Menu

Living Math Books (& fun games)--Recommendation request

pehp

I would love some recommendations for living math books and math games for the kindergarten -Ish to first grade-ish level. My son adores LOF (we are doing Apples) & I am wanting to do some more 'fun math ' stuff. We play with c-rods a little bit as well.

Thank you!

We started using RightStart Games .....We LOVE it! We just started using it with my 1st, 4th, and 7th graders. I bought my set on the classifieds section of the forum.....It was discounted and everything in it was unused and still in wrappers.....So check out the classifieds b/c you may luck out!

Here is a link to some living math books on amazon that my neighbor uses.......There is a lot more in the series if you just search for "I Love Math" books.

do you know the website livingmath.net? but basically i just went to the math section in the kids section of library and browsed. of course, that works better in larger libraries. we didnt start using living math books until my son was at 2nd grade level or 3rd

Mine all liked the Sir Cumference series of books--some were a little over their heads, but the stories held up on their own and the info was there in their heads when we got there. They enjoy the game Sum Swamp, and there are a number of fun math games in the book Family Math that we enjoyed as well.

Along the lines of the Sir Cumference books, any of the books that say "A Math Adventure" under the title are good. I'm not sure if they are a series or not, but they do seem to all be related. We have "The Miltiplying Menace" books, "What's Your Angle, Pythagorous?", "Cut Down to Size at High Noon" (my kids love that one), "A Place for Zero", and "Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream" in the Math Adventure series. We also have a ton of Mathstart books by Stuart J. Murphy. These are quite good as well. And Anno's Math Games books are very good. The "Greedy Triangle" is also a favorite here. Also, have a look at Crewton Ramone's House of Math (a website).

Otherwise I think everyone else's suggestions are excellent. If you go with what has been mentioned on this thread you will have a very good start!

Thank you SO much!!!

I love Rosie's videos. In fact we watched a couple today and played around w/ the c-rods together. They are so useful.

THank you for all the book and website recs! My son finished LOF apples in a really short time so onward we go to Butterflies (I just ordered it today!), but I want more interesting math books that he will like. He loves math and I want to keep it engaging for him. We will be starting Miquon Orange at some point this year--I haven't decided when yet.

I need to start a list of resources!! Thanks again.....

All the previous suggestions are great.

Wanted to add Peggy Kay's "Games for Math." These are great ten-minute games/challenges, and I swear my first grade teacher must have owned this book because we played a lot of them in her class. (I still remember that Antarctica is worth $1.00 in letters.) The games are all designed to develop children's thinking skills while having fun.