Menu

This is the week I started DOUBTING I can do this...

rebereid

It was just an awful week in terms of school. Three different Valentine's day get-togethers with different friends. More than 50 valentines to color. And a cranky kid who just wanted to play and whine about every little thing I asked him to do from collecting the laundry to clearing the table, not even to get started on SCHOOL. And the bottom line is we got NO school work done at home all week.

My five year old is very advanced so I don't know what I'm so stressed. He can read. He usually likes to do math. He can tell you all about the ear (which is what he learned about in his enrichment co-op science class this week). He DID put his face in the water at homeschool P.E. on Tuesday. There is progress over last week, I suppose.

But I have nothing to show in terms of mother-directed schooling this week. Nothing that I can see. I know it all is okay in the long run, but I still just feel it was a wasted week...This is the week I felt for the first time that I really WANT to just send him out the door to public school and take a deep breath in the peace and quiet of my home (ha! with my baby that won't happen, but maybe it will be a little quieter!).

Any one else getting a little bit of February burn out? Anyone with a KINDERGARTNER? If it's this hard this year, what will I do NEXT year?!

Rebecca

Any one else getting a little bit of February burn out? Anyone with a KINDERGARTNER? If it's this hard this year, what will I do NEXT year?!

Welcome to homeschooling in February. You are doing a great job.

The first year is tough because you are so worried about doing it right.

Next year will be better because you will realize that having weeks like this is normal and okay.

Your kids are learning, even when you aren't directly directing it.

Oh, and it's okay if all those Valentines aren't colored by hand.

I have my kids draw *one* good picture each, scan it, and then print as many copies as we need.

Mandy, Thank you for that! We lived in Australia when my ds was born, so your comment just hit the right spot for me -- love that book!

Oh, and it's okay if all those Valentines aren't colored by hand.

I have my kids draw *one* good picture each, scan it, and then print as many copies as we need.

Yes, he made it on the computer and then colored them. I think he did 5 really well, 20 not so well and I just taped candy on the the rest...

Yes. Last week it was very hard for us here. I think this time of year is difficult. I got frustrated and panicky. I was certain no one was learning anything and they would never progress. It made me grumpy. I wasn't a good teacher or momma. We school year round, nearly every day. We took a one week break. I have never taken time off before. I was insecure about it but surprisingly it went well. We went places, did a few crafts, read some, read some more, played in the snow, cleaned the van, stocked up on supplies, etc. We started back today and it was SO much better! I think I needed an attitude adjustment as did they. Please know I am not trying to say you need an attitude adjustment, just explaining that yep, some days/weeks are hard but you can do it! It's a marathon not a sprint. It sounds like your ds is doing great! You don't have to be the source of all learning, you are facilitating so many great experiences. His learning will proceed at different paces in all activities. Sometimes the progress will be with you and sometimes it will be enhanced by his play, the coop, or other activities. Do what you think you need for both of you, take a break, change up the activities, just hang on and you'll get there. HTH.

Not every week will be productive. That's why we have *breaks*. Some weeks, you will need to look at what you have to do, what you've done in the past, and what you still need to do for the year, and just say, "We are ahead in our studies, and we have xyz commitments this week... I declare this week a BREAK!"

My young 6 year old K'er does not always get school 5 days per week. Some days we don't do math or handwriting (I *try* to get reading in every day, because he's still learning to read). He's ahead in math, so I'm not concerned if we don't do a lesson one or even two days.

I do feel sorry for your son having to color 50 Valentines though. My kids' hands would have fallen off. :lol: I totally buy the pre-done Valentines that are super cheap. My kids don't like coloring. :D

Shake it off. No need to send your kid to school because of one off week. ;)

Funny, I was just downstairs preping for next week, and I realized my 2nd grader has only covered 4 weeks of math in the past 7 weeks. So I know what you mean about fearing you are not getting enough done. I'll tell you what I tell myself, It's a journey, not a race. that is what separates us from regular schooling.

I think you are doing an awesome job!

Not every week will be productive. That's why we have *breaks*. Some weeks, you will need to look at what you have to do, what you've done in the past, and what you still need to do for the year, and just say, "We are ahead in our studies, and we have xyz commitments this week... I declare this week a BREAK!"

My young 6 year old K'er does not always get school 5 days per week. Some days we don't do math or handwriting (I *try* to get reading in every day, because he's still learning to read). He's ahead in math, so I'm not concerned if we don't do a lesson one or even two days.

