Menu

Another horse peeps question.

Remudamom

Tons of kids/parents think they want me to teach them to ride/drive. I haven't a lot of patience (miracle we made it through 20+years of homeschooling). Anyhow, to me it's very obvious immediately if a kid's got what it takes to ride. All I have to do is ask them to lead the horse across the yard.

Do you think you've either got it or you don't?

And secondly.... I think I know a little girl who doesn't have a horse but wants to ride. I think she has the co-jos for the job. How much do you worry about someone getting hurt on your horse? Is there anyway to really protect yourself?

I agree that there are some people who are naturally gifted with horses, but I also feel that even if someone isn't that natural around them, they can be taught how to handle and ride horses safely. And should be given that chance, if at all possible, because the benefits would be so great. Out of my four, two are naturals with horses and two enjoy them, but are not especially talented. They each get the benefit and enjoyment of being with horses.

I don't think I would feel comfortable leasing out my horse or anything like that. I really don't have any ideas for you there. I would help someone find a horse that is suitable for them and then help them learn how to ride that one, but I wouldn't offer up one of our horses. Too many lawsuits and such waiting to happen.

Honestly, I would thoroughly investigate your insurance options/liability. No matter how great your relationship with the parents, if something unthinkable happened to their child, their insurance (health/homeowners/whatever) might *force* them to sue you at least for costs....

I don't know if it's different if money is changing hands or if its free.

I've seen dedication go a long way with kids that simply, truly WANT to ride, even if they don't have *it*. That is far more important to me than natural talent, though those kids can be a lot of fun too, of course.

That said, you either wanna teach or you don't. I quit teaching when I didn't want to do it anymore.

I worry about liability a lot, so no, I would not teach someone unless I was properly covered. I doubt it would be worth it to you financially to get good coverage just to teach one person. When I taught, I went to a large-ish show barn that had all the requisite insurance and simply added me to their policy.

I had lots to learn. I don't know if I'd consider myself a natural, but I love working with horses (most days, lol)

Check your state laws. Here we cannot be liable for injuries from horse incidences. We even have signs made up as to the statute and posted in the barn (many people I know do) and Waivers have to be signed before people can ride my horses (and no strangers either).

I am about to take on three new students tomorrow. Two have natural ability one doesn't, but the one that doesn't has drive and parental support. It is going to be interesting.

One of my least "naturally talented" students has turned into an impressive eventer and another who had loads of natural ability has completely walked away from it. There are just so many variables.

Tons of kids/parents think they want me to teach them to ride/drive. I haven't a lot of patience (miracle we made it through 20+years of homeschooling). Anyhow, to me it's very obvious immediately if a kid's got what it takes to ride. All I have to do is ask them to lead the horse across the yard.

Do you think you've either got it or you don't?

And secondly.... I think I know a little girl who doesn't have a horse but wants to ride. I think she has the co-jos for the job. How much do you worry about someone getting hurt on your horse? Is there anyway to really protect yourself?

I was a bit paranoid and only let my own son ride our horse. I once made the mistake of calling an Equine Insurance to inquire what my liability is and came away hyperventilating. Of course, keep in mind this is CA where most common sense has slipped into the ocean...if my horse as much as sneezed on someone I supposedly could have been sued. I never got the insurance and nobody outside of my family ever rode him even though it would have been hard to fall off of him since he was so gentle and a gaited horse.

Well, I don't have the natural talent but I did/am learning to ride and really enjoying it. My 16dd isn't really a "natural" but she is loving horses and shows at low level 4H, open shows, little jumping shows, etc. and has a great time. My 17dd has a naturally good seat and horses just respond well to her. She though is mentally impaired and doesn't have the mental quickness to learn more advanced riding---but she sure is darn cute at 100# and 4'10" up on a clydesdale or percheron.

We have an umbrella policy which helps cover us for horse stuff. I just use lots of caution and take my risks.