Menu

Supplement for Math Mammoth?

alisha

I think I've decided on Math Mammoth 1 for 1st grade next year (of course, that all depends on how it ends up working). But I'm wondering what would be a good supplement for it, for the primary reason of variety. Any suggestions? I've looked at parts of Singapore, but doing the text or workbooks seem like too much. Thoughts on how to supplement with Singapore?

If I were supplementing MM1 to spice things up, I'd go after a different angle - consider Miquon. Also, perhaps the Right Start games for math facts. One of the great advantages of MM is its flexibility - take advantage of that (use what you need, skip what you covered elsewhere).

I would supplement with something fun- like Family math, or math games, or math and movement (beanbag skip counting, math facts, etc). We use Math Mammoth starting in 3rd grade and supplement with Life of Fred. For my upcoming 1st grader we will use a Waldorf program for math, which incorporates lots of movement.

I used Singapore's Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems books with Math Mammoth. We didn't do every problem, and we didn't try to line them up. You have to go a bit behind in Singapore because of scope and sequence differences.

Doing those workbooks on occasion did help break things up a bit and make MM more palatable.

Also, we didn't do all the problems in MM... just 1/2 (or less) most of the time. It's ok to skip problems completely OR skip problems and come back to them later for more practice - whichever one your child needs.

I would supplement with something fun- like Family math, or math games, or math and movement (beanbag skip counting, math facts, etc). We use Math Mammoth starting in 3rd grade and supplement with Life of Fred. For my upcoming 1st grader we will use a Waldorf program for math, which incorporates lots of movement.

:iagree: