Menu

Confessions of a terrible homeschooling mother

Right now I feel crappy. I think I've screwed up royally when it comes to math with ds11. We started out, way back, with Saxon 1 when he was in kindergarten. Stopped using Saxon in 4th grade, and since then we've tried Teaching Textbooks, Math Mammoth, Life of Fred, and too much unschooling (for us. I have nothing against unschooling... it just doesn't work for us).

The end result of this is that he's on about a 5th grade level, while "technically" in the 6th grade.

I asked him last night if the math we're doing, LOF and some Zaccaro, is enough. He said he doesn't think it is, and that he could do more.

I have Saxon 6/5 on hand, and the Math Mammoth Blue series. We are both willing to work harder at this to "catch him up". I may move him back into Teaching Textbooks in the fall, or stick with Saxon, or higher level LOF or ???

What would you recommend? He's bright, learns easily, and likes math. I want him to be able to do the whole algebra-geometry-algebra 2 sequence by the end of 11th grade, so I need to start fixing this now. I am feeling really ashamed that I allowed him to get behind this way.

I'm so sorry to hear about your frustrations. It's such a huge responsibility, isn't it?

I have never laid eyes on Saxon, so I can't speak to this, but I do have a couple of thoughts: One, I don't think LOF is enough, on its own, for most kids for 5th grade math (fractions & decimals). I know my dd learned so much from the books, but they didn't provide enough practice on their own to master fractions. They are excellent for review, extension, and application of the concepts once they are solid, but I wouldn't use them for the primary math program for a 5th grade/6th grade student.

Second, I think MM is *excellent* for catching a student up. This is what we did last year, with MM4. It is so incremental, and so thorough, that you can really use it step by step to fill in all the holes, and then once they've got something down, it's easy to accelerate by doing fewer problems per lesson. We slogged through every page of MM4 last year, and I even backed up into Level 2 & 3 worksheets for stuff like Mental Math that she struggled with, but it was worth it - we're now accelerating through MM5, because the foundation is now rock solid.

I also think Zaccaro is *great* for problem-solving, extension, and practice once the concepts are down solid, but I wouldn't be able to teach from it as the primary book, and I know dd would just get frustrated if I tried. She just did the Fractions problems today, after completing the two MM5 Fractions chapters, and LOF Fractions, and they were tough! She had to slog through them, persevered, and felt like a problem solving genius by the end, but it took an hour to do 10 problems. This is definitely extra/supplemental for us, it would be frustrating if every day went like that.

So, if I were in your shoes, I would focus on backing up, and methodically, incrementally filling in holes using MM. Use the Blue since that's what you have, use the free worksheets from Maria's site, use whatever it takes to methodically catch him up. Focus on that for awhile, putting the supplements aside until you both feel confident that he's moving forward on track (or save them for a once a week "fun math" day).

Don't worry, it's not too late. The fact that he's ready and willing to work on it pretty much garuntees that he will succeed!! Use the next year or two to solidify all of his arithmetic & prealgebra knowledge. If you don't start Algebra till 9th grade, you will still make it through your Alg1-Geometry-Alg2 sequence by 11th grade. It will be ok. :grouphug:

Maybe my 6th grader's math story will reassure you.

This year (6th) is my son's first year at home. Like your son, he is bright and learns easily. But thanks to two problematic years of math education (4th and 5th grade...two different private schools...long story...), by the end of 5th grade he was alarmingly behind. Based on his temperament and abilities, there was no reason for him to be behind except for his prior studies. He should be able to take algebra in 8th grade.

And now, finally, he is on track to do so. At this point he just needs to catch up in word problems. I started to write out exactly what we have done, but it was turning into a book. Briefly, we started MM5 in August and by January I had him in MM6. We are also using A LOT of supplements, Mom at the whiteboard being the most important one of all :) It is almost unbelievable to me, but AoPS has actually become one of our supplements. I am happy to share more details, or you can PM me.

