Menu

What to wear in London/Paris in July?

iquilt

Good morning! Dh and I are planning a week in Paris and London this July, my first trip to Europe ever, and I am hoping for some help in what to pack? My first inclination is of course some comfortable walking shoes but with what? Skirts? Capri? Shorts? Help! We live in a fairly hot location for summers and I spend lots of summer time normally in jean shorts but do not want to wear those. Thanks :)

Ha! I was about to say the same for Paris. It'll probably rain 7 days out of 7. Bring rain boots, umbrella, raincoat. Parisians do not think rain is a reason to stay home. In the chance that it doesn't rain, it won't be baking hot. Summer clothes with a handy jacket should do it. If you don't want to brand yourself as an American tourist avoid tennis shoes (especially white ones) and T-shirts (these are not worn by women there).

Our dd & I went to London/Paris for 2 weeks in late May (2 years ago), and brought 2 short-sleeve, 2 long-sleeve, 1 sweater, 1 fold-up windbreaker, and 2 jeans.

Just dressed in layers, and constantly was adding/removing them.

I brought an umbrella everywhere we went, but never used it!

We each chose to bring only a carry-on, and absolutely did not regret it.

Everyone in London dressed in black. We could quickly identify Americans with their white & patterned clothes.

Even my red windbreaker made it easy for my dd to spot me in the crowd.

Have an absolutely wonderful time.

When I was in London eons ago the last week in June for a week I froze! We went to Paris after that and all was good in the world weather wise :D

But I wore the sweatshirt and ski windshell I had taken with me, and wished for warmer clothes/pants. Then a couple of weeks later we shipped all the "warm" clothes home!

Have a great trip!!!!!

Well for London in July I would pack waterproofs and an umbrella as it basically rains solidly here in July and August. You might get some summer weather but I wouldn't rely on it.

Ha! I was about to say the same for Paris. It'll probably rain 7 days out of 7.

Well, maybe not. We spent 3 weeks in London/Edinburgh/Paris/Loire Valley in July 10 years ago. It drizzled on us a couple of times in France. (yes, in some of our pictures I think I'm wearing the same red windbreaker another poster mentioned!). BUT for the rest of the time, it was the most horrible record-breaking heat I have ever experienced. We were reading in the newspaper about all the elderly in France who were dying from lack of air conditioning as their families left them behind to go on holiday. So...my advice is to check the weather forecast before you go, and be prepared for varying weather!

Our dd & I went to London/Paris for 2 weeks in late May (2 years ago), and brought 2 short-sleeve, 2 long-sleeve, 1 sweater, 1 fold-up windbreaker, and 2 jeans.

Just dressed in layers, and constantly was adding/removing them.

I brought an umbrella everywhere we went, but never used it!

We each chose to bring only a carry-on, and absolutely did not regret it.

I recommend traveling light also. We traveled with our kids and only brought carry-ons. We had to do laundry 3 times. Using the local laundromats was an adventure. Start your laundry, pop over to the pub next door, go back & finish your laundry. :) It was definitely worth taking an hour or so from our touring, to avoid hauling 3 weeks of clothes for 4 people around Europe. I'd do it that way again.

Thank you all so much! I am soooooo excited about this trip and just don't want to under prepare. It's just dh and I for 8 days so I'm trying not to squeeze in everything that I've always wanted to do in this one visit. I'm sure at some point we will return with the kids and try for a whole different type of adventure!

We were in Paris for July, August, and September last year. I mostly wore a couple of knee length khaki skirts and jeans for cooler days. We had a two year old with us so we weren't going to a lot of fancy places. :)

Late July/August was definitely warmer than early July. If you're used to hot weather, I would be sure to pack a couple of cute cardigans or jackets to go over your tops.

Have fun!

Choose a color palette. This is always my advice. You have received great tips so far, but to truly be able to travel light, I think picking out colors for your wardrobe is essential. I almost always do black and white and add a color. Tops and scarves are patterned - most of the rest is solid. Scarves don't take up much room, and neither does jewelry. You can change your look a lot with just these two things. I like doing lots of tops with cardigans that I can mix and match and layer. I would think a t, topped by a cardigan, topped by a waterproof jacket would be sufficient at that time of year. I usually only take one pair of shoes - two at the most. I re-wear bottoms, but not tops. I do a set of tops for each day, laying them in between dry-cleaning bags, folding them in half, and then rolling them up like a cinnamon roll! Then each day I grab one of my rolled up bundles. I always carry on. You can easily do that for your length of trip. I take a carry on suitcase and a tote and put my purse inside the tote and wear my waterproof jacket.

When I was in London eons ago the last week in June for a week I froze! We went to Paris after that and all was good in the world weather wise :D

But I wore the sweatshirt and ski windshell I had taken with me, and wished for warmer clothes/pants. Then a couple of weeks later we shipped all the "warm" clothes home!

Have a great trip!!!!!

I just noticed that you live in shorts in the summer. If you are used to a very hot climate, I would recommend putting a pair of jeans and a fleece into your bag, just in case you find it chilly.

Best wishes

Laura

If you are used to warm temperatures, England will very likely not feel like summer to you. I went many years ago in August and FROZE and bought sweaters while I was there. I also remember trying to light the gas fireplace in our room. Not having warmer clothing was my only regret - it was a great trip.

Have a great trip!