Menu

Considering College Algebra for dual credit - pros/cons?

I'm looking for ways to add some "advanced measures" and am wondering if it would be a good idea for dd to take College Algebra for dual credit. She is currently a sophomore and finishing Algebra 2. She's had As in Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 (so far), but her real strengths are in writing and humanities. At this point, she's interested in a college major along the lines of apologetics or worldview.

Should we consider College Algebra as a possible dual credit class? I assume we'd need to go to the local cc -- or do you know of another source, such as online? Would that be a tough class for her or the logical next step after Algebra 2? In addition, I'm especially interested to know what colleges think of that as a dual credit class -- favorable or unfavorable? Also, if we did go that route, what other math should she take before graduating?

Our dd also started her dual enrollment sequence with Pre-Cal (the step above College Algebra) she is planning on a STEM major though. My second will do College Algebra at the local uni. followed by Stats b/c those are the only two maths required for non-STEM majors there. They'll transfer easily into the nursing program she is wanting. I think it depends on the child's interests after graduation.

Oh, FWIW, one of my older dd's friends took College Algebra at the same time that my dd was taking her Pre-Cal and they often compared notes. About half the content in the course is very similar. The Pre-Cal class is just a bit faster paced so that they can get to the Trig. things that aren't included in College Algebra.

The state universities around here consider College Algebra to be a math credit for non-STEM majors and an elective credit or no credit for STEM majors. My dd tests into College Algebra but she cannot take it at the university as they consider it remedial and therefore not open to DE students. She plans to take College Algebra at the CC where it is not considered remedial and then transfer the credit back to the university. :tongue_smilie: Her math plan is to take College Algebra and Statistics junior year and Pre-calculus and Survey of Calculus senior year. This will cover all of the math needed for nearly any non-STEM degree.

College algebra would be okay, and she should definitely take all of her algebra-based classes consecutively.

I would strongly recommend statistics as a senior-year course. I think it's an essential gen ed course for mathematical and scientific literacy in today's society. It's hard to know how people are using statistics to lie to you unless you know the basics of statistics in the first place.

My son started with college algebra (algebra 3, intermediate algebra, whatever you want to call it). I thought it might be too easy for him but a good transition. In fact, it was a bit of a challenge. Mostly the pace was was the challenge. Also,ds says that it was very random, everything but the kitchen sink thrown into problems, so he had to get used to a math course that expected him to just be up on everything from the past, instead of having each step introduced gradually. He also had to get used to submitting math online for that teacher, and get used to submitting writing out all his work for his precalc teacher this semester.

In the end, I'm glad he went this route, even though I wasn't sure when we signed up, and I'm pretty sure he could have tested out of it.

Julie

P.S. I've never heard of it being remedial.

All of my boys have done college algebra as dual enrolled students. They moved on to take trigonometry the next semester/year. They have had no problems performing in the class (good math students) and they took it at our 4 year regional university rather than the CC which is in a nearby town. Our state university had no problems granting credit (definitely good to look at the transfer credit sheets of any university your daughter might consider).

For us it was the beginning of the math sequence at university that my sons needed. I also preferred to have them take this as one of the entry into dual enrollment courses because I, frankly, didn't want to teach higher maths. I wanted them to get used to how math was taught at the university level so they wouldn't be surprised when they were freshmen enrolled in calculus.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. :blush: College Algebra credit is always received here as a standard credit (not remedial) but there are no College Algebra class offerings taught by professor at the university. It is only offered as a web based class with tutorial help as needed. So while not being called remedial, it is only offered like a remedial class. DE students cannot take any remedial or web based tutorial classes here. My dd would need a professor anyway. She already struggles with online type classes. Putting math and online together would be a nightmare for her.

I would strongly recommend statistics as a senior-year course. I think it's an essential gen ed course for mathematical and scientific literacy in today's society. It's hard to know how people are using statistics to lie to you unless you know the basics of statistics in the first place.

I was going to chime in with the recommendation to take statistics--especially if the student is leaning toward social science.

For most majors at our STEM university, college algebra is considered a remedial course. If a student places in college algebra, he has to take the course, but it does not count towards the credits necessary for the degree. Only math classes calc1 and up counts towards the degree requirements.

This is not relevant to the OP since her DD wants to major in a humanities subject. Humanities majors receive credit for college algebra.