I do feel sorry for your son having to color 50 Valentines though. My kids' hands would have fallen off. :lol: I totally buy the pre-done Valentines that are super cheap. My kids don't like coloring. :D

Shake it off. No need to send your kid to school because of one off week. ;)

CLARIFICATION: I did not make him color ALL the valentines. That was the plan. But it quickly became apparent that was not going to happen. He did as much as he could and I just put candies on them. I will definitely reconsider the store bought packages for next year...

CLARIFICATION: I did not make him color ALL the valentines. That was the plan. But it quickly became apparent that was not going to happen. He did as much as he could and I just put candies on them. I will definitely reconsider the store bought packages for next year...

You know, this is totally something I would have done at that age, too! Then I'd be in the same position - realizing that my kid couldn't color that many (at that age, my oldest didn't really color at all). Live and learn. :D

Since beginning hs'ing, I have learned to mentally prepare for those types of weeks....b/c they are a guarantee. We just step back, try to get some fresh air and re-group. Snuggling up and reading good books is always a good antidote. ((hugs))

Here's to a better week next week! :). Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Relax

Some days are like that. Even in Australia. :D

Mandy

LOVE IT. So much, it may just go up on my china cabinet in our school area.

I'm a fellow rookie with a K'er. I didn't really believe in the February blues until it hit. Yesterday we did handwriting, read books, and baked pie from scratch, that's it. Today was the most productive day we've had all week. I'm just feeling the Feb burnout and ready for warmer weather so we can get OUT of the house, I don't care how muddy we get!

I was really surprised how much better year 2 was than year 1, and then how much better year 3 has been than year 2. Year 2 was better largely because I had much too high expectations in year 1, and I adjusted my expectations. It was also better because I found curricula that were a much better fit for us. Year 3 has been so much better, because dd's skills have improved so much, and I have continued to adjust my expectations. Hang in there! It will get better!

I have a few thoughts.

First, based on what you wrote, it sounds like you got a lot done, just not what in hindsight you wish you had accomplished.

One thing all homeschoolers have to learn is how to judge what is realistically feasible to accomplish in a given period of time. Over-committing to outside activities will absolutely undermine academic commitments at home. Young children and those with special needs are more likely to react to non-routine days and have them be "junked" as far as productivity.

Fwiw, he sounds like he reacted like any 5 yo would to the week you described. With my k and1st graders, days that seem to be imploding lead to me dropping regular work and switching to alternative approaches.......more storytime, silly math games, creative teaching ideas, etc. or for days with field trips, non-regular appts to scrap school altogether.

Another thing that is often overlooked that can really impact how a homeschool functions is creating a schedule that allows both teacher and children to function at their highest levels of performance consistently. For example, 6-7 weeks is about my max threshold for functioning w/o a break. I need a wk off to get our household back in order, revive myself, etc.

We all have off days and even weeks. Sometimes it is just a horrible, no good,bad day. Other times we have set up our days in a way that actually contribute to it. Knowing the root cause can make all the difference in remaining sane long term bc it every age/yr/combo of kids/subjects brings its own kinks to sort through.

As one of my favorite characters would say, the good thing about tomorrow is that it is there waiting for you with no mistakes in it........good reminder for both parents and kids. ;)

When my wife told me she had happily scheduled a short week this week (Mon-Wed) I initially questioned it. But now I'm so glad she did. The kids got things done earlier in anticipation of a much needed break. Then they enjoyed our unseasonably warm weather playing and having fun, making cards, etc... And I realized *again* this is one of the beauties of homeschooling. You get to take time off when you and your children need it vs. when all the public schools tell you you can. As others have said don't sweat the small stuff. Maybe take a few extra days off next year during this same time as a part of your plan.

For what it's worth, I go through crisis-mode every February. Suddenly my kids are way behind (even when they aren't) and all of my curriculum choices are terrible (even when they're working). I read in a book once that you need to forbid yourself to make any major changes in the month of February. I am not a person who can just "relax". It stresses me out more, so I tend to spend a good week going over our books and schedule and I make a list of things I feel suddenly aren't working. Then I just keep on going. If I still feel like something isn't working a couple of weeks later, then I will change it. That's just what works for me. This is our 5th year homeschooling and I think that February is a month where it's survival at all costs. Do whatever you have to do. This too shall pass.

I have a few thoughts.

First, based on what you wrote, it sounds like you got a lot done, just not what in hindsight you wish you had accomplished.

One thing all homeschoolers have to learn is how to judge what is realistically feasible to accomplish in a given period of time. Over-committing to outside activities will absolutely undermine academic commitments at home. Young children and those with special needs are more likely to react to non-routine days and have them be "junked" as far as productivity.

Fwiw, he sounds like he reacted like any 5 yo would to the week you described. With my k and1st graders, days that seem to be imploding lead to me dropping regular work and switching to alternative approaches.......more storytime, silly math games, creative teaching ideas, etc. or for days with field trips, non-regular appts to scrap school altogether.

Another thing that is often overlooked that can really impact how a homeschool functions is creating a schedule that allows both teacher and children to function at their highest levels of performance consistently. For example, 6-7 weeks is about my max threshold for functioning w/o a break. I need a wk off to get our household back in order, revive myself, etc.

We all have off days and even weeks. Sometimes it is just a horrible, no good,bad day. Other times we have set up our days in a way that actually contribute to it. Knowing the root cause can make all the difference in remaining sane long term bc it every age/yr/combo of kids/subjects brings its own kinks to sort through.

As one of my favorite characters would say, the good thing about tomorrow is that it is there waiting for you with no mistakes in it........good reminder for both parents and kids. ;)

Very well said. I already am re-evaluating next year. I'm a part of three home school groups: one a co-op we do 3 out of 4 weeks, one a social group for special occasions and field trips, and one that is a co-op but we don't do the classes, just the fun social things with them. When it comes to a holiday week, all the social only groups get together and it really is too much!! So we definitely need to back off in the coming weeks and months. You are right, 5 year olds can only take so much!

I was feeling a bit like this this week, so I flipped back and looked at the work the kids were doing in September and the difference is HUGE! All that hard work is produing fruit. Sometimes it's hard to see week by week, but it's there when you look at it over time. Keep it up, mama! Your doing a great job :)

I think if we're honest with ourselves, most of us have that panic feeling at least once a year.

My panic this year is the same, and it happened at the same time of year: Math. Can I teach this? She's just not getting it. Should I change curriculum? No, stay the course. You can get her a tutor. Oh, she's getting it again. Clear sailing. Summer...repeat each year.

:grouphug:

That was a week ago for me. My super-introverted kid broke down and begged to back to school next year because he missed his friends. My first grader demanded that school no longer exist. The toddler and I had a cold making us cranky and exhausted. I ended up brainstorming ways for my 8 year old to develop friendships with kids his age.

Hearing that Feb. is hard for everyone has been good. We're ready to run around outside without snowpants and extra socks.

December was always my panic month. I knew what wasn't working and wanted to start January off with a bang, but couldn't afford what I thought I needed. I actually used to settle down by February. Now I'm currently tutoring adults, and here once the long days start in the Spring some of my friends/students/neighbors get manic and then set off everyone around them. June is pretty nutty here!!!!! and January when the days have been short, they get all depressed. We all have our cycles, and once we know what they are, we move through them a little more calmly, and can plan for them.

Also, it's important not to measure progress against the MYTH of public school. I don't think everyone should measure themselves against PS at all, but if they do, it needs to be the REALITY not the myth. I used to sob in fear and guilt about all I was not able to provide for my boys, both when they were in school and at home. I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self that my best was ALWAYS good enough, and that pushing into the pain zone was self-neglect and role-modeled bad behavior to my boys.

A healthy and calm home is the heart of HOMEschooling, and mom is the captain of the ship. Sometimes academics come easier and fall into place when mom pulls back to take care of herself and the home FIRST. Even now with students instead of children, I've had to pull back and work on teaching self-soothing, healthy habits, schedules, boundary issues with each other, etc., and get some cooking and cleaning done, before buckling back down to academics. After that so much more learning gets done. Sometimes a shocking amount.

:grouphug:

1. He's 5.

2. He's already "very advanced."

3. It was Valentine's day. In the end, you'll be glad he had a fun week, not stressed that you didn't really do school..

4. He's 5.

5. What will you do next year? You'll get a little better, a little stronger. He'll get a little better, a little stronger. And all will be well until he reaches the logic stage and you're hyperventilating into a paper bag. Ask me how I know.

