Menu

Sweaty hands, smooth pencil, sensory issue

Well the title says it all. My son has some sensory issues and he says his pencil feels wet because it's smooth. He does have warm, sweat prone hands. I don't know what to do. It's driving me nuts that he needs to stop and wash his hands every two minutes to help the sweaty, smooth, wet feeling.

Are there any special pencils? Maybe some gymnastics hand chalk? Help!

Oh, pencil grips, I had forgotten about those. We live abroad and many of these wonderful little gadgets are practically impossible to find. My kids were in complete awe when my husband brought back some erasers that fit on top of the pencil when he went to a conference.

I need to find someone traveling to the US this summer.

I know that logical thinking tells us to use pencils when our kids are younger but when I was teaching in the schools I worked with a first grade teacher that insisted on using felt tip black markers for writing practice. Not the crayola coloring markers but adult type felt tips.

It was amazing how much easier of a time the kids had practicing their writing with this pen than with a pencil.

I did this with my own kids and they thought it was very special too. It worked great and they don't have to hold it so tight and apply so much pressure to get a result.

Christina, thanks. That's very generous of you. I am going downtown tomorrow so I will look around there first.

I think the felt tip pen idea wouldn't work for my son. He really needs to be able to erase his mistakes for math and spelling.

If only they had moss covered pencils...

The craft stores sell sticky-backed felt in lots of different colors.

Just cut a piece & peel off the back & put it on the pencil.

Our sharpener isn't wide enough to sharpen with felt on, so we have to peel it off, sharpen & replace w/ new felt. WORKS GREAT!!

http://www.southpawenterprises.com

I don't know whether or not they ship internationally, but I did see that they have a pencil and grip sampler (#4015) if you think something like this might help.

I remember my 1st grade teacher used to go around the classroom checking on our pencil grips. She'd try to sneak up on us and pull the pencil out of our hands by grabbing the eraser end. She told us if she couldn't get the pencil out of our hands then we were holding it too tightly. Luckily I have really good peripheral vision and good hearing so she couldn't surprise me...I know that I usually had a death grip on my pencil because I'd get sweaty hands a lot, too, and there was a big bump on my middle finger where the pencil rested!

My dd is like this, too. I did try a variety of grips with her, but switching to a mechanical pencil has helped more. Like another poster suggested, I've also let her do some of her work with "skinny" markers.

Well the title says it all. My son has some sensory issues and he says his pencil feels wet because it's smooth. He does have warm, sweat prone hands. I don't know what to do. It's driving me nuts that he needs to stop and wash his hands every two minutes to help the sweaty, smooth, wet feeling.

Are there any special pencils? Maybe some gymnastics hand chalk? Help!

Laura

I believe if you could find these you would not the issue you describe. These are Ticonderoga brand, the model is TRI-CONDEROGA. They are all black and the triangular shape. I know there is also a preschool model which is primary colored and very slick like a typical pencil. However, these all black ones are not slick and they are for some reason more comfortable to hold. DD says they are softer I don't know. I bought these at Office Depot, which has about 50 + brand and models of pencils.

If I were you I'd try wrapping the pencil in fabric before running to Office Depot though.