For most majors at our STEM university, college algebra is considered a remedial course. If a student places in college algebra, he has to take the course, but it does not count towards the credits necessary for the degree. Only math classes calc1 and up counts towards the degree requirements.

This is not relevant to the OP since her DD wants to major in a humanities subject. Humanities majors receive credit for college algebra.

This has been true for my sons as well. In engineering, the first semester the student needs to enroll in Calculus 1. This is also a reason why my boys take college algebra as dual enrolled students - to get it out of the way so that they are ready for calculus 1 as freshmen students. They receive credit, but it isn't credit applied to the degree itself.

Yes, my son is an engineer and Algebra 3 wasn't one of his degree requirements. However, I think that taking it would still give college credits, just not part of his major?

Most humanities probably wouldn't count it as part of their major requirements, either, but it would be part of their "liberal arts" requirements, so meeting a bit of a requirement.

I just meant that I had never heard of it not being given college credit, which is what I thought "remedial" meant - such as algebra 1 in college, which can be taken, but isn't given any credits as an elective or anything.

Julie

Yes, my son is an engineer and Algebra 3 wasn't one of his degree requirements. However, I think that taking it would still give college credits, just not part of his major?

I just meant that I had never heard of it not being given college credit, which is what I thought "remedial" meant - such as algebra 1 in college, which can be taken, but isn't given any credits as an elective or anything.

For some majors, college algebra would NOT count as an elective. The catalog specifically states:

"XYZ major requires a minimum of 129 hours credit. These requirements are in addition to credit received for algebra and trigonometry".

In other words: College algebra and trig do not even give credit as electives.

ETA: I checked for six different STEM majors; every single one of them has this condition.

For some majors, college algebra would NOT count as an elective. The catalog specifically states:

"XYZ major requires a minimum of 129 hours credit. These requirements are in addition to credit received for algebra and trigonometry".

In other words: College algebra and trig do not even give credit as electives.

ETA: I checked for six different STEM majors; every single one of them has this condition.

This is definitely one to check with the university one is considering attending. I just went through the Univ. OK degree checklists for engineering (several types), biochemistry, and chemistry. They all have the same blurb "XYZ requires a minimum of 128 (some up to 133) credit hours" then an asterisk. The asterisk notation said that the degree requires 2 semesters of a foreign language which may be satisfied with 2 consecutive years of high school foreign language of the same language. Then I checked my sons' transcripts. They received credit for both college algebra and trig as lower level math electives.

It's always interesting to me how schools vary so much! So this is just another one for the "check with your university" column.

There would likely be a math placement test she would have to take at the CC, so that would tell you whether or not she is ready for College Algebra. If she tests beyond, it would probably still be a good place to start if it's her first CC course.

I think colleges look favorably on almost any college course taken during high school, but whether or not they accept credit for it would vary widely. It's probably more likely at public schools or private universities. Most LACs start with calculus or statistics, with occasionally a pre-calc option, and maybe some math survey courses for non-majors. I've never actually heard of a LAC offering College Algebra, so I can't imagine they would give college credit for it.

And every state handles this differently.

The state community college I work for does NOT allow college algebra for dual enrollment. They only allow calculus and up. There is some detail in the funding requirements that says that they can't offer college algebra to high school students. It is considered remedial. Same thing with the remedial English classes that come before English 101. You can't take them in high school. If you graduate early, of course then you can take whatever you want!

The state community college I work for does NOT allow college algebra for dual enrollment. They only allow calculus and up. There is some detail in the funding requirements that says that they can't offer college algebra to high school students. It is considered remedial. Same thing with the remedial English classes that come before English 101. You can't take them in high school. If you graduate early, of course then you can take whatever you want!

Is CC free or reduced tuition for dually enrolled students in your state?

Is CC free or reduced tuition for dually enrolled students in your state?

There's no break for homeschooled students. There are some dual enrollment classes at the high school with significantly reduced tuition, but you have to be a full-time student to take advantage of them. The high school allows part-time enrollment, but not for those courses.

There's no break for homeschooled students. There are some dual enrollment classes at the high school with significantly reduced tuition, but you have to be a full-time student to take advantage of them. The high school allows part-time enrollment, but not for those courses.

I was asking in general about CC courses for high schoolers - because, if they were free or reduced, I can see why they would not permit courses to be taken that the students *should* take in regular high school.