Menu

After IEW SWI A..?

I am using IEW SWI A for my 6th grader, yes I realize it is for students in grades 3-5..however he had no previous formal writing instruction..It hasn't been easy..writing is one of the areas I am weakest at instructionally wise... and is one of his areas of weakness as well.. It has been a great course for both of us..

For 7th grade.....

Question.. So next step is..??

SWI Continuation A?

SWI B?

or something else ??

The IEW progression would be for him to go into SICC-A, or you could do a level a or b theme writing like medieval history or following narnia etc.

ETA: once you've done one SWI you don't do any others, the 3 levels of those are just to help make the reading level of what they are covering more on par with their grade/age.

The IEW progression would be for him to go into SICC-A, or you could do a level a or b theme writing like medieval history or following narnia etc.

ETA: once you've done one SWI you don't do any others, the 3 levels of those are just to help make the reading level of what they are covering more on par with their grade/age.

I thought that SWI-A didn't actually cover all of the levels and you had to at least do SWI-B to finish out what was missing.

Is that not true? I'm trying to figure out where to go once we're done with SWI-A too. :)

My concern with SICCA or B is it's "Christian Content" not that I mind religious texts.. however I tend to want secular ones...how Christian is it?? Is it more of just reading Biblical stories or does it get preachy?

If I can jump to a theme unit.. that would be great.. and he loves Narnia.. so that might be worth a look (yes.. I know Narnia has a Christian theme.. but it's not preachy.. ;) )

I didn't use all of SICC B but the "christian content" was basically just the source texts used in some of the beginning things. Which you could easily swap out for something else. The two in SICC B I encountered were little biographical paragraphs on two men that helped start a church or something like that.

To the one that asked about SWI A not doing it all, that's true, but the other units are covered in SICCA not SWI B. SWI B covers the same units as SWI A but uses source texts with a slightly higher reading level so that kids in 6-8 don't feel it's babyish.

I'm leading a co-op class that if finishing up SWI-A this year, and we have decided on the theme book, US History Vol. 1. It covers all nine units, and includes several techniques SWI-A doesn't cover. It has more than one level of checklists, so you can tailor the assignments to meet your child's abilities.