Menu

Earthquake

Not going well? Isn't the whole point of travel to have an adventure and stories to tell when you get home?

Rhonda's having a grand vacation :D

:auto:

:lol: Rhonda - you are for sure getting more than you bargained for! I'm glad the news made it so big JUST FOR YOU ;)

:lol: Rhonda - you are for sure getting more than you bargained for! I'm glad the news made it so big JUST FOR YOU ;)

Why, thanks Tracey! :tongue_smilie:I wonder what other things SoCal has in store for me. I'll be here until December!

Mudslides, wildfires, tsunamis, sinkholes.....

We were in the 6.8 Nisqually earthquake up here in 2001. That was a roller. I grew up in California, so I'm used to earthquakes, but the ones I was in before were shakers, not rollers.

I was at the library with the kids (ages 3, 7 and 9 at the time). The boys (the older two) were on reading books on a couch by a huge window. DD was sitting on the floor about 7 or 8 feet from me reading a book. We were in the middle of a row of high bookshelves full of books, and I though they were going to all fall out......but they didn't! Someone mentioned how things seem like slow motion. I heard my dd call, "Mommy!" in a frightened voice. I had to drop down and crawl to her. I grabbed her and blocked her from the books or shelves that might fall, but PTL they didn't! I also remember thinking I need to tell the boys to get away from the window. I yelled it, but the sound of the quake was so loud they didn't hear me. PTL the window didn't break either! dd and I kind of "rode the waves" as we were sitting on the floor. It was AMAZING to me to see the floor rolling in waves like that! Later the boys told me they saw the building across the street swaying.

Once it stopped the staff came around, checking to make sure everyone was okay. Then they ushered everyone outside so they could make sure the building was safe. There were kids crying, even a couple of laadies crying. As we're walking out, my ds9 says loudly, with a grin on his face, "That was fun! I wish we could do it again so I could remember it better!" ds7 jumped up and down and said, "Yeah!" and dd copied her 7yo brother. Then she stopped and said, "No, nevermind. I think it would be best if that didn't happen again! (she was very articulate in her speaking) She was remembering that it was scary, and she hadn't liked it after all! What started out as scary because I didn't want my children hurt, ended up being funny because of their reactions! I'm sure others thought we were strange...laughing, when others were crying! :)

I'm glad everyone there is okay! Sorry for the glasses/dishes! But glad noone was injured!

So, being the homeschool family that we are, when we got home we pulled out our CKE Earth and Space book and read the lesson on Earthquakes :D

Blessings,

That's the spirit!

You never want to miss a teaching opportunity :D

:auto:

My kids experienced their first earthquake with my mom, while I was at Blockbuster. Everyone in the Blockbuster store was casual. I started to duck and cover, but no one else did. It shook 10 seconds or so and was pretty loud, but nothing fell down. As soon as it was done, you could see everyone getting out their cell phones to call family. No one was able to get through. I hurried back to my mom's house. Dh is working back home, and I was able to communicate with dh through online chat after I got home.

The kids had no idea what was going on. Grandma told them exactly what to do, and luckily it wasn't a bad earthquake. I'm glad they are still learning about their California heritage even though we have moved out of state. :)

So I read about the quake right after it happened, called my mother to see if she had heard from my brother in CA, and waited until she called me to tell me all was well. I figured the phone lines didn't need both of us clogging it up. :)

However, his Chick fil A is in Upland, outside of LA. Since I don't know the geography and layout of the area, could you tell me how close he was to the motion? He was apparently a bit shaken but all was well. He and his wife have been out there about 2 years and this would be his first.

Why, thanks Tracey! :tongue_smilie:I wonder what other things SoCal has in store for me. I'll be here until December!

Mudslides, wildfires, tsunamis, sinkholes.....

No tsunamis, but the rest, well its a rollercoaster ride.

Jet

The first we heard of it here in OK was when my dh's brother txt him with a message that said there was an earthquake and I'm okay.

It reminds me of when we were in Japan and had a 7.4 quake which broke lots of stuff in our house and when we called the states to let them know we were alive they hadn't heard of it yet. It did hit the papers eventually.

I am glad that it wasn't large in the sense of lives/damage.

However, his Chick fil A is in Upland, outside of LA. Since I don't know the geography and layout of the area, could you tell me how close he was to the motion? He was apparently a bit shaken but all was well. He and his wife have been out there about 2 years and this would be his first.

Not far at all. Upland is 14/15 miles from Chino Hills. I'm about the same distance away but in a different direction and it was strong that close.

I was watching the news and the dealer where we take our car for service sustained some damage and the university only two miles from us closed for the remainder of the day.