From your post, it sounds like both of you are willing and able to catch up, and I think that you will be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: I didn't see Rose's post until after I made mine, but I agree with everything she said about MM.

I would use MathMammoth, and/or Chalkdust Basic (covers everything one should know through grade 6 with DVD and human back-up if needed), and/or Steck-Vaughn materials (has things on grade level and also for studying for GEDs which have seemed well done to me), and/or GreatCourses basic mathematics (no on replied when I asked about it, so I gave it a try and was very impressed by clarity and to the point presentation), and/or Humongous's basic math (not really for those who like math, but has a lot in one volume at a good price--probably this would be a good supplement, not a main program though) to get through to pre-algebra/algebra level. Take it one step at a time doing whatever he does not know thoroughly, accelerating through whatever he does know. Work a little longer on it daily than he has been doing, and/or through the summer. I'd also consider looking at Khanacademy if there are points that seem stuck or need another approach.

I would not use LOF, Zacarro, or TT for catch up purposes, personally, and Saxon was not a good fit for us, so cannot speak to that as catch up system, but to me it seems like it is hard to accelerate.

What would you recommend? He's bright, learns easily, and likes math. I want him to be able to do the whole algebra-geometry-algebra 2 sequence by the end of 11th grade, so I need to start fixing this now. I am feeling really ashamed that I allowed him to get behind this way.

Really, you are in a great position here, because he is not terribly behind and, apparently, he has a GREAT attitude. MM is tailor made for this kind of situation! Honestly, I am not brave enough for the "better late than early" philosophy, but I do believe it. Your DS can be caught up in no time at all. :grouphug:

I would pick one and start cranking - 6 days a week year round. It'll be like brushing his teeth. I might do two lessons a day if he can handle it and slow as needed.

I would look at CLE. It's solid (from what I've heard) and student focused. There are quizzes every lessons, and 10 tests (1 per book-10 books a grade). I would save all gravy conceptual stuff for when you're back on track.

Whatever you chose - use it - every single day - and you'll be caught up in no time.

Than you all - I am feeling much better now.

I'm going to sit down with both the Saxon 6/5 and the Math Mammoth Blue books that would match up with MM 5. I figure if we can crank out some good work this spring, and maybe into summer, he'll be in a better position by fall. Looking at Maria Miller's site, if I can get him through MM 5 and 6 by eighth grade, he could go straight into pre-algebra, am I correct in this? That means at that point he'd be caught up to where I need him to be, or, if he goes with Saxon, we could go through 6/5, then 7/6, then 8/7 OR Algebra 1/2?

Either way, I am feeling reassured that he is not that far behind, just a little, and we can catch back up. Personally, I would pick the MM route, but I would like his feedback as well.

Than you all - I am feeling much better now.

I'm going to sit down with both the Saxon 6/5 and the Math Mammoth Blue books that would match up with MM 5. I figure if we can crank out some good work this spring, and maybe into summer, he'll be in a better position by fall. Looking at Maria Miller's site, if I can get him through MM 5 and 6 by eighth grade, he could go straight into pre-algebra, am I correct in this? That means at that point he'd be caught up to where I need him to be, or, if he goes with Saxon, we could go through 6/5, then 7/6, then 8/7 OR Algebra 1/2?

Either way, I am feeling reassured that he is not that far behind, just a little, and we can catch back up. Personally, I would pick the MM route, but I would like his feedback as well.

If you like Saxon, you could test him through Saxon 6/5 until he starts to get less than 80% on a test. Then you go back 8 lessons and start there. Also, assuming he does well in 8/7, you can skip Algebra 1/2 entirely and go straight to algebra.

Beth

Feeling so much better today! Thank you all so much for the reassurance. He loved Saxon yesterday, so I think we're good to go! I told him he can use Saxon 7/6 next, or Teaching Textbooks (whichever he tests into, probably 7), but he can make that decision later.

Anyhow, I really do appreciate all the kind words!