Menu

Rome-Obsessed Beginning Reader DS Wants to Study Latin

kellycbr

DS(7.5) is a Level 2 reader, who LOVES history, and his current obsession is with all things Roman. So, his Mum would like to sneak in some grammar, and all those wonderful benefits of learning Latin. We are doing SOTW 1 and have stalled at the Romans to savor the whole experience. Oh, the drama, the swords, the triremes, the perceived gore at he Colliseum. Isn't life great ? :D I thought it would be great to start Latin, however, my DS is all boy, and the reading has just recently clicked. Am I starting this too soon? He will be starting 2nd grade this fall, and I haven't touched grammar with him to date. Any recommendations on a Latin program that might work with this active, all-things-Roman boy?

My girls used Lively Latin last year and loved it, but I know that it would be a lot of work for my 7yo beginning reader. I'd have to read a lot of the material to him, and the writing would probably stifle his interest. But he's not as motivated to learn Latin as your ds, so YMMV.

My girls used Minimus as their first Latin course several years ago, and it's wonderful for sparking a continuing interest in Latin. They did both Minimus and Minimus Secundus and really, really enjoyed it. The story line follows a Roman family living in Britain, and it's an interesting mix of history, Latin and the culture of Roman Britain.

With that said, I'm going to try Song School Latin this year with my 7yo, but if it's too much work and not enough fun, we'll drop it in favor of Minimus.

DS(7.5) is a Level 2 reader, who LOVES history, and his current obsession is with all things Roman. So, his Mum would like to sneak in some grammar, and all those wonderful benefits of learning Latin. We are doing SOTW 1 and have stalled at the Romans to savor the whole experience. Oh, the drama, the swords, the triremes, the perceived gore at he Colliseum. Isn't life great ? :D I thought it would be great to start Latin, however, my DS is all boy, and the reading has just recently clicked. Am I starting this too soon? He will be starting 2nd grade this fall, and I haven't touched grammar with him to date. Any recommendations on a Latin program that might work with this active, all-things-Roman boy?

I am going to vote for Minimus, since he has such a great interest in Roman culture. (You might also like to add in "Classical Kids" by Laurie Carlson, which has all sorts of really neat projects (making sandals, mosaics, paper mache Roman army helmets, etc.) Minimus is the story of a real Roman family, living in Roman Britain where the father is the commander of the fort. This is a real, historical place near Hadrian's Wall and actual tablets have been discovered there -- the birthday party invitation story at the beginning of Minimus is based on a real tablet found there. (The Vindolanda tablets, in case you want to look them up on the Internet.) The stories are engaging and fun.

I like Song Story Latin, but it is more focused on language and vocabulary awareness -- it's lighter on the culture than Minimus is. (It's still good, but it's probably not quite the right fit for your son.)