Menu

9th grade science sugg. that doesn't need math

Are there any favorite science programs that my son wouldn't need to already have algebra 1? We'll be taking Alg in 10th, so I am planning on doing biology that year. I was wondering about an earth science, physical science..or even if conceptual physics would be okay (not sure on math for that last one).

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Alison

Conceptual physics has some algebra - but usually all of the math is explained in the text. It may slow you down a bit - or you could just show some examples to him and then move on (making it even more conceptual).

Biology can have math, but not much. My son used Miller-Levine last year and I don't remember any math being an issue for him. You may want to consider that for 9th.

Conceptual Physics doesn't require anything beyond prealgebra (at least it hasn't so far and we're in chapter 24). If you have an equation like area = (pi)(r^2), the student should be able to tell that if you double the radius, you square the area and if you triple the radius, you multiply the area by 9. The math in Hewitt's book doesn't really go much beyond this. There are equations to plug numbers into, but since you have all but one of the values, you can plug all your numbers in and then solve for the variable. That's prealgebra.

Thanks everyone, I'll check out conceptual physics and go ahead and look at biology. I'm trying to balance out our 9th grade year with some lighter courses and heavier courses. Math has always been a struggle for this one and due to several long road blocks, we will be starting MUS's pre-alg course around Sept. or Oct this fall. Hopefully everything will go smoothly with that. I just didn't want a science that was math heavy. I'd read that more modern biology texts tend to use quite a bit of math.

Any suggestions for a biology course, earth science, physical science, or physics?

Thank you.

Alison

If you are just getting ready to start prealgebra, then I would recommend earth science first. After that, do conceptual physics (at the same time as algebra I) and then conceptual chemistry. Biology works nicely after chemistry. Conceptual chemistry seems to have quite a bit of biochem material in it, so it would lead in to biology nicely.

I have heard good things about Oak Meadow's Environmental Science. I haven't used it myself because we covered that topic pretty thoroughly in middle school and my dd was tired of it.