Menu

D’Aulaire’s Book of Greek Myths or Usborne Greek Myths for Young Children ???

momtolgd

This is for ages 8 and 6. I'm not sure if D'aulaire's would be too old for my 6yo since it's recommended for grades 3-6? Would the Usborne be too young for my 8yo? I know I'll want D'aulaire's book in a few years anyway, but I don't want it to be over the head of my dd this year.

Which would you buy? :confused1:

Last year when I asked the same question I was advised to wait and use D'Aulaire's when my boys were older. I purchased Usborne and we loved, loved, loved it. It probably isn't the classic that D'Aulaire's is but it is much easier for younger ones to enjoy as a first taste of mythology!

Hth

Have you had a chance to look at both of them (from a library, perhaps)? I think that way you will get a better sense for which would be best for your particular children.

Mine loved D'Aulaire's - I think we got it when they were 6 or 7. But as other posts show, it depends on the individual child.

Best wishes,

Lydia

Thanks everyone. I decided to go ahead and get both (there is a mini version of the Usborne one that is less than $6 at rainbow resource center). I also decided to go ahead and buy Aliki's Gods and Goddesses of Olympus as well. I'm so excited about doing Ancients this year! :D