Menu

Standing Workstation - anyone have one??

PrincessMommy

For about 6months I've been considering getting a standing workstation to replace my tradition computer desk. The reasons are two-fold. I want to replace this big desk with something smaller anyway (and more portable). I feel like I sit far too long all day. I think it would help me to bounce around from computering, weaving stuff, reading and then regular mommy & housewifely stuff rather than just sitting and more sitting.

Anyone switched or know someone who switched?

I've sometimes put my laptop on top of a dresser in our "office" instead of using it on the couch, to try out the standing desk idea without actually buying anything. I do like it, and it helps my back not hurt like it would if I sit so much. I'm less likely to get sucked into the internet time-vortex, but it's plenty comfortable if I want to spend some time. Sometimes I'll do plies or leg-lifts while I read something online, to get a little exercise at the same time. It's not super comfortable for longer typing, but for just browsing/reading or a quick email I really like it. The days dh works from home, sometimes he takes my spot. :boxing_smiley:

I've sometimes put my laptop on top of a dresser in our "office" instead of using it on the couch, to try out the standing desk idea without actually buying anything. I do like it, and it helps my back not hurt like it would if I sit so much. I'm less likely to get sucked into the internet time-vortex, but it's plenty comfortable if I want to spend some time. Sometimes I'll do plies or leg-lifts while I read something online, to get a little exercise at the same time. It's not super comfortable for longer typing, but for just browsing/reading or a quick email I really like it. The days dh works from home, sometimes he takes my spot. :boxing_smiley:

Interesting. I would like my computer face-time to be shortened. I forgot to add that I have had problems with my neck and it's has been irritated by slouching while computing. ;) I've tried to put my screen up high on my desk and remind myself to sit up straight as often as possible. But, still my neck and shoulders sometimes will bother me for weeks.

Interesting. I would like my computer face-time to be shortened. I forgot to add that I have had problems with my neck and it's has been irritated by slouching while computing. ;) I've tried to put my screen up high on my desk and remind myself to sit up straight as often as possible. But, still my neck and shoulders sometimes will bother me for weeks.

For me it's lower-back issues, and I'm certain it's caused by too many minutes on the couch. Standing definitely helps. And when I'm standing, I'm much more likely to walk away for a minute to deal with something, but sitting it sometimes seems like too much trouble to set the laptop to the side & get up. So it's good for my house & family too. If we ever re-furniture I will definitely look into getting an actual standing desk, because the "experiment" has taught me a lot.

Hi Debbi, I've had this thought for a couple of years now and haven't acted upon it. I've mentioned it to a few people and most recently just a few days ago.........for the same reasons you mentioned. I know when I worked in a department store; the counters would be a good height - I think. Maybe a bit taller? Will be checking in on this one....

We cobbled together a laptop shelf for my treadmill. Works great (wish I could say the same for the treadmill itself, which I fear is now on its last legs). Bonus use: the cat hangs out there when I'm not using it. :) I am a technical writer/editor, and I found it surprisingly easy to read, type, etc., while walking on the treadmill. There's lots of stuff on google!

Since I typically spend more time sewing than computing - I have a standing sewing station for a couple years now and I love it. I sometimes keep my laptop there too as well, but I often use it for watching movies and that I don't enjoy standing up. But I really love the standing sewing station.

I have a standing spot for my laptop on a counter-height occasional table in our kitchen. Sometimes I put it even higher, on one of those bed trays on top of the tall table. It didn't cost me anything because we already had the components. I move the laptop around a lot throughout the day, though, so I don't always use it. I can't sit too much or I have pain and stiffness.

I have a standing spot for my laptop on a counter-height occasional table in our kitchen. Sometimes I put it even higher, on one of those bed trays on top of the tall table. It didn't cost me anything because we already had the components. I move the laptop around a lot throughout the day, though, so I don't always use it. I can't sit too much or I have pain and stiffness.

My "workstation" is my kitchen island. I can use a stool or stand.

I used to work from one (home, not a full time job). I loved it! I currently share my desk with kids, but may return to one in the future. I also used a vertical file rack back then. I did a good job of keeping the desktop clear with the standing desk. I also felt more energetic. An acquaintance has one in his office, but also has a small conference table for meetings and projects that need temporary spread-out space.

DH uses one. He switched 2 years ago, and it solved his back pain.

Funny, he just told me last night that he had a dream that he was evangelizing standing desks! This from someone who never talks about his dreams... Really strange to see this post today. :)

I love mine! I spend less time online and have lost weight by reducing my sitting time. I do not have pain but I do get stiff when I sit too long and this has helped that a lot.

What does yours look like?

I've put together a temporary standing station as I didn't want to spend the money and figure out I didn't like it. I'd like to know what you (and others) use. can you put it down lower if you want (and is it easy??).

Mine is a bit too high (using a kiddy table on top of my desk) with my keyboard too low. But, what I'm really finding is that my feet hurt. I'm going to have to get a gel mat if I actually do this long-term.