It was just an awful week in terms of school. Three different Valentine's day get-togethers with different friends. More than 50 valentines to color. And a cranky kid who just wanted to play and whine about every little thing I asked him to do from collecting the laundry to clearing the table, not even to get started on SCHOOL. And the bottom line is we got NO school work done at home all week.

There is absolutely no way I would have done 3 Valentine's Day events. I would agree to one. If the kids complained about it, I would offer attending none as an alternative. They know I'd follow through with going to none too.

My five year old is very advanced so I don't know what I'm so stressed. He can read. He usually likes to do math. He can tell you all about the ear (which is what he learned about in his enrichment co-op science class this week). He DID put his face in the water at homeschool P.E. on Tuesday. There is progress over last week, I suppose.

Imagine what a ps teacher has to deal with when one or two disruptive students, special events, or activities derail a whole classroom full of kids. A little loss in a week is easily made up in the next in a homeschool. My middle daughter didn't start learning to read until she was almost 8. She's 15 and doing very well academically, but it was slow in coming.

But I have nothing to show in terms of mother-directed schooling this week. Nothing that I can see. I know it all is okay in the long run, but I still just feel it was a wasted week...This is the week I felt for the first time that I really WANT to just send him out the door to public school and take a deep breath in the peace and quiet of my home (ha! with my baby that won't happen, but maybe it will be a little quieter!).

Homeschooling can be very messy. You just can't let a bump or two in the road cause you to throw in the towel. Life happens and your kids have to see that when life happens, school is adjusted accordingly and everyone moves forward until the next bump in the road, then everyone adjusts and keeps moving forward. It's an important life skill.

I have friends who've managed through divorces, moves, and chronically ill children. You can handle whatever life throws at you by ignoring your schedule when necessary and doing what you can do when you can do it.

No offense intended here and I'm really not trying to do a one upper or martyr post here, but I want you to know what homeschooling 3 kids for 13 years has been like and it's good even though there have been some miserably tough years for us. Everything listed below usually caused us to change our usual routine during our usual school hours and school days. We managed through it all and the kids are thriving overall-YOU CAN TOO! I'm no genius and I don't have great coping skills. I just keep plugging away at it.

1. I've homeschooled two mid-elementary school aged kids through the anal probe of international adoption (a 2 year process) and a year of hell with our traumatized adoptee transitioning through severe emotional and sleep issues.

2. I've schooled them through two rounds of hospice care with each of my maternal grandparents (my mom's an only child and needed help caring for them.)

3. I've been through my husband working insane hours (80-90 hrs. per week) on a job from hell on site for 9 months (he usually works from home.)

4. Now we're helping his sister with her kids because she's terminally ill at 43 years old.

5.Last year my oldest step-brother's wife's psychiatric problems resulted in me dealing with his family (lots of follow up and accountability, finding professional help when he wouldn't, etc.) and weighing whether or not to call CPS ourselves or having the concerned mutual friend who let me know something was up do it while we renew our foster parent certification so the kids could land at our house. That's on-going. They're not here now but could be at any time.

6. My husband has had brain scans because of his dramatic personality change that followed his crisis of faith and we've had marriage counseling and experienced the endless ups and downs of anti-depressants (which eliminated any possibility of us adopting more kids.) His sister's cancer that returned and is now terminal is a genetic mutation-we researched the possibility and consequences of him being tested because in men it causes terminal (not regular) prostate cancer. Turns out it's a bad idea because of the preexisting condition nightmare that could result, so we'll just have to wonder.

7. It's bad timing because his mother is having problems with being able to walk-probably neurological so she needs us to help because his dad has prostate cancer is having surgery in a few weeks. His sister is in no shape to help so we need to.

8. My mother has debilitating headaches that cause her to be unable to function and my step-dad has foot surgery coming up and will need help if she's feeling bad-for at least 2 months because he's diabetic and can't heal quickly. If these new meds don't solve her problems then it's brain surgery for her-her best friend died while having benign brain tumors removed a couple of years ago, so the stress is making things worse for her.

9. We've missed school days for national archery competitions, moving to NY from AZ on 10 days notice for a 3 month long job in NY back when we schooled year round with a 4 and 6 year old, my daughter's migraines that take her out for 2 days (it took a couple of years to get the meds right) taking care of my dad for a few days out of town after his heart surgery last year, and things like that.

You'll do whatever you need to do. You're a strong, capable, competent woman who will figure it out.

Rebecca