Menu

Favorite non-workbook English curriculum

When my olders were littles (and up until 6th grade) we used BJU Grammar and Writing. I like it enough. It gets the job done consistently, formally, and thoroughly. No one has ever complained.

There is a part of me that wants to get away from all of these workbooks though. I just keep getting bolder and bolder in my old age, huh? lol

Is there something non-workbook style that you love for 2nd-7th/8th grade?

It can be different publishers for different stages.

If so....

Why do you love your non-workbook English choice?

For which grade(s) is it appropriate?

Does it include writing or is that a separate subject?

If so, what do you use for writing?

As always, thanks :)

Edited to say: it can be the sort of book where you write some answers down in a notebook (or on your own paper). That is okay.

I loved Galore Park - it goes all the way through those ages: Junior English followed by So You Really Want to Learn English, followed by English year 9 (for age 13-14).

Why do you love your non-workbook English choice? I love how integrated it is: the chapters have themes, with extracts from excellent literature. The vocabulary work stems from this, as does the spelling. The writing prompts (they are just prompts) tie into the theme too. At the end of the chapter is a 'suggested reading' section that also extends the theme. The courses expect a good level of understanding and analysis but don't overload the pupil with busy work.

For which grade(s) is it appropriate? In US terms, 2nd to 8th

Does it include writing or is that a separate subject? There are writing prompts but no specific instruction. I mostly taught writing myself, although we used LL7 in parallel, which contains some writing instruction.

Laura

We only did formal grammar once with younger dd (Easy Grammar, when she was 10 or 11), and never with older dd (who graduated from college with a BA in English LIt).

Understanding Writing isn't a workbook.

If you understand grammar well yourself, you can do grammar with copywork and dictation, which can also be your composition assignments when they're young.

Is there something non-workbook style that you love for 2nd-7th/8th grade?

It can be different publishers for different stages.

If so....

Why do you love your non-workbook English choice?

For which grade(s) is it appropriate?

Does it include writing or is that a separate subject?

If so, what do you use for writing?

As always, thanks :)

Edited to say: it can be the sort of book where you write some answers down in a notebook (or on your own paper). That is okay.

My LA is spread between WWE and SWR. We also have been using Prima Latina. I have decided not to use a separate grammar program, because I feel that there is enough grammar and mechanics taught in these programs to suffice for a 7yo.

SWR is program designed to teach spelling and reading, but which has lots of enrichments that you can add. It utilizes a log where the student can write his spelling words and sentences composed with those words. It also has reference pages devoted to studying certain spelling and language topics, such as how to add suffixes or Greek/Latin roots. The best thing about SWR for our family is its flexibility to adapt to individual children. There is lots of enrichment opportunities for my dd7, who loves language, but I don't have a script or lesson plan to follow that would make her repeat things that she just gets. I like that I don't have to tweak it much to meet her needs. Conversely, I am also using it to teach reading to ds5. He's a "let's-get-it-done" kind of kid, and I can tailor it just as easily to his needs. I am using the composition portion for ds, but not for dd, who is using WWE for composition. (Ds will probably also use WWE at some point.)

Essentials of the English Language (Classical Conversations). The main teaching is done once a week for 2 hours and then they have assignments at home. I like it because it is meant to be a 3 year program but is the same every year so that they understand more and more of it each year. You can tailor it to their abilities. It is one book to buy, period (cost is $45), but you have to be in the community to purchase one. It has the question answer flow like Shirley but also teaches diagramming. It is very, very thorough. It keeps your 4th-6th graders together and can be trickled down for younger ages as well. They include IEW theme-based books in the class for writing instruction. It has spelling lists, rules, and phonograms in the back, though they are not part of the class (but can be done at home). It also has suggestions for teaching homophones weekly and a list of common prefixes and suffixes. I would say the only thing it leaves out is things like formal outlining, letter writing, and journal writing as well as Greek and Latin roots. However, CC also sells a cheap book called The Dictation Resource Book that has sentences to go with the spelling lists and it contains roots and a basic handbook that shows letter writing and outline format. Most people can teach journal writing without any help, so it can easily be completed with that book.......

Forgot to mention that your kids under 4th grade are watched while you sit in class with your kids so there are less distractions. The down side.....finding spots in a local community and paying the tuition.....(about 450 per student per year I think). However, if you went for one year you could have the guide and then teach it at home yourself the other years......