Menu

Public Speaking??

This is a skill that I know we are lacking. Being homeschooled, there isn't necessarily a group to present to. I have dd9 present her projects to her older siblings, but that isn't the same, plus they think she's adorable, which angers her..lol.

Anyone care to brainstorm with me on how to provide this learning opportunity?

I was thinking perhaps small group, co-op like setting. But I'm not sure. I know we could get a room at the library, and meet there to do the presentations. Truly, I'm not a speaker myself although I did do well in 4th grade competition but after that the school didn't do anything for me, 4-H was only for farm kids.

How can I teach this to dd9, and give her the opportunity to improve and grow her skills? I don't think she's missing anything that the school might be doing, as all my kids lack in this area. I see this as an opportunity to grow. I see so many videos of young teens speaking to rooms full of people,and they are so eloquent. I want to let dd9 have a chance to try this.

Thanks!

Our homeschool support group started a regular opportunity to do this these past two years. They kind of labeled it "Show and Tell" for all ages. Once a month during the school year anyone interested gets together at the library meeting room. Students share pieces they've had memorized or do other sorts of presentations, from kindergarten to high school.

Erica in OR

Our homeschool support group started a regular opportunity to do this these past two years. They kind of labeled it "Show and Tell" for all ages. Once a month during the school year anyone interested gets together at the library meeting room. Students share pieces they've had memorized or do other sorts of presentations, from kindergarten to high school.

Erica in OR

One of our groups does something similar, but they do little "book reports". So kids of any age can stand up and talk about a book they've read in the last month.

I'm not getting your 4H comment. Do you mean in your area the only clubs offered for 4H are for farm kids?

My kids have had tons of public speaking experience through 4H, but I've also made opportunities for them in the local community. The nursing home is a good idea.

I am currently teaching an 8 week public speaking course using some of the ideas from IEW's Speech Boot Camp and some ideas from books I have. We are meeting at one of the familys' homes b/c I can't be bothered with the local co-op drama. I will never teach there again. IEW's program has DVDs and makes it easy to teach. Is it possible you could get a class started? There must be other parents who would be interested in their kids acquiring better speaking skills. The kids in my class admit that they do not enjoy public speaking and are afraid (except for my kids). I'm starting them out slowly with just reading aloud, then reciting poems. This week is their first speech. You can PM me if you want more details.

We do public speaking through 4-H. There is an annual contest at the county level which feed into state and regional levels for older kids. 4-H is NOT just for farm kids. My kids were 4-Hers for 7 years before we ever got into animal projects.

Exactly. If you wanted to, you could even start your own club based solely on public speaking. I've thought about b/c I've got kids who love to do it and would like more opportunities, but are not interested in speech and debate.

4H isn't very big here, the closest club would be a minimum one hour drive one way, that isn't related to animals, a friend tried to start one within the city and couldn't get the numbers, it's only 8 kids, but there was no commitment around here for something like that. \but the comment was about myself growing up, only farm kids were able to participate in 4-H.

I know 4H is for all kinds of things these days, including fun things like paint ball, painting, etc, but I think around here there isn't much else, other than involving large animals, that are within a decent travel time. I just looked at the regional listing, and there is minimal that isn't, and the distance just isn't feasible.

Another vote for 4-H, even if you have to start your own club.

This is not your mother's 4-H. Things that have changed since our parents were 4-Hers.

--There are more specialized clubs. Ours is science driven, has Clover Kids and regular 4-H together, and no animals. Our kids give demos on legos, computer programming, and the science of pancakes. There are also plenty of sewing, woodworking, crocheting, art, baking, and gardening projects.

--4H has become a big communication program. Formerly, one was judged for a beautiful project. This is still true, but now the write-up and presentation are just as important. One answers questions like "What did you learn?" and "What would you do differently next time?" You are docked for points if you are asked a question in a group setting, and you don't repeat the question before answering.

--Annual Communication program is held next month.

--If you start a group, they will come. We found our group by looking online at the County 4H website.

A second vote for IEW's Speech Boot Camp. We haven't used it yet, (dd is only 6), but I have heard it referenced in Pudewa's talks. We plan to use it when dds are older.

---------------------------------------

A poor idea well communicated always gets more traction than a good idea poorly communicated.

See if there is a local toastmasters for kids in your area. Sometimes the library host a toastmaster club.

We had a Toastmasters LEAD a public speaking class for our kids years ago as part of their community service. It was excellent. Don't over look drama. The backyard drama camp that was started here years ago has evolved into a drama camp with around 80 kids each spring, a yearly high school drama competition, and has spurred others on (Cailitin and friends of this board) to start an amazing Shakespeare camp for high schoolers each summer.

Also, Poetry Outloud. We started a homeschool division for the first time this year- good, good, stuff.

Classical Conversations has a 1/2 "presentation" portion each class day- I always include this when I am teaching writing- it's a simple/painless way to intro public speaking.