Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week ten

Robin M

I've always wondered if I should read Reading Lolita in Tehran, but, like you, I've never read Lolita either....

It was just okay for me. Nothing great. I read it a few years ago and would probably give it 2 or 3 stars out of 5.

I've also never read Lolita.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet, the Hunger Games Trilogy is on the list. Enjoyable, but mass-marketed fluff none the less, imo. There are some other books on that list that I would also put in that category.

I finished The Undomestic Goddess last night. It was okay. A nice light read. I think it went on too long and yet not enough closure. If that makes sense. This was my first Sophie Kinsella book.

I don't normally read fluffy books like this so this was new for me.

I was on a Sophie Kinsella kick for a while. Eventually I got tired of them, but they were fun while they lasted.

I think they could stand alone, but would probably be best read in order, as there are references to earlier events. I had already watched the TV series, so was familiar with many of the characters and story lines already. ETA: Here's a list on Amazon of the books in order.

Thanks!

I had a sneaking suspicion while I was reading that although it was funny, it would be funnier if I knew some of the back stories.

Thanks so much for the link!

Here's the thing about the list of books for book nerds, it is misleading. You can be a book nerd and not read any of these books. However, if you are a Meta-book nerd, you must read them, it is an obsession. I happen to be a book nerd and a Meta-book nerd.

Meta-books are books about books, books that contain references to books, books that take place in libraries, or even inside books. If the theme has anything remotely to do with subject of books, I must at least give it a try. Of course they may disappoint me. I could decide they are not worth the trouble after a few pages, but that could happen with any book.

ETA: Fan fiction does not usually qualify.

Here's the thing about the list of books for book nerds, it is misleading. You can be a book nerd and not read any of these books. However, if you are a Meta-book nerd, you must read them, it is an obsession. I happen to be a book nerd and a Meta-book nerd.

Meta-books are books about books, books that contain references to books, books that take place in libraries, or even inside books. If the theme has anything remotely to do with subject of books, I must at least give it a try. Of course they may disappoint me. I could decide they are not worth the trouble after a few pages, but that could happen with any book.

Thanks for the definition. I was panicking cause I didn't know what Meta-book meant.

I'm that way also with fiction books about books - if it's about books, takes place in a bookstore, around an ancient manuscript, etc. I'll read it. That way with art as well.

Completed Odd Hours (#4) by Dean Koontz - he saves the day in a tiny California town. Entire story line, the town was fogged in, so it added quite a bit to the tension. Moving on to Tana French's The Likeness

Browsing Pinterest and getting ideas - Where I'd like to be:

091dd821d9450dcd2d9066dc58665919.jpg

I'm that way also with fiction books about books - if it's about books, takes place in a bookstore, around an ancient manuscript, etc. I'll read it. That way with art as well.

Browsing Pinterest and getting ideas - Where I'd like to be:

091dd821d9450dcd2d9066dc58665919.jpg

I include fiction too, but I tend to avoid books by modern authors who try to rewrite or extend the storylines of classic books, especially if they are silly or just don't set the same tone as the original. It irritates me if they fiddle with the story too much. I read March and got very upset with Geraldine Brooks. However, I read Jasper Fordes books about romping through the worlds of books and enjoyed them thoroughly.

Love your book nook. It's dreamy.

I finished 1Q84. Looking forward to discussing it with the rest of you in April.

A friendly FYI ... for those of you who might be uncomfortable with anything above PG-13 movies, the adult content in this book might make you uncomfortable. Please don't take this as a criticism. I realize readers have different comfort levels.

edit: Just re-read this and realized how repetitive it is. Lol! This is why I'm a reader and not a writer. :)

This week I finished #10: Odd and the Frost Giants. I'm noticing that my list is heavy on read-alouds. I need to find more time to read my own books!

So far this year:

1. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey

2. The Great Gatsby

3. The Night Circus

4. A Study in Scarlet

5. The Red Pyramid

6. The Throne of Fire

7. The Perks of Being A Wallflower

8. The Serpent's Shadow

9. D'Aulaire's Norse Myths

10. Odd and the Frost Giants

Dh & I had a nice afternoon of sitting at the coffee shop & reading. Therefore, I finished Assassination Vacation today.

Parts of the book were relatively interesting, but I think the overall narrative suffered because of the author's meandering, jumpy style (along w/ the fact that she often had pretty stringent political asides about "current" politics -- current for the time of the book's writing, i.e., the presidency of George W. Bush -- which, imo, would turn off some readers). I don't necessarily disagree w/ her political viewpoints, but felt that her style was as subtle as a sledgehammer & about as jarring as being hit by one; in my book, she's as extreme & obnoxious in presenting her own views as those on the opposite end of the political spectrum from her. I did learn plenty of obscure/arcane info about the presidencies & assassinations of Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley, but probably not much info that I'll retain or remember for long. Maybe recommended if you're really into obscure presidential history.