Pre-Calc

11th: Community College math (Running Start)

I LOVE Math and have gone through Calculus and Statistics on my own just because I like it.

My 14yo was HATING math. I just couldn't get ideas across to him - it was lie a brick wall was between us. I found TT and while he doesn't exactly LOVE math, he is quite happy to do the TT lessons. He has never done any formal math study and is breezing through Math 7. He is being introduced to concepts I TRIED to explain to him and really *getting* it. So for us, it is a huge positive.

Well, I voted "Love it and will keep using it".

Ds-16 has used it for Pre-Algebra, (which he could easily have skipped, but I saw no need at the time to do so) Algebra 1 and Algebra 2, and will be using it this year for Geometry. (He will also be using some of Life of Fred Advanced Algebra to "stay fresh", and then follow Geometry with LoF Trigonometry.) He has always done very well in math, but enjoys being able to move at his own pace.

Dd-14 has also used it for Pre-Algebra, and Algebra 1 and will be using it for Algebra 2 this year (along with LoF Advanced Algebra). She is not quite as strong in math, so she is really enjoying T.T.. She especially appreciates that she can view solutions to every single problem. Her math confidence has soared with this program.

Another facet of T.T. that we enjoy is its' humorous questions and the like--not that we would purchase a curriculum for that reason. It's just a nice little bonus.

Although I know that there are definitely more rigorous programs out there, we are pleased with T.T.--especially with the independence and confidence it fosters.

although that might a bit strong on the emotion scale!!!

As many of you know, my dd has switched math programs about 3 times this year. She tried Lials but the Intro Alg had such LONG lessons. Then she tried TT Alg 1 and dd thought it seemed too easy. So...then, she tried Saxon Alg 1 and after 40+ lessons, it just got too confusing. So now she has humbly decided that TT is what worked best for her.

After a lot of trial and error, TT seems to be the best choice for our family. My kids are not going to be physicists or MIT candidates, so for them it seems to be a palatable choice. My ds is going to be using TT6. He actually did say he LOVED the sample lessons...maybe LOVE is not such a strong word afterall!!!

As for me...my inability to keep using TT was influenced WAY to much by comments on here. I don't do well with teaching upper level math and instead of just sticking it out, I was influenced by the math gurus (whom I appreciate). Everyone needs to keep THEIR kids in mind when choosing curriculum...YOU know your kids best! I have finally settled into this mindset and I have been much more at peace with our homeschool.

Robin :D

First son used algebra 2 but when I put him in public school the following year there were topics on the SOL (standards of learning) test that were not covered in TT. It is a wonderful program and a perfect fit for some learners and that is why my second son will be using it for high school math. I believe that if you use TT for all your high school math all of the topics will eventually be covered.