Menu

Birthday Money

Ruby Rose

I am in the process of downsizing everything in our life, which includes the rooms full of kids toys and stuff. Birthday season is rolling around which means the kids will be getting MORE STUFF. I'm dreading it! It will be bag loads of $10-$20 gifts that will end up in heaps with other toys by the next week.

My DD really wants a Kindle Fire for her birthday. I really don't mind buying that for her, but I thought it would be awesome if we could come up with a way to request cash vs toys to help her make this purchase on her own. Yes, I know Miss. Manners would frown, but ...

I was trying to come up with a clever way to say it like:

A Stuff the Pig Party (Piggy Bank)

Money Tree

Fill the Nest with Eggs (like put money in plastic eggs with a note) ???

I don't plan to say NO gifts. I was just going to say something about her having some big items on her wish list and if they would like to contribute to that she would be thrilled.

What says the Hive?

While I think it's fine to do a "no gifts" party, I just can't think of a tactful way to ask for money in lieu of gifts.

Close relatives (grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc.) might be okay with this request if you have that kind of relationship with them, but to ask anyone else for money in lieu of gifts would not be ok IMO.

While I think it's fine to do a "no gifts" party, I just can't think of a tactful way to ask for money in lieu of gifts.

Close relatives (grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc.) might be okay with this request if you have that kind of relationship with them, but to ask anyone else for money in lieu of gifts would not be ok IMO.

Ditto. Have a no gifts party and tell grandma to send cash. ;)

I often get asked what DC want for Christmas birthdays. IF ASKED, I'd say, "DD's been saving up for a Kindle Fire, so she'd appreciate any help with that." or something along those lines. My parents and I are very close, so I'd be okay saying "If anyone asks you if you know what DD would like, you can tell them she's trying to save up for a Kindle." But I probably wouldn't come out and say it to anyone else.

I often get asked what DC want for Christmas birthdays. IF ASKED, I'd say, "DD's been saving up for a Kindle Fire, so she'd appreciate any help with that." or something along those lines. My parents and I are very close, so I'd be okay saying "If anyone asks you if you know what DD would like, you can tell them she's trying to save up for a Kindle." But I probably wouldn't come out and say it to anyone else.

This is most likely what I'll do. Maybe by then I'll have a better handle on the toy situation.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

You have to wait until someone asks, "What would she like for her birthday?" And then you say, "Well, actually, now that you ask, she saving her pennies for a Kindle Fire. If you want to give cash, I think she'd be pretty thrilled."

I love it when a kid wants money. Soooooo easy to shop for!