Menu

Master Tonic

Denisemomof4

I read about it here sometime ago and I had been meaning to make it for months. I finally did.

:svengo:

HOW DO YOU TAKE IT??!!!

The first time I took it, it really wasn't too bad. I took a tsp. The second day I thought to myself, "What are all those people complaining about? It's really not that bad!" So I took a FULL SHOT GLASS FULL. ON AN EMPTY STOMACH. I nearly passed out, and I'm still shocked I didn't throw it all up! I RIPPED my layers off and ran outside and stood in the snow in a t-shirt, pj bottoms, nothing else. nothing. And - we have men cutting down trees in our woods. It was a very cold day and I'm SURE they though I lost my mind, out there in a t-shirt, munching snow, yelling for dd13 to bring me ICE WATER! How I didn't pass out is beyond me!

So I tried a google search and still don't know how to take it. Every TINY sip gives me hot flashes :lol: but do we take it AFTER eating? It says not to take in water. So how long are we supposed to wait to drink? I'm sipping some slowly right now and would REALLY love to suck on some ice.

Can you tell me how much you take, when, how? Empty stomach (probably not) but you really don't drink ice water afterwards?

I'm almost done with my first bottle. Will I *EVER* get used to it?

:bigear:

I googled it... :eek: :svengo:

I don't think I'm woman enough to try it!

I just googled it, too, and if Denise is using the same recipe I saw... :ack2:

Of course it gets rid of cold and flu viruses... by killing the person who takes it. :scared:

It would seem to me that it's a small consolation to know that you won't get frequent colds or flu when you're already dead, because I'm thinking the whole "dead thing" in general would be enough to prevent colds and flu.

That stuff sounds SCARY!!! :eek:

Of course it gets rid of cold and flu viruses... by killing the person who takes it. :scared:

It would seem to me that it's a small consolation to know that you won't get frequent colds or flu when you're already dead, because I'm thinking the whole "dead thing" in general would be enough to prevent colds and flu.

:lol:

I have heard that mixing with beet kvass is the only way to cut the heat down, and even then its gonna be spicy ;)

I'm serious when I tell you I get a hot flash EVERY time I take it! And I sip small sips, and with each small sip, serious hot flash!!!

ETA: funny you mention beet kvass. I have a window on my Ipod keeping that recipe up. I want to search for a vegan alternative.

It would be great to do them together if it will help with the heat!

And let me just say, if ANYONE wants to make this, just go ahead and strap a collection bucket beneath your nose and wear air tight goggles. You'll be fine if you follow my instructions. :lol:

I was making it for dd13 because I was scared she would end up in the hospital again this flu season. Her naturopath told me to just give her honey with cayenne. That's much easier to get down. She's getting sick tonight so we'll see if it works.

I had to take ds20 to the ER twice recently. What I saw in there was SCARY!!! People throwing up and moaning all over the place, being wheeled in with barf buckets, sore throats so bad people couldn't talk or swallow....... I woke up the next morning, BOTH TIMES, with a sore throat. I was so afraid dd13 would get sick so I started that master tonic. I never got sick! SHE never got sick! But I did give both dd's honey/cayenne and neither minded that at all. I don't need to tell you what they thought about master tonic. Needless to say, I'm the one consuming it all. :unsure:

I looked it up, and it sounds just like the flu tonic I make. Thankfully, I didn't need to make any this year. It is rather... potent. Seems to work, though. If anything, it will certainly clear out any congestion.

did you ever get it down one of your kids? I'm worried about dd13 as she's finally showing signs of sickness - first time since July. I'd really like her to take it (no beet kvass here, and she hates beets anyway) but definitely can't force something like that on ANYONE, not even dh!

did you ever get it down one of your kids? I'm worried about dd13 as she's finally showing signs of sickness - first time since July. I'd really like her to take it (no beet kvass here, and she hates beets anyway) but definitely can't force something like that on ANYONE, not even dh!

Oh sure, I gave it to dd when she was three, during last year's cold and flu season. She's a little, um, off though, lol. She adores anything spicy. I took a dose and was running around the kitchen gasping and leaving a slime trail. She took it and giggled. I think her eyes may have widened a bit.

I find that I have a much harder time getting it into husbands than children. ;)

I don't think my recipe has the onion, though. That sounds... blechy. And I'm pretty sure I mixed mine with raw honey. If your dd won't take it, maybe try making it without the onion and see if it tastes a bit better?

Oh sure, I gave it to dd when she was three, during last year's cold and flu season. She's a little, um, off though, lol. She adores anything spicy. I took a dose and was running around the kitchen gasping and leaving a slime trail. She took it and giggled. I think her eyes may have widened a bit.

I find that I have a much harder time getting it into husbands than children. ;)

I don't think my recipe has the onion, though. That sounds... blechy. And I'm pretty sure I mixed mine with raw honey. If your dd won't take it, maybe try making it without the onion and see if it tastes a bit better?

Dd9 loves spice, but she is NOT a Master Tonic lover. :lol:

I honestly don't think the onion can make a difference. This stuff is ............. something else!!!

:scared: Anything that requires wearing gloves to protect your skin from the spiciness while making it is too hot.

We make a "sick tea" of steeped fresh garlic and ginger, with a little lemon juice and honey added at the end, that I thought was pretty bad. Next time I drink some I'll try to remind myself of how much worse it could be!

:scared: Anything that requires wearing gloves to protect your skin from the spiciness while making it is too hot.

We make a "sick tea" of steeped fresh garlic and ginger, with a little lemon juice and honey added at the end, that I thought was pretty bad. Next time I drink some I'll try to remind myself of how much worse it could be!

we make that tea, too, and we actually enjoy it. Master Tonic will NEVER be something to be enjoyed. :lol:

Dd9 loves spice, but she is NOT a Master Tonic lover. :lol:

I honestly don't think the onion can make a difference. This stuff is ............. something else!!!

:lol: Yup, it's definitely... invigorating. I think mixing in the raw honey did help though.

And remember, we're all Norwegian-American Minnesotans at my house. We grew up eating gelatinous fish soaked in lye on holidays. Next to that, the master tonic is downright pleasant. Something one could use to happily wash away the taste of the lutefisk. ;)

we make that tea, too, and we actually enjoy it. Master Tonic will NEVER be something to be enjoyed. :lol:

Ha! I keep telling dh I think it would make a good soup base for a Thai style broth soup. Just add a little coconut water and a bit of veggies, maybe some chicken...I just don't like it as a tea. :o

DH gets it down without blinking. I have to have a glass of milk handy and even then I'm gagging and stomping my feet. :crying: 12 year old ds just drinks it down. It made dd17 throw up. The other 3 won't try it. I have to say though, as awful as it is, as soon as I feel that little 'niggle' that something is coming on, I take MT and I've only been sick once in the last 3 years. I'm willing to try it again just because of that.

:lol: Yup, it's definitely... invigorating. I think mixing in the raw honey did help though.

And remember, we're all Norwegian-American Minnesotans at my house. We grew up eating gelatinous fish soaked in lye on holidays. Next to that, the master tonic is downright pleasant. Something one could use to happily wash away the taste of the lutefisk. ;)

I'm going to try that next time. MT is not for the faint of heart.