Menu

Is Rod & Staff Spelling a year behind?

bttrflyvld

I would say no. Probably people say that because the word lists look easy, but the exercises are not easy. When I started using R&S I really thought about moving my son a year ahead (natural speller) and I am SO glad I didn't! He is in book 5 now and it is the right amount of challenge. My 1st grade son just started book 2 and although the words are very easy for him, I'm surprised how much of a challenge it's been for him to do the exercises and follow the directions correctly.

My boys just started level 4 and I wouldn't move them ahead. They both free read around a sixth grade level but the challenge of this curriculum is just right for them. The word list is read by them easily but the exercises truly require them to pause and consider each lesson.

My advanced student (not advanced in spelling, but advanced in math/reading, probably average in spelling) uses it a semester ahead right now. I will agree that it starts to get hard with the exercises later on. When we started grade 4 in January, it was a big jump! The words aren't horribly difficult (they're the right words he needs to be working on now), but some of the exercises he needs to skip and come back to or even get help from me.

I think it is fine to use it at grade level for an average student. If your student is bored, bump them up a level.

So far, in my son's writing, a lot of the words he regularly uses have been covered in R&S. I've been very happy with the program.

I have one that uses it on grade level. My natural speller (gifted in most things L.A related) does it a year ahead. She started the 4th grade book in 3rd grade. Before that, I didn't need a formal spelling program for her. She complained for 2 years that it was too easy. Really. She hated that the words were so easy to spell, and felt like they were baby words. I just told her to stick with it. I liked the vocab and dictionary work. Finally, she hit the 6th grade book this year, and it has been a shock to her system it has been so challenging. I am wondering how my avg/below avg. speller is going to handle the work load when she gets to that text when she is in 6th grade!

I was told that the first book is a nice gentle intro to spelling but that it increases in difficulty over 3rd and 4th grade. That seemed like a good fit for my younger boy. He's not a natural speller, is very bright, but was intimidated by the idea of having a spelling book. R&S 2 has been great for him. It wasn't really a challenge at the beginning and it took the pressure off. I can see it is getting a bit harder as we go, but he's been fine with it.

I spread each week's lessons over 4 or 5 days and I don't give spelling tests or anything like that. He would get too anxious if I tested him on spelling.

It depends on the kid. I have two using it right at their grade level and it's perfect for them. I have one that uses it a year ahead and it's perfect for him. If your first grader is reading well and reading to move on to spelling, it will be fine. We did chose to use a simpler basic spelling list for my current 7 yods last year and then moved into R&S for second grade and it has worked out fine.