Menu

MCT - Poetry

Nicholas_mom

Hi,

We have the complete set of Grammer Island and we have been doing Practice Island and reading Sentence Island and using Building Langauges. Ds is loving everything about it.

I tried doing some of the Music of the Hemiphere and seem to be stalled in this. It looks like that the last chapter of Building Languages ends is where Music of the Hempheres begins.

Can someone tell me how you are using Music of the Hemipheres?

We have been doing Tea and Poetry for about a year and I thought I would just read Music of the Hempheres then, after I read some poetry. But, DS seems reluctant and doesn't want to do it. I am wondering if i should either wait until we are finishe w/ either SI and/or BL and then start MOH???? Maybe too much of a good thing going on now?

What is Building Poems like in Level 2?

Ds hates it. I read it to him for less than 5 minutes before dumping it. Not his kind of thing at all! Not planning to do poetry for the next level either. Considering how well the other parts of MCT are going (except for Building Language, which is short on substance and rather wordy, but we can speed through it), I'm willing to give poetry a miss.

Maybe it's a gender thing: my 8-year old daughter and I loved it. Like the other posters, we didn't do the poetry writing assignments, but loved to read it aloud together, went through the quizzes, and DD memorized Lake Isle of Innisfree and presented it to her CC class because she liked it so much. She still quotes Emily Dickinson here and there, and is excited to do the poetry in the Town level.

I didn't bother getting MotH because I knew it would go WHOOOSH over my DS' head and would all get repeated in Building Poems anyways. I've taken my oldest through BP twice (1st as part of "town" and then again a year later in conjunction with the poetry lessons in Figuratively Speaking). A lot of it went in one ear and right out the other, but she didn't seem to mind doing the book.

My DS1 is very analytical and would not have enjoyed doing it at home. We used it as part of a co-op, and he seemed to do well with it there (positive peer pressure I think). He wasn't always enthralled, but I got more out of him using it in that setting than I ever would have at home. He does not enjoy writing very much, but wrote some lovely poems, as did the other kids. I think it was one of the parts of MCT Island that I loved the most, because I was shocked at how much DS1 got out of it.

We have MotH but are currently reading Building Language. I think my DS likes MCT mostly because we sit and read it quietly together. ;) I'm not sure how much the content even has to do with his enjoyment of the curriculum! So far we've read and discussed Sentence Island, the first Mud trilogy book, and half of Building Language. He really enjoys it. I'm hoping MotH will be the same, but since I'm mostly just reading them with him for a gentle intro to these topics, rather than a full curriculum, if it yields nothing more than some quiet reading time together, I'm ok with that.

My ds would say that he liked it, but in reality we mostly went on tangents about WWI tanks, and he got very little out of the intended purpose. I'm undecided on whether or not to do it again next year. On one hand I just want ds to get exposure to language, but on the other most of it just goes over his head anyway.

Mukmuk - we are having the same experience with BL too.