Menu

how do you play Go Fish?

HappyLady

Apparently at some point in my life I learned incorrectly and have been playing incorrectly with my DD. :) I play that you try to make 2 matches. My DH was playing with our DD and he said something about getting 4 of a kind and I was very confused so he pulled out the rules. I barely understood them, and this is a kid's game??

So, someone explain to me how you play this game because apparently I have no clue. :)

We play that you have to make a set of 4. And if there are more than 2 players you must choose the person you're going to ask. You can just say, "Anybody have any 9's?" You have to say, "Mom, do you have any 9's?" The person asked must give up all the cards of that number. Then the player gets to go again. When someone runs out of cards the game is over and whoever has the most sets wins.

We play that you take turns asking the other player if they have such and such card, if they do, they give it to you and you have a match. If they don't, you draw a card.

Trying to match 2, not collect all four

Well I'm glad someone out there plays like I do because I was feeling really foolish for awhile. LOL

We play that you have to make a set of 4. And if there are more than 2 players you must choose the person you're going to ask. You can just say, "Anybody have any 9's?" You have to say, "Mom, do you have any 9's?" The person asked must give up all the cards of that number. Then the player gets to go again. When someone runs out of cards the game is over and whoever has the most sets wins.

I think that's what the rules that came with the game say. How have I gone 38 years without knowing this was the official way of playing?? :)

We play that you take turns asking the other player if they have such and such card, if they do, they give it to you and you have a match. If they don't, you draw a card.

Trying to match 2, not collect all four

That is how we play. How I have played all of my life and how I taught my kids. If the person you asked has the card you get to go again. If not, you "go fish".

To make things more complicated.... when the kids were little, we played where a "set" was two cards. When they got bigger, we started playing where you had to get four cards to make a "set".

We did just two cards when they were little because their hands were small and putting down the set in your pile every two cards meant that there were fewer cards they had to try to hold in their hands.

Ha! To be honest, I don't remember all the rules! I do know we always needed to get 4 of a kind. But I thought we could ask "anyone have any 9s?" And I don't remember getting to go again if you got what you wanted. Maybe if you got all 4 and you put them down. Shoot, what other important things from my youth have I forgotten?

To make things more complicated.... when the kids were little, we played where a "set" was two cards. When they got bigger, we started playing where you had to get four cards to make a "set".

We did just two cards when they were little because their hands were small and putting down the set in your pile every two cards meant that there were fewer cards they had to try to hold in their hands.

This is how we always played too. I learned both ways, and prefer to play for 2, not 4.